Encouraging tidbit from Maria C.’s story about the schedule...

lvocd

Full schedule set for Lady Vols!

Here is the paragraph that made me happy:

Harper is setting the tone of expectations early – Pat Summitt always said a coach can start tough and get nice but not the reverse – and reinforcing fundamentals, especially the principles of boxing out. Harper is a Summitt protégé, and the comparisons, while expected, should cease to be the focus once the season gets underway.

——————————

In other words, Kellie is being a hard-@ss in practice, and she’s more laser-focused on getting the players ready to play than she is whether they like her or not.

HALLELEUJAH!!!!!

Of course, this kind of head coach is probably shocking to the returning players, but my hope is that, like with Pat, they develop a deep respect and confidence in what their coach is telling them, even if they don’t always enjoy the tone of how she’s saying it.

Lord knows Kellie probably doesn't necessarily WANT to have to be a hard-@ss — she seems like a naturally-sweet woman — but if there’s any hope of reversing the “losing mindset” that was leftover from previous years, then she really has no choice. Kellie MUST shake the “loser” out of the returners, even if it means they sometimes have to go to a nicer assistant coach to cry on her shoulder about how mean ol’ Kellie is picking on them. Sound familiar? :D

Love these Lady Vols. Love our Lady Vol coaches. Looking forward to seeing how an intensely-disciplined preseason translates into improved fundamentals and more confident body language.

The mental mistakes that this team made under Holly has certainly led to some bad habits for some of the players that have been here on the floor. Getting that corrected is essential to winning games and I am glad that is the direction we are going. Doing things like boxing out or making an intelligent pass or defending the perimeter are things we have failed to do properly the last few seasons. We need and have a new approach and I am optimistic that we'll be a lot better next season.

The mental mistakes that this team made under Holly has certainly led to some bad habits for some of the players that have been here on the floor. Getting that corrected is essential to winning games and I am glad that is the direction we are going. Doing things like boxing out or making an intelligent pass or defending the perimeter are things we have failed to do properly the last few seasons. We need and have a new approach and I am optimistic that we'll be a lot better next season.

Coach Harper referenced needing to improve fundamentals when reflecting on the Europe trip. The plus side is that she a lot of new players who are learning rather than having to be re-conditioned but it is going to take time to make this transition. That is why have I cautioned that folks need to expect some early bumps in the road.

When they start winning on a regular basis, they will give their respect and confidence. Sounds like the same thing happened with CRB.

Reactions: sccshortstop
Coach Harper referenced needing to improve fundamentals when reflecting on the Europe trip. The plus side is that she a lot of new players who are learning rather than having to be re-conditioned but it is going to take time to make this transition. That is why have I cautioned that folks need to expect some early bumps in the road.

It will definitely take time to completely eliminate old bad habits, and any team with half its members in their first year in the program (or their first year on the active roster, like Lou) is going to take some lumps.

BUT, I am no less confident that we’ll see some improvements immediately.

Full schedule set for Lady Vols!

Here is the paragraph that made me happy:

Harper is setting the tone of expectations early – Pat Summitt always said a coach can start tough and get nice but not the reverse – and reinforcing fundamentals, especially the principles of boxing out. Harper is a Summitt protégé, and the comparisons, while expected, should cease to be the focus once the season gets underway.

——————————

In other words, Kellie is being a hard-@ss in practice, and she’s more laser-focused on getting the players ready to play than she is whether they like her or not.

HALLELEUJAH!!!!!

Of course, this kind of head coach is probably shocking to the returning players, but my hope is that, like with Pat, they develop a deep respect and confidence in what their coach is telling them, even if they don’t always enjoy the tone of how she’s saying it.

Lord knows Kellie probably doesn't necessarily WANT to have to be a hard-@ss — she seems like a naturally-sweet woman — but if there’s any hope of reversing the “losing mindset” that was leftover from previous years, then she really has no choice. Kellie MUST shake the “loser” out of the returners, even if it means they sometimes have to go to a nicer assistant coach to cry on her shoulder about how mean ol’ Kellie is picking on them. Sound familiar? :D

Love these Lady Vols. Love our Lady Vol coaches. Looking forward to seeing how an intensely-disciplined preseason translates into improved fundamentals and more confident body language.
Thank you! Your post got me smiling 😊

Teaching boxing out.....Haven't seen much of that around here in quite awhile.

Sounds like there is coach at the other end of the whistle....

It will definitely take time to completely eliminate old bad habits, and any team with half its members in their first year in the program (or their first year on the active roster, like Lou) is going to take some lumps.

BUT, I am no less confident that we’ll see some improvements immediately.

Agreed. If Kellie is indeed the right person for the job, we should expect to see some major improvements right away.

VN Store

Back