East Tennessee Weather II

Nicholas is absolutely pounding texas tonight. You people think these storms are a joke, or a test of bravery. a youtube video. They are not, and you are completely stupid for testing mother nature.

~Severe Weather Bulletin~

There is a marginal risk for strong to severe thunderstorms for all of East TN today.

Timing:
Late Afternoon into the Early Evening hours.

Primary hazards:
Damaging winds in excess of 60 mph are possible. An isolated tornado can't be ruled out, particularly for areas south of Interstate 40.

Reactions: Matt2496
Looking ahead to the long range forecast looks like those of us on the plateau and the smokies will see our first frost the 1st week of November.

A little later than normal if I recall I think the average is usually around the 18th of October.

Alert!!!!

The National Weather Service in Morristown has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
Loudon County in east Tennessee...
Southeastern Roane County in east Tennessee...

* Until 700 PM EDT.

* At 611 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located over Loudon,
moving northeast at 35 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Expect damage to roofs, siding, and trees.

* Locations impacted include...
Lenoir City, Loudon, Philadelphia, Paint Rock and Tellico Village.

This includes Interstate 75 in Tennessee between mile markers 67 and

Way too far out, but the GFS model in the last couple of days has hinted at East TN seeing snow in the next couple of weeks.

Not East Tennessee Weather, but thought it was interesting considering this part of the world rarely/if ever experiences tornadoes.

Reactions: Vol knight
The GFS has shown a potential system around Dec 5 for the last couple of days. However, each model run has been inconsistent. Some showing, some not.

The GFS has shown a potential system around Dec 5 for the last couple of days. However, each model run has been inconsistent. Some showing, some not.
I very badly want my kids to experience one of those massive snows just once, like 8+ inches. Knoxville is definitely due for one but it likely won’t happen this winter season given we’re in a La Niña year.

I very badly want my kids to experience one of those massive snows just once, like 8+ inches. Knoxville is definitely due for one but it likely won’t happen this winter season given we’re in a La Niña year.
Seems like every year either La Niña or El Niño is used as excuse for a mild winter. I don’t put much stock in either one. If you look at the history of East Tn over the past 150 years, we get either a blizzard or very significant snowfall every 30-40 years. When we had the blizzard of 1993, it was March, warm and rainy all day before it switched to snow. Anything is possible.

Seems like every year either La Niña or El Niño is used as excuse for a mild winter. I don’t put much stock in either one. If you look at the history of East Tn over the past 150 years, we get either a blizzard or very significant snowfall every 30-40 years. When we had the blizzard of 1993, it was March, warm and rainy all day before it switched to snow. Anything is possible.

I was only a year old when the Blizzard of 93 happened. How was it received among East TN when the weather began reporting on it?

It is but we had a big snow in 1993 and another in 1996 (well, where I was in Oliver Springs got almost 18 inches in 1996 but I believe Knoxville got very little strangely) and I believe both of those were El Niño years. That’s a small sample size but I also believe the last one we saw in Knoxville that was 5+ inches was an El Niño year as well. This year the forecast is for warm temps and above average precipitation. That’s basically their way of saying there will be a lot of timing events that result in nothing. No surprise here but you’re right that anything is possible. I’m just guessing this year we won’t have one more than an inch or two.

I was only a year old when the Blizzard of 93 happened. How was it received among East TN when the weather began reporting on it?
It was known to be coming well ahead of time so everyone was pretty prepared. A foot+ of snow with ice underneath. It was quite a storm and shut everything down for a few days.

I was at a friend’s house, and the reports were initially for some snow. Then they said it was too warm for snow and that it would be a rain event. Then the evening the meteorologists were frantic and told everyone to stock up on food because despite how warm and rainy it was, that we were going to get hit with a blizzard. I remember thinking no way that was possible, and staid up late watching the transition from heavy rain to heavy, cold snow. In my area we easily had 2.5 feet of snow in about a 12 hour time frame, and definitely drifts up to 3 feet. I got snowed in for about a week before my parents insisted I walked home, and that was the longest mile walk of my life. What usually took me about 15 minutes was a few hours.

Reactions: headhunter15
I was at a friend’s house, and the reports were initially for some snow. Then they said it was too warm for snow and that it would be a rain event. Then the evening the meteorologists were frantic and told everyone to stock up on food because despite how warm and rainy it was, that we were going to get hit with a blizzard. I remember thinking no way that was possible, and staid up late watching the transition from heavy rain to heavy, cold snow. In my area we easily had 2.5 feet of snow in about a 12 hour time frame, and definitely drifts up to 3 feet. I got snowed in for about a week before my parents insisted I walked home, and that was the longest mile walk of my life. What usually took me about 15 minutes was a few hours.
I didn’t realize the forecast ever changed to just rain. I remember I stayed with my aunt and we knew I’d be there for a couple days at a minimum but I was only 14 and pretty new to East TN so once they said snow I just assumed it would happen without ever checking the predictions that night. What’s wild is in January ‘96 there was an even bigger snow event as there was about 18” in Oliver Springs but there was no ice underneath so it wasn’t as big of a deal. The forecast was 1-3 inches though and Knoxville actually didn’t get much.

VN Store

Back