Ekeler on coaches being labeled as "great recruiters"

VolForLife83

PEOPLE TALK ABOUT HIRING GREAT RECRUITERS; I THINK THAT’S AN ABSOLUTE JOKE. IF YOU’RE LABELED THAT, 99 PERCENT OF THE TIME THAT MEANS YOU CAN’T COACH A LICK. THAT’S A FACT. THERE ARE VERY FEW EXCEPTIONS. ED ORGERON IS A FANTASTIC RECRUITER AND HE’S PROBABLY THE BEST DEFENSIVE LINE COACH OF THEM ALL. THE GUY IS BIG-TIME. IT’S GREAT TO RECRUIT 5-STARS, BUT THEN THEY COME IN AND PLAY LIKE 2-STARS. IT’S TOO BAD THAT’S HOW THIS PROFESSION IS, BUT THAT’S PART OF THE DEAL NOW.

20210303_222106.jpg

Seems like a blast...how about just hiring some good ol Billy Bob that can coach. Sick of these hyper motivational weirdos.

Reactions: igotworms
Actual video of one of our previous recruiters talking to a potential recruit ;)

giphy.gif

I don't know anything about him as a coach, but getting a tattoo of an 18 year old's name is not my idea of a great coach.
I hope he is great, but this story is not what I'm looking for.

I don’t see the big deal.

It was just a silly bet.

Nice to hear but meh. No more over the top hype for guys coming in. They have to earn it. We've been fed so much BS like this I'm sick of getting punched in the gut. No such thing as a home run or sure thing hire anymore in my eyes. I'm supportive but I'm done with lip service, you gotta show me!

Nice to hear but meh. No more over the top hype for guys coming in. They have to earn it. We've been fed so much BS like this I'm sick of getting punched in the gut. No such thing as a home run or sure thing hire anymore in my eyes. I'm supportive but I'm done with lip service, you gotta show me!
Dude gonna meet you over the middle

Attachments

• 3C580CFB-E34B-45F0-B042-78CBA0AD4C0C.jpeg
    3C580CFB-E34B-45F0-B042-78CBA0AD4C0C.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: PNW Huskie
I don't know anything about him as a coach, but getting a tattoo of an 18 year old's name is not my idea of a great coach.
I hope he is great, but this story is not what I'm looking for.
FTR It was a Henna tattoo

Just recruit, build relationships and coach up the players you have, winning solves the recruiting.

Reactions: sjt18
You need talent, coaching, and development. I think... and hope... that he was not minimizing the importance of talent.

That said, in every recruiting year it would be possible to find enough players rated under 4* to build a 5* roster. We know that because of how many 3* and below guys who develop into draft worthy players. "Possible"... no one has found a way to do it consistently. You would have to do it every year.

OTOH, he isn't wrong. If you can find the kids with the highest ceiling without consideration for what they are when you sign them... you can build a great roster. If he can do that... make sure we pay him.

Glad to see we may have a coach who wont need Geritol to get moving in the morning. Ive seen more energy in turtles than I saw in guys that Pruitt had on his staff......absolutely zero excitement.... how do you motivate players when you're a dead ass?

He's lowering your expectations right off the bat

Really?

I would say that he is raising expectations. He is saying that all that matters is the results on the field, and I agree absolutely.

If Tennessee finishes 50th in recruitment rankings and still wins games, that's all that matters. Of course, that is not likely to happen, but if they finish in the top 5 and still lose, I'll find no comfort in having won the recruitment battle.

VN Store

Back