EJ Anosike is a Vol

Way too much talk about RS anyone. I can’t come up with any name that RS in the middle of their career and became a solid player that wasn’t a transfer.

OLN, Gaines and pember are transfer candidates down the line and having that RS year in their pocket is important at this point and time.
I see no point in redshirting unless you’re confident they will develop. I’ve seen this in football several times. Basketball? I don’t recall but there is no question Pember and Gaines would have redshirted if Grant and Bone had returned.

Reactions: Vols All Day
So if that gets passed as expected in the coming months then it makes it much more plausible for this upcoming year

Sure if you ignore many coaches don’t want to use the RS on guys they see are “Mistakes”. Many see that prolonging their exit. If you RS a kid that means the quickest they might decide to move on is two years

Sure if you ignore many coaches don’t want to use the RS on guys they see are “Mistakes”. Many see that prolonging their exit. If you RS a kid that means the quickest they might decide to move on is two years
If they don’t have to sit who’s to say they don’t transfer after a redshirt?

If they don’t have to sit who’s to say they don’t transfer after a redshirt?

Very few would Leave after being told they were going to RS and sitting out. They would see it as year to develop and be ready to play a bigger role the next year.

Now if they play a few minutes here and there they eventually see the writing on the wall.

I’d make a solid wager that one of those 3 transfers after next year if they don’t RS.

Pons just isn’t good at the 3
Hopefully he works on his ball handling a bit, so he's not a liability in that department. His defensive versatility would be my primary reason for putting him there. I think he could develop into a nice three and D type of player. It's looking like there will be enough quality depth to be flexible with lineups.

Reactions: jmva1

You seem to prefer the revolving door method, every year run off 1-2 guys who to that point haven’t developed, or maybe were a “mistake”. Personally I am good with a couple guys at the back end of the roster who want to be here, know they system, are great teammates and help keep that culture. In basketball you’re rarely playing more than 10, so naturally that leaves 3 guys who aren’t getting many/if any minutes at all.

Reactions: esands88
Very few would Leave after being told they were going to RS and sitting out. They would see it as year to develop and be ready to play a bigger role the next year.

Now if they play a few minutes here and there they eventually see the writing on the wall.

I’d make a solid wager that one of those 3 transfers after next year if they don’t RS.

Well Plavsic did.

And yea that is very likely, attrition is very common in college basketball.

Well Plavsic did.

And yea that is very likely, attrition is very common in college basketball.

Well we know uros left because of the coach leaving

And yes I think once a player shows they aren’t ever going to be better than the last 3 you posted about they should move on

Well we know uros left because of the coach leaving

And yes I think once a player shows they aren’t ever going to be better than the last 3 you posted about they should move on

Just two different schools of thought....there are a lot of examples of guys being towards the end of the bench, transferring elsewhere and then being big tome contributors. Again I’m not saying there shouldn’t be any transfers, but you are essentially making it sound like Barnes should be cutting off the bottom 2-3 players each year, plus losing his seniors, that’s a lot of attrition.

Fulky and Pons were both guys towards the back end of the bench the previous 2 seasons, glad the staff didn’t opt to cut them.

Neither one of them was at the end of bench. Kent had that spot on a permanent reservation

For the record I’m not suggesting multiple guys a year. Just getting rid of guys that have zero chance to ever be in the rotation. Kent is the only that we know of now under Barnes. I think Pember will be see in that same regard but it’s to early for that I assume.

Even I think uros has to stay for the duration. Cant ask him to move again

Reactions: Vols All Day
Neither one of them was at the end of bench. Kent had that spot on a permanent reservation

For the record I’m not suggesting multiple guys a year. Just getting rid of guys that have zero chance to ever be in the rotation. Kent is the only that we know of now under Barnes. I think Pember will be see in that same regard but it’s to early for that I assume.

Even I think uros has to stay for the duration. Cant ask him to move again

Freshman:
Fulk 9.3mpg 1.7ppg 1.6rpg
Pons 5.2mpg 0.7ppg 0.6rpg

ORN 11.4mpg 3.3ppg 3.0rpg
Gaines 10.4ppg 2.5ppg 1.9rpg
Pember 5.5mpg 1.3ppg 1.0rpg

Reactions: esands88
Freshman:
Fulk 9.3mpg 1.7ppg 1.6rpg
Pons 5.2mpg 0.7ppg 0.6rpg

ORN 11.4mpg 3.3ppg 3.0rpg
Gaines 10.4ppg 2.5ppg 1.9rpg
Pember 5.5mpg 1.3ppg 1.0rpg

Got Kent’s minutes ?

Remember he’s the only one I think should have exited sooner.

As for pember those 5 minutes were extremely different than pons. The rosters of those two teams were just a tad different. Apples to oranges

Got Kent’s minutes ?

Remember he’s the only one I think should have exited sooner.

As for pember those 5 minutes were extremely different than pons. The rosters of those two teams were just a tad different. Apples to oranges

Are you not one of the ones that has been saying ORN should be shown the door or that he’s likely a non-contributor? Maybe not, hard to keep track of who’s who, but those numbers give some reason to not always rush to judgment.

Are you not one of the ones that has been saying ORN should be shown the door or that he’s likely a non-contributor? Maybe not, hard to keep track of who’s who, but those numbers give some reason to not always rush to judgment.

No I like Olivier and Gaines. I’m out on pember

No I like Olivier and Gaines. I’m out on pember

Gotcha. I don’t really blame you for a lack of better words, but I would like to give him more time. I have no problem with a local kid who will bust his ass and help continue our winning family culture taking up the 13th spot.

Reactions: twoffo
Pember looks taller than Kent in that picture
We picking nits, but here is a flat line starting from Kent's shoulder.
No question, Pember has a longer neck. unfortunately, neck length doesn't translate into wing span. But, more importantly is Pember's style of play. He's a tall wing. He hasn't shown he can deal with contact. That's why a much shorter Ponz and even ORN are much better options. Ponz has a freakishly long wing span. Pember is very frail looking and doesn't look comfortable in the post. He should redshirt and see how his game develops. He could be a good player but it won't be in a role like Fulk.
97EBEB5B-8A06-486F-A38C-701390B1E55E.jpeg

Reactions: BruisedOrange
I am not sure you know what you have with any of the 3, until they put some good weight on. At this point, I have less hope for ORN, but I wouldn't be shocked if any of them end up being really good players. I think Gaines has a lot of work to do to be a consistently good offensive player, but his ceiling is the highest.

Love this kid's game. High motor, nice range and super physical. Fits our culture perfectly.

I hope he isn't limited by SEC refs quick whistles and tendency to pick on certain players with ticky-tack fouls. The refs were letting them bang in his highlight video.
Per an article I read on him, Anosike didn‘t get into much foul trouble and that was while averaging 33 minutes per game. So he must be smart defensively.

Reactions: i2amavol
Staff wants to keep Pons at the 4, he is by far more effective at that spot...

Vescovi/Bailey
Springer/Johnson
James/Johnson/Gaines
Pons/Anosike
Fulky/Anosike

Leaves Uros, ORN, Pember and Walker...I think you redshirt Pember, obviously Uros can’t, so then it’s Walker or ORN. An idea not many have mentioned would be could Walker get a redshirt? If you feel better about his future than ORN maybe that’s something discussed.
Good list. Believe this group of 9 will get majority of minutes. We had to play small all year this year and got pushed around at times. More bodies so we can run more even if we play a bigger lineup with Fulkerson, Anosike and Pons in the frontcourt together for spot minutes.

Gotcha. I don’t really blame you for a lack of better words, but I would like to give him more time. I have no problem with a local kid who will bust his ass and help continue our winning family culture taking up the 13th spot.

Unless there is more than we know yea he deserves more time.

I think my benchmark is if a kid isn’t ready to be in the rotation by year 3 then they need to move on.

Well, that's a tough thing to know about a young man. ...aren’t EVER going to be better than?

Especially in the off season, we fans tend to think like general managers: quantify production, then improve net gain by upgrading personnel.

Coaches think like... coaches. Sure, they're accountable for the program's success and have to wear the GM hat at times.
But they chose their profession because they get personal satisfaction from seeing an individual's potential realized. The best ones are going to try everything they can think of to get that "underperforming" player doing all he's capable of. (including occasionally helping a player find a different program, in which he can thrive)

If you do find a college coach who thinks more like a general manager and less like a coach... expect there to be a money trail following him.

Reactions: twoffo
Well, that's a tough thing to know about a young man. ...aren’t EVER going to be better than?

Especially in the off season, we fans tend to think like general managers: quantify production, then improve net gain by upgrading personnel.

Coaches think like... coaches. Sure, they're accountable for the program's success and have to wear the GM hat at times.
But they chose their profession because they get personal satisfaction from seeing an individual's potential realized. The best ones are going to try everything they can think of to get that "underperforming" player doing all he's capable of. (including occasionally helping a player find a different program, in which he can thrive)

If you do find a college coach who thinks more like a general manager and less like a coach... expect there to be a money trail following him.

I have said many times I respect the hell out of Barnes for not being a coach that “fires” his players BUT there is a trade off for that. That trade off is a year like we just had where injuries and other attrition cost us.

I just think Barnes needs to play GM and fire a few guys every now and then BUT I respect the man of character he is for not doing it. Jmo

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

VN Store

Back