East-mid Tennessee...where do I wanna live?

The tornado two years ago jacked up real estate here around cookeville. The alternative is to get just out of Putnam County and into Jackson County and bypass alot of expense. And get a little land with it and let someone grow hay on it so you can get farmland property tax rate. Our taxes on over 120 acres and 3 houses is only about $3000 because of the farm tax rate by allowing our neighbor to grow hay and corn and cows on our property. All in all it is still a great area in middle TN though.

My in laws have a cabin on the DeKalb/White County line on Center Hill, they’re about to sell their house and move there full time and do a bunch of renovating. Hopefully we’ll inherit it many years from now.

One thing about the weather. The further west you go in the state, the more oppressive the summers get. Somewhere in a Cookeville to Sparta to Crossville triangle might be nice (Semi-close to Nashville and Knoxville and a little bit of elevation to suprress the summer heat and humidity).
Also, everything to the west of the plateau seems to be at a more significant risk from the ever-increasing tornado threat. One great thing about about living just to the east of the plateau is that it seems to weaken a lot of the strongest storms before they get to us. That same principle seems to rob The Valley of a lot of snow every year, but giving up some snow in order to not be as threatened by tornadoes seems like a GREAT trade.

Reactions: VOLNPA
We found some land in Montgomery we are considering purchasing and building on. Anyone have info on that town/area?

Do not take her to Savannah, GA in August then.

NOWHERE in Georgia during that month. I got married, once, in Vinings. August. I was sweating bullets before the ceremony was over. Took longer to get out of the marriage than in to it. East Tennessee is lovely. A bit nippy this AM at 30 degrees. Kingsport is protected because it sits in a bowl. No major floods; tornadoes seem to bounce over. Close to good lakes if you like to fish. Come here. "We're hiring," haha.

I retire in a few years and we wanna set up shop in Tennessee. It's early but I wanna get the ground work laid and start really getting to know some areas when we come down for games. What are some towns/communities that we may want to look into? I have a nice retirement, but price still does matter. Kids are out of the house, so school districts don't matter. We are comfortable with city or country feel. Coming from PA, potential weather is not a concern. Solid HS sports may be cool to have near by, but its not a mandate. And the usual things apply. Safe. Reasonable taxes.

You might as well say that sales tax is 10 percent, but there is not a state tax. A wash. Come to Kingsport area. There is plenty of land if you want to build. Lots of great homes. DB still rocks and rolls. JC is just down the road if you really need to shop. Hated the place growing up, but I really do appreciate it now.

1649722864752.jpeg1649722934933.jpeg1649723020174.jpeg1649723094525.jpeg1649723151540.jpeg

South Pittsburgh is very picturesque. Right along the TN river. It has some of the best views in the state. Also, it's far enough away from Chattanooga that you don't have to deal with the traffic, but close enough that you can get there in roughly half an hour. It's also under 1.5 hours from Nashville and about 45 min from Murfreesboro, which has grown tremendously the last 15-20 years.

Reactions: VOLNPA
As if TN is any better in the summer lol

As a person that grew up 40 miles south of ATL, lived another 16 in NE GA, been to Savannah more than once in August, and lives in northern Middle TN, yes Savannah is one of the worst places to be in summer, especially august.

As a person that grew up 40 miles south of ATL, lived another 16 in NE GA, been to Savannah more than once in August, and lives in northern Middle TN, yes Savannah is one of the worst places to be in summer, especially august.
Not saying it isn't miserable. I lived there for 7 and did far more than most in the summers there I'm sure. Columbia SC wasn't any better. Nor is Fort. Campbell.

Not saying it isn't miserable. I lived there for 7 and did far more than most in the summers there I'm sure. Columbia SC wasn't any better. Nor is Fort. Campbell.

I'm thinking Columbus, GA fits that list, as well as Augusta. They both sit kinda down in a bowl. Columbia sucks for other reasons. I feared the gnats in South Ga far more than the heat.

Reactions: YankeeVol
The worst city in August is probably Jackson, MS. You are close enough to the high pressure dome that usually sits over the middle of the country, close enough to Gulf for crazy humidity, far enough from Gulf not to get a breeze, and no elevation to speak of to lower temps.

Okay, this guy was cool and took the picture for me. I appreciate copper work. I had a mess after an updraft when I lived in White City. Pretty.

1649802451517.jpeg1649802522296.jpeg

VN Store

Back