Elephant in the CFP Committee Room

Not anything close to what I said. Certain sports like basketball have always been tournament sports. College football was more unique because it was for the regular season. Was just something that I appreciated about it. The SEC championship was just a good example of why it doesn’t matter as much anymore. Bama was getting in no matter what. Why is it all that exciting when you can win the title without even winning your conference, or your division in the conference like last year.

What you said:

"Why is it a true champion? Just because you get hot and do well in the playoffs, doesn’t mean you were the best team that year."

So let's take basketball, since you referenced that. College BB teams play a, what...31 game schedule? Why do you need a playoff, then? After 31 games, shouldn't it be fairly easy to pick the "champion"? Or is it just because it was "always a tournament sport"?

Yes, college football is unique. Specifically FBS football. Because it is the only college team sport I am aware of, at any level, in which there is no bracketed "win it on the field" system for determining the national champion. Pick a sport, and pick a level, and you'll find one example after another of a team that didn't win their conference, but went on to win a national title. Why? Because it's all about positioning yourself to be in the mix when it comes down to figuring out who the biggest gorilla in the ring is.

I guess it's just a difference of opinion. On a competitive level, I want to know where I stack up against the rest of the field. Poker, golf, whatever.

Sorry if I came off as a smartass, and I did. Gotta learn to take a deep breath and think before I hit that "Post Reply" button.

Go Vols.

Reactions: thehill98
ND is in a strange spot this year. They absolutely have the resume to be in. It isn't like they didn't play anybody. Yes, they should be in a conference, but they are going to remain independent as long as the economics of it allow them to do so. It is annoying and comes off as holier than thou, but any other school in the same situation would do the same thing.

However, everyone seems to know, even some of their own fans, that they are going to get destroyed. Clemson should be able to boat race them - they have so much more speed and athleticism than Notre Dame.

Now Notre Dame will somehow miraculously win the the championship

I agree that it needs to expand to 8. Take the 5 power conference winners and 3 at larges based on ranking. You will comfortably get the best teams in the country and no one would be left out that shouldn't be.

Would you feel comfortable with that if Pitt, Texas, and Northwestern all managed to win Saturday making it:

Pitt
Texas
Northwestern
Alabama
Washington
Notre Dame
and, I assume, Clemson and Georgia (or possibly UCF)?

Looks like a mess to me. The last 2 in would likely be seeded 3 & 4. Agree with expanding to 8 but not conference winners automatically in as it incorrectly assumes parity between conference divisions. 8 at larges where the majority will still likely be conference champions.

Notre Dame is not one of the four best teams in the country, and no one has the balls to say it.

They are included for the same reasons UCF is excluded...and neither team is worthy in my opinion.

Notre Dame struggled with Vandy and Pitt, and I think Clemson beats them by at least 20.
That's the point though. Who you gonna put in besides ND? Not Georgia, not OSU, not UCF.

What you said:

"Why is it a true champion? Just because you get hot and do well in the playoffs, doesn’t mean you were the best team that year."

So let's take basketball, since you referenced that. College BB teams play a, what...31 game schedule? Why do you need a playoff, then? After 31 games, shouldn't it be fairly easy to pick the "champion"? Or is it just because it was "always a tournament sport"?

Yes, college football is unique. Specifically FBS football. Because it is the only college team sport I am aware of, at any level, in which there is no bracketed "win it on the field" system for determining the national champion. Pick a sport, and pick a level, and you'll find one example after another of a team that didn't win their conference, but went on to win a national title. Why? Because it's all about positioning yourself to be in the mix when it comes down to figuring out who the biggest gorilla in the ring is.

I guess it's just a difference of opinion. On a competitive level, I want to know where I stack up against the rest of the field. Poker, golf, whatever.

Sorry if I came off as a smartass, and I did. Gotta learn to take a deep breath and think before I hit that "Post Reply" button.

Go Vols.
No problem, and I do realize that winning on the field should be important. And I by no means think the old way was perfect. I just don’t want it to become like the nfl where you can rest starters and take games off because you’re already in. I think as the field continues to expand, that may be the case someday.
I always enjoyed the fact that you have to try your hardest to win every single game, if you faltered even once, your shot was gone.
I don’t think there’s a perfect solution, but if it eventually becomes a much more expanded field, then I don’t know that the regular season will be as great as it once was.
And that’s the difference. I think most will agree, that college has had the greatest regular seasons, while many other sports have somewhat lessened the regular season in favor of post season. I know many people who are fans of sports, but don’t pay much attention till it’s time for the playoffs. I’m guilty of that myself with basketball, baseball, etc.

Reactions: GreyWolf1129
ND is in a strange spot this year. They absolutely have the resume to be in. It isn't like they didn't play anybody. Yes, they should be in a conference, but they are going to remain independent as long as the economics of it allow them to do so. It is annoying and comes off as holier than thou, but any other school in the same situation would do the same thing.

However, everyone seems to know, even some of their own fans, that they are going to get destroyed. Clemson should be able to boat race them - they have so much more speed and athleticism than Notre Dame.

Their best win was Syracuse! ND was not even close to having a quality resume.

I hate sticking up for Notre Dame and I totally believe they get the benefit of the doubt way too often and their elitist “we won’t join a conference” attitude sucks, but all they can do is play who is the schedule and win. If you did a blind test and said

Team A had wins over B1G teams Michigan and northwestern. Beat ACC opponents Thumped syrascuse and Virginia Tech on the road in prime time, beat Pitt, big over FSU, Beat USC and Stanford, plus Navy is never easy.

By name brand that’s very good, but Michigan fell apart and got blown out late, FSU was terrible, USC and Stanford didn’t do them any favors by sucking, same with VPI. So Basically they beat the Acc coastal champ by beating Pitt and would most likely won that division and they also beat the B1G West division champ in Northwestern. Most years very few teams could play those teams and go undefeated.
Outside of not having a conference title game I think an undefeated Notre Dame team should be in the CFP. Not their fault big time programs sucked this year. They would won the B1G West and the ACC Costal, then got smacked by either OSU or Clemson.

The B1G needs to add them and then do some rearranging to not make the East so top heavy. Kick out Rutgers. Notre Dame will delmolish the the NY tv ratings more so than Rutgers

West :
Notre Dame
Wisconsin
Nebraska
PennState
Northwestern
Iowa
Minnesota

East:
Ohio State
Michigan state
Michigan
Indiana
Maryland
Illinois
Purdue

Last edited:
Reactions: P.O.T.S. VOL
Their best win was against Michigan.

Notre Dame plays a quasi-Big Ten/ACC schedule every year, and they also play USC and Stanford every year. Those are good programs. Just because they are an Independent doesn't mean they are playing a UCF-type schedule and demanding a spot in the CFP.

Their strength of schedule would not change materially if they joined the ACC full-time or joined the Big Ten. If they go undefeated, they deserve to be in. Having said that, I'm not surprised Clemson stomped them. Any team in the playoff would have stomped them. They just don't have the athletes and the speed the other playoff teams did, or Georgia did.

Notre Dame plays a quasi-Big Ten/ACC schedule every year, and they also play USC and Stanford every year. Those are good programs. Just because they are an Independent doesn't mean they are playing a UCF-type schedule and demanding a spot in the CFP.

Their strength of schedule would not change materially if they joined the ACC full-time or joined the Big Ten. If they go undefeated, they deserve to be in. Having said that, I'm not surprised Clemson stomped them. Any team in the playoff would have stomped them. They just don't have the athletes and the speed the other playoff teams did, or Georgia did.

No, they dont! Of their "tough" games, how many do they play back to back? Also, they have the luxury of not having to play a conference championship game. They need to join a power 5 conference or not be considered.

Reactions: P.O.T.S. VOL
No. Many said Alabama would steam roll UGA. Just like they are saying about OU.
Old comment, but Tua was hurt in the first drive against UGA. I don't think it would've been as tight had he been at 95% for the rest of the game. He isn't as mobile as Hurts, but he is a good runner. He couldn't exploit that vs UGA because of his bum ankle.

Old comment, but Tua was hurt in the first drive against UGA. I don't think it would've been as tight had he been at 95% for the rest of the game. He isn't as mobile as Hurts, but he is a good runner. He couldn't exploit that vs UGA because of his bum ankle.
Nm

Crap....they shouldn't at the very least play a CCG....play the best in your league...prove you belong like everyone else does.

Just wait. UCF is about to get boat raced against LSU. No more undefeated talk after New Years...I can’t wait to watch that beat down...

They didnt steam roll OU

VN Store

Back