End of half coaching

I'm more concerned with the 1st quarter TOP in the last two games... I mean one time I dropped my cheetos right when we got the ball back after our first TD on Mizzou, looked up and we had 28 on the board... How am I supposed to watch a game like that? At first I thought I was abducted by aliens again and they must have dropped me off a minute off correct time.. 🤷🏻
We've outscored opponents like 120 to 40...don't have the exact number but I recall Golic pointing it out Saturday.

I'll take that everyday as we've been on the opposite end of that stat for far too long.

We've outscored opponents like 120 to 40...don't have the exact number but I recall Golic pointing it out Saturday.

I'll take that everyday as we've been on the opposite end of that stat for far too long.
I think he was being facetious, Indiana. Complimenting our prolific offense by complaining about how a man doesn't even have time to drop some cheeetos any more. :)

break/break

@FïreBall, you just gotta be on your A-game to keep up, brother. Don't fumble the cheetos on this offense!

It doesnt need correcting. Execution of that series could use some correction. Time management does not.

Having the opponets personnel on the field that you want there is more important to this staff than a few extra seconds. It is unconventional but this offensive staff appears to approach things in an unconventional manner in most things.
So you think it’s ok to waste a third of the time, miss chances at the ending, then call timeout, and there’s no problem 😌. It would be one thing if they actually got a play off. But even if you guys claiming fast pace are right (you’re not), they still didn’t even get the play off!! So by your own statements, it was a failure because they didn’t run a play and still called time out

That was pretty clearly a goof. They were trying to keep the tempo going but the execution was off. Looked a touch confused. That’s how we get better though, is to practice situations like that and hopefully they all learned something to take forward.

Btw I can think the coaches did a fantastic job in the first half and still point out where there were failures or mistakes. The two are not mutually exclusive and I am sure the coaches themselves are doing the same thing.

I do not look at this situation as critical as I think that Heupel knew he could put 70 on a relative good USC defense if he wanted to. I also think that is the reason they put it in cruise control for the whole second half.

Now, if you want to talk about Butch and his clock mismanagement right before the half of the 2013 UGA game, I am still hot about that. That is the game that Pig fumbled through the end zone.

Reactions: ButchPlz

The last three games, we’ve scored first half points. Second half has been pretty bad tho, with just 24 points total over those three games.

That was pretty clearly a goof. They were trying to keep the tempo going but the execution was off. Looked a touch confused. That’s how we get better though, is to practice situations like that and hopefully they all learned something to take forward.

Btw I can think the coaches did a fantastic job in the first half and still point out where there were failures or mistakes. The two are not mutually exclusive and I am sure the coaches themselves are doing the same thing.
I'm pretty sure Heupel himself has noted that multiple times.

That said, I'll be aggressive about it. Anyone pissed about not using timeouts at the end of the first half there is clueless. The point of the offense is unrelenting pressure.

What's a timeout do but give a breather to a defense that is in the process of getting the sh*t kicked out of them? When you're in a fight and the other guy is on the ropes do you ever say "hey buddy I'm gonna pause here for a second and let you stand back up"? The only times SC really stopped us on that drive were out of the stoppages in play.

Like has been said repeatedly- SC was taking 8, 9, 10 minutes to score. They can't go quick enough to come back. You always always always use that opportunity at real life speed to reinforce in your players your own commitment and belief in your system. Buy in has to be DEMONSTRATED from the top.

Reactions: redge and VFL-82-JP
OP I made a similar comment to yours about Heup "mismanaging" the clock during the game. Like somebody else mentioned this is not conventional thinking in how games are managed and so at a glance looks like a huge mistake. But if you think about it, it really isn't. And as someone else said when you're up by 3 scores on SC or Mizzou you manage things much more differently than you would if you are up 3 scores on a team like Alabama, Georgia or Ole Miss.

You need to learn our coaches offensive philosophy before publicly speaking foolishness. He values the tempo and preventing the sub than the 5secs he lost. It is how he plays and is baked into everything he does.

Ok, you make a good point. I'm not so hard headed to not admit that.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
End of half coaching?
We put an end to half-coaching by firing Pruitt.
I wish that were true, and I appreciate your humor. But honestly our second half offense has been mediocre at best for an offensive minded coach. Maybe it just comes down to depth tho

This offense depends on not letting the defense substitute. If they run plays quick enough the defense can't blitz, or run anything other than a base defense. Calling timeouts gives the defense a chance to regroup and adjust personnel. Also, we probably aren't good enough with our roster without the fast-play advantages to really beat a good defense yet straight up.

This has been discussed to death on here. You are not bringing anything new. Let it go.
I’m sure it has. I admittedly have a life outside of here. But I didn’t see a thread about it, although I’m sure there is one if you can point me to it. Such an obvious mistake would have been discussed thoroughly, although the peanut squad on this thread think it was intentional.
Merge away mods

My guess is they were going at their fastest offensive pace and thought they had the SC defense on their hills. A timeout would have allowed SC to regroup and substitute players which CJH didn’t want. So in his judgment it was worth losing some clock to not slow things down. Again, just my guess
That's what CJH said.

It's just a different perspective on clock management, and neither is necessarily "right". You could have called a TO, gotten three shots at it and not scored. You could go fast, keep them on their heels, and scored (actually saw this happen several times while watching his UCF games over the off season).

Like it or not, CJH dances with who got him in the red zone, and that's tempo.

This offense depends on not letting the defense substitute. If they run plays quick enough the defense can't blitz, or run anything other than a base defense. Calling timeouts gives the defense a chance to regroup and adjust personnel. Also, we probably aren't good enough with our roster without the fast-play advantages to really beat a good defense yet straight up.
So according to your logic, and others on this thread trying to come up with a reason, we still screwed up. We got to the line to hurry up, but STILL called the timeout and didn’t get the play off

It’s been a couple days, so hopefully I won’t get hate for posting a “negative” thread. But I have to point out the poor clock management at the end of the first half.

We get down to what, inside the twenty with 30 seconds left, with 3 timeouts if I remember right. For some unknown reason, we let a third of the clock expire, running down to just twenty seconds. Why in the world did we not use a timeout there? Did he mention it in the postgame?

similarly, with 11 seconds to go, get a first down and then instead of Using a timeout, let another 2 seconds runoff and then call one. Anyone notice this and hear an explanation?
glad for the win but that was poor decision making.

You aren’t wrong, and it’s happened in multiple games. Clock management is not great so far under JH.

And, I do understand points others have made, and drew the same conclusion in real time, that we were keeping them from subbing and on their heels. However, that doesn’t invalidate your argument.

What it boils down to is, even though we are all happy and pleased with the trajectory of the team, most everyone firmly on the JH train, the coach fanboys will not allow even the slightest criticism or questioning of their hero (insert UT football coach here).

It’s weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldvol
You're assuming it needs "corrected".
Everyone on here has admitted a problem, whether they know it or not. Either he should have called a time out to get more plays, or they should have actually run a play before wasting a third of the time and then calling time out. Either way, yes, it needs to be corrected

Please tell me how wasting a third of the remaining time which made us miss at least two opportunities for end zone throws when you have 3 timeouts is not an awful coaching decision…. Announcers were shocked themselves. It’s an obvious blunder, albeit when we’re in a winning position. That doesn’t make it less of a blunder, to be missing out on points.
if it’s 20-17 going into the half and we make that same mistake against ole miss, I’m going to be extra pissed

They already did.

And announcers announce. If they could coach, they'd upgrade their gig.

They already did.

And announcers announce. If they could coach, they'd upgrade their gig.
No, I’ve only heard , “we run a hurry up to get the defense off balance”. The problem with that logic is we didn’t even run a play, still called the time out and still wasted a third of the clock

No, i don’t think they will care if I’m pissed. But that doesn’t make me less pissed about stupid coaching mistakes.
and why would they make bad decisions against bad opponents, but you think they just suddenly will stop making them when it comes crunch time? I imagine more mistakes would be revealed against good opponents than bad ones
I hate to break this to you, but with your attitude, we don't care how pissed you are either.

Basically, you're not here to discuss. You're here to let a tantrum build while ignoring alternative perspectives.

Just get it out and get it over with.

Because this is a football forum, where we discuss strategy, tactics, and coaching decisions. And a win is as good a time as any to go over rbad decisions. Hopefully it gets corrected because they will not be excused as easily in a loss[/QUOTE]
Or maybe it’s like you’re on page 1 of coaching 101 and they are on page 21.
There might be a time in the future that in a close game and we don’t have timeouts to burn they’ve been in the situation before

I hate to break this to you, but with your attitude, we don't care how pissed you are either.

Basically, you're not here to discuss. You're here to let a tantrum build while ignoring alternative perspectives.

The worst ones are the ones that try to paint themselves as reasonable but are just the same big old manchildren.

I’m just talking football strategy. Make good decisions, even when winning the game. No one has made a good argument for the decision, which was very bad, and a few clear minded people on here Can actually see it was bad in spite of positive result

VN Store

Back