East Tennessee Weather II

Not good in Campbell County going up I-75

My aunt went to Cincinnati and returned this morning just before that struck. I warned her to make it quick, leave very early, and she made it. Another member of her party left an hour behind her and is still sitting at the TN/KY line because Jellico mountain is a disaster.

They have called in the national guard, so if you are stuck and can read this... they are on their way, but having a difficult time of it.

I haven't seen or heard anything, but I have a suspicion much of the Raleigh to Charlette area has gone dark because of ice accumulation. That looked terrible on radar. Night time temps are not going to help the situation, and they will get a small amout of snow on the back side of the storm. If it snows on top of ice I would be especially concerned. Many folks in that area don't understand what snow on top of ice is like. Stay put if you can. Do not leave the house tonight. Let emergency workers do their jobs.

Reactions: MetVol and volwindy
Who's in the Charlotte area? Did you get as much ice as it looked to be? You should be coming out of the worst of it.
I am in Charlotte. We got snow first. Then it changed over to sleet and freezing rain, but I'd say mostly sleet since it had not been tough to walk on with the pup. It's back to snow now.

For snow lovers, good news is that this pattern is going to favor some more snow chances over the next couple weeks at least. Was talking to a friend who deals much more closely with teleconnections forecasting, and he says it's lining up for colder than normal and above normal precip chances through late January/early February at least.

GFS is on board with that. Right now, it keeps showing a consistent southern storm track with cold air across our region. We'll see how it shakes out as we get closer.

floop-gfs-2022011618.prateptype_cat.us_ov.gif

For snow lovers, good news is that this pattern is going to favor some more snow chances over the next couple weeks at least. Was talking to a friend who deals much more closely with teleconnections forecasting, and he says it's lining up for colder than normal and above normal precip chances through late January/early February at least.

GFS is on board with that. Right now, it keeps showing a consistent southern storm track with cold air across our region. We'll see how it shakes out as we get closer.

View attachment 428810
So what’s the timing on those 2 events? The first one moving down from the Northwest doesn’t look like it’ll drop a ton of snow but that second storm coming from the Southwest looks pretty potent.

So what’s the timing on those 2 events? The first one moving down from the Northwest doesn’t look like it’ll drop a ton of snow but that second storm coming from the Southwest looks pretty potent.
One mid-week isn't as impressive, mainly just a cold front (but a surface low may develop along it to drop some cold side snow in some areas), and the weekend is the other system. Lot of questions with the track, so we'll see. Storm track should favor several chances for winter weather the next couple weeks.

The worst stormS for this area always move south to north, not west to east. The storm coming has potential for the valley.

VN Store

Back