Emmanuel Moseley

Don’t have a problem with most of this thinking ceptin the Ferguson/Peterman talk. To embrace this means that they should’ve beat out Dobbs...and they clearly didn’t.
I included them because there was absolutely no indication either was any good when they were at Tennessee. Ferguson was always buried last on the depth chart and Peterman, when he did get chances, was awful. Given that Dobbs didn't even nail down the starting job until the second half of 2014, Butch and the staff evidently thought Worley, Dobbs, and Peterson were all pretty close to one another at one point; they all got chances to start until Dobbs finally took the reins.

Given how both of those guys went places and put up huge numbers on teams that were relatively decent, it's obvious now they both could play. I guess my overall point is that none of them got any coaching, and the one who ended up having success (Dobbs) had that success primarily because of his improvised scrambles, which can't really be coached.

I included them because there was absolutely no indication either was any good when they were at Tennessee. Ferguson was always buried last on the depth chart and Peterman, when he did get chances, was awful. Given that Dobbs didn't even nail down the starting job until the second half of 2014, Butch and the staff evidently thought Worley, Dobbs, and Peterson were all pretty close to one another at one point; they all got chances to start until Dobbs finally took the reins.

Given how both of those guys went places and put up huge numbers on teams that were relatively decent, it's obvious now they both could play. I guess my overall point is that none of them got any coaching, and the one who ended up having success (Dobbs) had that success primarily because of his improvised scrambles, which can't really be coached.
Ferguson’s not in the league and Peterman owns all the wrong records. Scrambling schmambling...Dobbs was and is better. They “could play”...just not better than Dobbs.

Reactions: LittleVol
Ferguson’s not in the league and Peterman owns all the wrong records. Scrambling schmambling...Dobbs was and is better. They “could play”...just not better than Dobbs.
Who cares about the NFL? Like I was saying, the indication when they were at Tennessee was that they both stunk.

Who cares about the NFL? Like I was saying, the indication when they were at Tennessee was that they both stunk.
Didn’t matter if they were great...Dobbs was better. Felt the NFL’s relevant in comparing their top end talent

Josh Malone was rumored to have picked UT because of Riley’s passing film.

Its funny how Butch recruited guys now balling in the NFL, but when they are here - they are referred to as Butch's recruits and their "soft". The NFL seems to have figured out how to get the most of Butch's recruits, maybe our coaches need to go visit with the NFL coaches at their OTAs and mandatory mini camps to pick their brain. It used to be a common practice to go visit with NFL coaches and their practices. Not sure if college coaches still do that or not.
It could be that the MFL believes in Strength and Conditioning programs. They can no longer sign in and walk out He recruited some very good skilled players who played. He did not do so well recruiting linemen and linebackers.

Its funny how Butch recruited guys now balling in the NFL, but when they are here - they are referred to as Butch's recruits and their "soft". The NFL seems to have figured out how to get the most of Butch's recruits, maybe our coaches need to go visit with the NFL coaches at their OTAs and mandatory mini camps to pick their brain. It used to be a common practice to go visit with NFL coaches and their practices. Not sure if college coaches still do that or not.
Completely whiffed. Try again.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

So exactly how many of these Butch guys are balling? Kamara doesnt count. He was originally a Bama guy and would have been a stud if used properly. So who else?

So exactly how many of these Butch guys are balling? Kamara doesnt count. He was originally a Bama guy and would have been a stud if used properly. So who else?

Google is your friend. Go figure it out for yourself. I never said there were many or that they are pro bowlers. (Hint: there are more than just Kamara). Unfortunately you missed the point of my comment about getting the most out of players.

Other college coaches have figured it out too (Riley Ferguson, Peterman, Hurd, Preston Williams, etc.).

Going into the 2017 draft, there was chatter from NFL scouts about if there was "something wrong" with Alvin Kamara given that he wasn't a starter until Hurd quit despite good production. Did he have an injury, did he have a poor work ethic, was he a locker room cancer in college, etc. I remember reading those articles and thinking "No, Butch is just an idiot."

Hurd as the ground and pound RB and Kamara as a all-purpose back was an outstanding tandem. Hurd would have been the all-time leading rusher at UT by a wide margin had he remained at UT and played RB. It worked out really well for Kamara. He didn't get beat up or injured by carrying the ball as the #1 back and really highlighted his receiving skills, which peaked Sean Peyton's interest in him. He was used a lot like Peyton uses him. I thought DeBord did an outstanding job getting the most from our backfield with those guys, particularly since our OL was average at best.

Hurd as the ground and pound RB and Kamara as a all-purpose back was an outstanding tandem. Hurd would have been the all-time leading rusher at UT by a wide margin had he remained at UT and played RB. It worked out really well for Kamara. He didn't get beat up or injured by carrying the ball as the #1 back and really highlighted his receiving skills, which peaked Sean Peyton's interest in him. He was used a lot like Peyton uses him. I thought DeBord did an outstanding job getting the most from our backfield with those guys, particularly since our OL was average at best.
Despite Hurd becoming the all-time leading rusher if he finished out that season, he was a highly inefficient rusher. His YPC pales in comparison to some other guys. He was kind of under the radar having a terrible season in 2016 before he quit. His yardage totals were the football equivalent of that big time scorer in basketball who jacks a ton of threes and makes 20% of them.

As for Kamara, it did work out for him because he avoided the wear and tear in college. However, Butch not making more use of him while he was at Tennessee was coaching malpractice and probably the single dumbest coaching decision he made while here. Dobbs + Kamara was a dynamite tandem for the read option offense Butch ran. Even if he was beholden to Hurd and wanted to play him, there's no excuse for Kamara to have not been on the field more, either in two-back sets or lining Kamara up as a slot receiver. That guy has elite quickness and balance and simply was not on the field enough.

Google is your friend. Go figure it out for yourself. I never said there were many or that they are pro bowlers. (Hint: there are more than just Kamara). Unfortunately you missed the point of my comment about getting the most out of players.
Let's not criticize someone for not getting a post just yet.

I was there the day butch offered Moseley. Dude put down a super fast 40 and walla. Wasn't anything but a boney 2 star.....with speed!

Like it or not, you gotta give Jones the credit for that one. Moseley weighed high 140s when we offered iirc.

Reactions: lexkyvol

VN Store

Back