End of Season QB Transfer?

If Bailey were to redshirt then Maurer would be in his third season before any decisions would have to be made. If Maurer’s as good as you and Little keep selling then declaring for the draft becomes a possibility. Bailey seems the type to feel confident in making your boy sit, but it could be a matter of a year.

I wish Harrison Bailey looked at this way.

But he doesn't seem the type to like competition. Is he visiting anywhere else that has an established QB? He's a top 100 type player, those dudes can go wherever they want.

Also, say he redshirts. Next year Maurer still doesn't leave early. Well He takes over as a RS SO with more than likely a MUCH improved roster than what Maurer ever probably had the previous 3 years.

But he's looking at visiting Mich State?? I mean....that doesn't strike me as guy that wants to be Elite.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Typically, most teams like to keep about 4 scholly QBs on the team at any given time. Sometimes you get others who are at new positions but could still play QB in a pinch (Jennings).

You also ideally would have a good skill mix with two experienced Jrs & Srs and two inexperienced underclassmen. Then there are walk-on QBs 2-3 for emergency situations.

I don't think you have a Junior and a Senior that are capable of starting in the SEC on the roster at the same time anymore. Or capable of starting anywhere. Maybe a redshirt, a redshirt freshman, some kind of sophomore and an upperclassman at most. Guys that can play are going to transfer after the writing is on the wall. Might get another grad transfer ourselves like Hill.

I just think the days of Darryl Dickey or Pat Ryan willing to be a journeyman backup qb for a career are over. It's been that way for awhile. Brandon Stewart, Rattay, Shaeffer, Suggs, Ferguson, Dormady, Peterson...... I'm sure I'm leaving a few off.

Last edited:
I mentioned in another tgread, and not saying he will, but Saturday and his little time in the swamp, Maurer reminded me of Casey. He just didn't look scared at all, maybe he's got the grit we need.

JG is a tough nut. Just can't play QB. Maurer might be the savior we all hope he is, but he's still one play from injury. Bailey is a true freshman. Even Peyton needed some time to adjust. Hill is a mystery but from the video I've seen, he's a band-aid not a cure. Gimme another, more seasoned guy in the group for next year.

Reactions: joevol33
Sorry to interject, but this is precisely why I don't want to go into next season with three relatively unproven commodities in Maurer, Bailey and hill. Pruitt is insane if he doesn't grab another transfer or JUCO guy in this class. Maurer may be the next Clausen, but he'd still be one missed block away from injury. Damn sure don't want another season without viable and somewhat proven options as backups.
Who’d want to transfer into HERE short of being guaranteed the starting job? Hill isn’t exactly unproven. Started several games over two seasons.

“Just for the record......... I haven’t been wrong yet either. Take it for what it’s worth.”
His exact words copied and pasted!
“I’m never wrong” isn’t the same as “I haven’t been wrong YET.” First quote rules out any possibility of such. Can’t believe I’m debating this. 🤦‍♂️

I wish Harrison Bailey looked at this way.

But he doesn't seem the type to like competition. Is he visiting anywhere else that has an established QB? He's a top 100 type player, those dudes can go wherever they want.

Also, say he redshirts. Next year Maurer still doesn't leave early. Well He takes over as a RS SO with more than likely a MUCH improved roster than what Maurer ever probably had the previous 3 years.

But he's looking at visiting Mich State?? I mean....that doesn't strike me as guy that wants to be Elite.
I don’t know where you got your profile on him...and I don’t agree with you. On this subject, you believed wholeheartedly in Maurer and (so far) you’ve been correct. I think you’ve overextended yourself scouting his possible competition. You don’t know what’s inside this kid and you’re reaching at flaws.

My thing is that Hill's stats at Md wasn't that impressive. 49% with 9 td and 4 Interceptions in 10 games in 2018 at Maryland.

Those are Backup numbers to me.
Passing Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Maryland Big Ten FRQB 3 18 21 85.7 230 11.0 12.9 2 0 209.1
2018 Maryland Big Ten FRQB 10 84 170 49.4 1083 6.4 6.4 9 4 115.7
Career Maryland 13 102 191 53.4 1313 6.9 7.1 11 4 126.0
Those are JG-esque numbers..

I don’t know where you got your profile on him...and I don’t agree with you. On this subject, you believed wholeheartedly in Maurer and (so far) you’ve been correct. I think you’ve overextended yourself scouting his possible competition. You don’t know what’s inside this kid and you’re reaching at flaws.

Could be.

It just seems appropriate to me that it got out he decided to take visits the week Brian was set to start.

And then he's keeping quiet about where?

I've watched plenty of film on him.
Biggest arm in highschool. Him and the the St John Bosco Clemson commit.

Personality wise, I've never talked to him, but many other evaluators have expressed the same concern. He's got a bit of an attitude, and not the good kind.

I stand true, that I can think he will NOT be part of this class. Chaney didn't even recruit him while at UGA...
But we sure went after Haynes King.

Could be.

It just seems appropriate to me that it got out he decided to take visits the week Brian was set to start.

And then he's keeping quiet about where?

I've watched plenty of film on him.
Biggest arm in highschool. Him and the the St John Bosco Clemson commit.

Personality wise, I've never talked to him, but many other evaluators have expressed the same concern. He's got a bit of an attitude, and not the good kind.

I stand true, that I can think he will NOT be part of this class. Chaney didn't even recruit him while at UGA...
But we sure went after Haynes King.
He offer Haynes King...at UGA? Can you link “other evaluators” or was that hottub talk?

If Bailey runs from Maurer, he clearly isn't what we need.

This is correct.
Real QB competition makes a QB better.

JG made it easy for Maurer to come in.

IF Bailey does come here, I believe Brian will have to step it up in regards to his presnap reads, route progression and timing. Which he is entirely capable of.

At UGA Jacob Eason couldn't take the job back from Fromm. Fields couldn't take it from him period. And both of those guys are future ALL-Conference QBs and NFL guys.
But that competition made all 3 better QBs!

He offer Haynes King...at UGA? Can you link “other evaluators” or was that hottub talk?

I'm not linking anything for you. Use the internet Butchna

When he dropped out of the top 100, he was best QB at that camp yet dropped. It all had to do with his attitude...

I'm not linking anything for you. Use the internet Butchna

When he dropped out of the top 100, he was best QB at that camp yet dropped. It all had to do with his attitude...
So your fellow evaluators have names? Gotta get Googling...cough em up!

Reactions: LittleVol
As a 2-year starter and Junior getting bumped for a freshman, JG's options are limited. He has no football career after college and would likely need to go to D-II for any chance as a starter.

He should stick it out as backup
Why he will have graduated. JG will transfer if he is the backup the rest of the year.

If HB shows up, Maurer may leave as well. Not concerned as I do not see a single QB in the current roster as a long term answer. Maurer is an upgrade over JG, however.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
If HB shows up, Maurer may leave as well. Not concerned as I do not see a single QB in the current roster as a long term answer. Maurer is an upgrade over JG, however.
But you’re not a master evaluater or QB whisperer are you? If so I’m really confused, because we’ve already been told BM is the future by 2 guys that have never been wrong

But you’re not a master evaluater or QB whisperer are you? If so I’m really confused, because we’ve already been told BM is the future by 2 guys that have never been wrong

I'd actually like to hear his opinion.

Nobody but me and the other guy have offered any analysis.

Maybe. He has to sign and then go out and compete first.

Why do you think he is better?

VN Store

Back