Eat crow on this staff recruiting success

If the “doubters” are now using this……..isn’t that also “moving the goalposts”?

I’m not saying “you”….I don’t know. However this was an “eat crow” thread because so far Tennessee has done well and really exceeded expectations.

Those who were complaining about lack of recruiting should probably “eat some crow.”………..it’s never “well this guy said…..or that person”………..eating crow means one owns up to “their” own opinion being wrong.

The Volnation eating their own mentality and one upsmanship is stupid. Period.

That list is flat out depressing.

Can't recall any of those guys contributing anything of substance to the program other than warm being bodies.

There's a difference between recruiting and developing. Even most 5* players still need to be developed to make a successful leap from high school to college. Obviously Jones couldn't develop a roll of film.

You can't make baked ham out of pig sh1t. The product on the field begins with recruiting and signing the right kind of players. The best running back in the country isn't going to gain you one yard if he's in jail. Size. Speed. Athleticism. Guts. Brains. Ethics. All those things matter and it takes a team of experienced coaches/recruiters to identify and reel in the kind of players that check off all the boxes.
What I'm seeing from Heupel's staff makes me smile.

Ok… obviously we need to recruit well. I just don’t get hung up on ratings and class rankings. Seen too many amount to bothering g at TN. Throw in the transfer portal and a highly ranked class could be completely different a year after it’s signed.

Sure a top 5 class is great but really you need to string 3-4 those together. The 6-15 class are about 1-2 players difference.

I just have to trust the coaches we have to recruit players they need and develop them. If they do that the wins will come. If they don’t we will be looking for another coach in a couple of years.

Reactions: FïreBall
The Volnation eating their own mentality and one upsmanship is stupid. Period.

I agree……..however (and I’m sure unexpectedly) your post I commented on was perpetrating that.

It goes each way.

I used to be a hard NegaVol………and I felt I had good reason to be. Things were bad and I wanted change………then I (as a fan) got change. I had gotten exactly what I wanted…..therefore there was no “reason” for me to continue to be a “NegaVol” at the present.

With this particular thread we can simply ignore it, one can say “hey I was wrong….glad I was”, or one might could continue to perpetuate “the eating of our own.”………I was merely making the comment it seemed you were doing the later.

Sure we don’t “need” these threads…..but it’s here. We can ignore or try to be positive or again perpetuate.

Its not as bad as I expected but make no mistake, its going to have to get much better if we want to be serious about competing for division and conference championships. Starting next season we really need to be minimum top 5 in the SEC to have enough talent to compete.

One step at a time.

Depends what you mean by "jury is still out". On Heupel as a recruiter? Or Heupel as HC?

As HC...of course the jury is still out. It's only been one season and we won't sneak up on anyone next year. But this season was very encouraging.

As a recruiter....its his first "real" class and there are another 6-7 weeks to go. It's not over, but I was much more negative on Heupel's recruiting but the surge over the last two weeks is still very encouraging.

No one is saying the jury isn't still out, but as of today, this season and this recruiting class have exceeded my expectations.
The author of the thread:
"Join me if you made similar posts about the jury being out on whether this staff could recruit at TN."

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
I agree……..however (and I’m sure unexpectedly) your post I commented on was perpetrating that.

It goes each way.

I used to be a hard NegaVol………and I felt I had good reason to be. Things were bad and I wanted change………then I (as a fan) got change. I had gotten exactly what I wanted…..therefore there was no “reason” for me to continue to be a “NegaVol” at the present.

With this particular thread we can simply ignore it, one can say “hey I was wrong….glad I was”, or one might could continue to perpetuate “the eating of our own.”………I was merely making the comment it seemed you were doing the later.

Sure we don’t “need” these threads…..but it’s here. We can ignore or try to be positive or again perpetuate.

I ignore stupidity the majority of the time, Lord knows there's more than enough to go around. In my fallen nature, sometimes I take sanctimony and smear it the collective faces of those practicing it.

Mostly , I just roll my eyes and move on. But, I ain't perfect, and I was even wrong once.

I thought I was in error, but as it turns out, I was mistaken. :)

Reactions: JoAllan
I was a little concerned that we weren’t having traction with enough top recruits. Even though I acknowledged the NCAA cloud hurt, I saw a cause for concern. With this close the past few weeks I’m here to eat crow. Join me if you made similar posts about the jury being out on whether this staff could recruit at TN.

Top 10 according to Rivals as of today. Impressive given all the hurdles they faced this year.

Any other crow takers?

Naw, we fresh out of crow, but have some buzzard ready for you. 😄

I ignore stupidity the majority of the time, Lord knows there's more than enough to go around. In my fallen nature, sometimes I take sanctimony and smear it the collective faces of those practicing it.

Mostly , I just roll my eyes and move on. But, I ain't perfect, and I was even wrong once.

I thought I was in error, but as it turns out, I was mistaken. :)

It certainly happens…….I just thought it was “odd” two of you stating what you guys were, how you were, about what you were.

It’s no big deal….heck we got another entire thread of “eat crow” again……..just kind of hard to complain about it by “doing” it.

The dark cloud that has hung over this University for the past 12 years is gone . It was a festering ether (Phillip Fulmer) seeping into every crevice and filling every room.
People will finally wake up and realize that the ether is gone. Now look at the direction we’re going. I don’t ever want to see that SOB ever again.

Reactions: onevol74
I was anxious but hopeful with this recruiting season. Considering where we are as of today, I am as not as impressed with the ratings of the teams or players as I am the balance of this class with good quality athletes. I have seen so many highly rated classes that failed to fill the needs of the program.That is not the case with the way this staff recruits. When I see how balanced the list is and the quality of the kids, I am super impressed.

People went crazy with the class that Kiffin brought in in 2009 and the star ratings of Butch's classes, but those classes did not fill the needs of the program.

We still can sign up to 32 and have plenty of opportunity to upgrade through the portal. Face it. These guys know what they are doing and I can not wait for September. This is like boiling someone in a pot of water. This pot is getting warmer and warmer and you may not know it is about to explode until it is too late.

I was a little concerned that we weren’t having traction with enough top recruits. Even though I acknowledged the NCAA cloud hurt, I saw a cause for concern. With this close the past few weeks I’m here to eat crow. Join me if you made similar posts about the jury being out on whether this staff could recruit at TN.

Top 10 according to Rivals as of today. Impressive given all the hurdles they faced this year.

Any other crow takers?
How is it eating crow to say well he looks good on game day. Now can he recruit? Next thing I’ll say is can he build on year one? Then I’ll say can he recruit two years in a row? Then I’ll say can he do well in year 3? I’ve done this with every coach. So I guess I eat crow for some reason just by asking a question. Good thread.

Last edited:

Any other crow takers?
I’ve already had some humble pie as well

Its not as bad as I expected but make no mistake, its going to have to get much better if we want to be serious about competing for division and conference championships. Starting next season we really need to be minimum top 5 in the SEC to have enough talent to compete.
Considering what happened with Pitt, Ole Miss, Bama this year, I don't think we have too far to go. Yes, we lost but not like in years past. We were in those games and needed more depth at various positions. Coming in with fire in our belly and some swagger, we could take down quite a few of our rivals in 2022. Too many downplay KY strengths. We could have easily been beaten. We showed them we had a team.

How in the Hell is Kentucky over us???
Pretty much the same star rating.

Heck if you take step back it’s the three schools with entrenched, arguably elite coaches at the top of the conference in A&M, Bama, Georgia, then a significant drop off to Kentucky and Tennessee then a drop off to everyone else. That’s not bad at all considering where this program has been.

VN Store

Back