Early line on UAB vs UT

Originally posted by utvolpj@Aug 4, 2005 2:32 PM
Also, if the UT d-line gets after him it could be a long day.  Just ask David Greene.
[snapback]121569[/snapback]​

Man, we did eat him up last year. I remember watching that game and thinking our secondary was playing so much better, but if you really go back and watch our line completely dominated.

UAB has a VERY deep WR corps. Probably our primary target this year will be Reggie Lindsey. He was one of our top receivers last year as well as one of our top kick-return guys averaging over 25 yards per return (and had several punt returns for a TD). But we have many other tall, fast, and experienced WRs that will get the ball alot (Nick Coon, Lance Rhodes, Norris Drinkard, Carl Duncan, etc etc).

As far as shutting down David Greene... that wasnt much of a chore for UAB either. Our defense held him to just 16 points two years ago (and we havent lost many players off that defense...in fact, many of the same players, just older now).

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Aug 3, 2005 10:19 PM
Don't forget:  #2 tackle, #3 corner, #11 and #27 backer, #12 guard. . .

Surprised to see no wideouts on the list -- probably because there will be too much "spreading the love" for one guy to have ridiculous numbers.  Riggs at #10 is most likely an "individual" ranking, without considering the line and coaching style.  Many consider him an early "Heistman hopeful," so that should vault him to the upper few of the RB's.
[snapback]121337[/snapback]​

We did not have "supertar" WR's last year, just a deep group of "very good" receivers. The ball was spread out alot, and Meachem did not really come on until late......but mark my words, Meachem will be listed as one of the elite receivers in the country this time next year.

Meachem will have some of the best numbers in the SEC this year....I'm excited...I just hope CPF throws the ball around more this year...We got the talent to, we just need to use it.

If you are talking about his new one, it's about the road to the SEC championship game in Atlanta and those are the teams that we play this season....

Ahh... I thought that was what he wanted the SEC conference to look like and was wondering why he would leave out Auburn and have Notre Dame in there if that were the case. Makes sense now though. Thanks!

Serious question. Would many Vols rather have Memphis in the SEC than Vandy?

Memphis would have to be in the West, then we'd have to move the Aubies to the East, and then either them or us wouldn't play 'bama every year... realigning like that would be nightmarish. Besides, Vandy helps to add academic integrity to the conference, which I don't think Memphis would, not on the same level anyway.

Vandy raises everyone else's grades, plus they are good at Women's basketball, baseball, and occasionly men's basketball.

You still have to admit that the Engineering Colleges at schools like UT, AU, UGA, and UF are quite highly regarded... we're not a bunch of slouch schools when it comes to grades, its just those that go for Leisure Studies, and Business and such that bring us down...

Originally posted by rwemyss@Aug 5, 2005 2:38 PM
we're not a bunch of slouch schools when it comes to grades, its just those that go for Leisure Studies, and Business and such that bring us down...
[snapback]122118[/snapback]​

Since when did business become a cupcake degree? :eek:

I'm beginning to wonder about my educational choice. :lol:

hehehe... sorry, engineer's joke. :D

I do know quite a few Business majors that aren't exactly the brightest bulbs in the box, yet they seem to breeze through school.

Originally posted by rwemyss@Aug 5, 2005 2:45 PM
hehehe... sorry, engineer's joke.  :D

I do know quite a few Business majors that aren't exactly the brightest bulbs in the box, yet they seem to breeze through school.
[snapback]122120[/snapback]​

In business school, we had a term for people like that - Management Major. :lol:

I expect it to be much like the La Tech game from last year... scare early in the game, but our depth ultimately wins out.

UAB is pretty deep too. It will definitely be an interesting game. The only place where we dont have depth is the QB position, but not many schools have depth there. We definitely have some backup QBs that can play, but none on the level of Hackney.

Blazer, I know UAB is a good team, I watched them play a few games last year, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say about the Blazers being deep. The Blazer's depth and the Vols depth are like apples and oranges, not even comparable.

I also noted your comment in another thread that there should be a couple thousand UAB fans come to Ktown... do you really think so? It didn't seem that the Blazers traveled very well last year. I hope they do, people from B'ham are the most rational ppl in the stat of Alabama. No diss man... my g/f goes to UAB, and she'll be at the game, but it won't be in Blazer green.

Edit: Oh, and I wouldn't be worried about not being deep at QB, Hackney is an amazing athelete, the place where depth is most needed is in the trenches, on the DL and OL.

Our depth may not be to UT's level, but we're several deep at every position. We've got about 3 RBs that will see action... probably 5-7 WRs... and you'll see a bunch of shuffling around in our defense all across the board (LBs, DBs, and DL). The only place you wont see much shuffling around is the OL and QB, but we do plenty of backups... theyre just not necessarily going to see action except in the event of an emergency or something.

UAB brought several thousand to Southern Miss and Miss. State last year (ie, 3,000-4,000+). First off, the UT game is against a big opponent and secondly, it's not a very long or difficult drive to Knoxville. There will definitely be several thousand UAB fans there. It may not be as many as some other SEC schools bring, but it'll be significantly more than what UAB brought the last time we played yall.

Originally posted by VolBeef88@Aug 5, 2005 11:19 AM
What about his avitar
[snapback]122100[/snapback]​

It's about Steve Prefontaine, a distance runner from the Oregon coast and the best distance runner in the history of this country. He won like 7 NCAA cross country championships, and had the American record for every distance from 2,000 to 10,000 meters. He was also heavily favored to sweep distance at the 1976 Olympics but died in a car crash the year before.

About the avatar, a lot of his fans had shirts that said "Go Pre" so some of his fans as a joke started making shirts that said "Stop Pre".

Originally posted by Blazer85@Aug 5, 2005 9:07 PM
Our depth may not be to UT's level, but we're several deep at every position.  We've got about 3 RBs that will see action... probably 5-7 WRs... and you'll see a bunch of shuffling around in our defense all across the board (LBs, DBs, and DL).  The only place you wont see much shuffling around is the OL and QB, but we do plenty of backups... theyre just not necessarily going to see action except in the event of an emergency or something. 

UAB brought several thousand to Southern Miss and Miss. State last year (ie, 3,000-4,000+).  First off, the UT game is against a big opponent and secondly, it's not a very long or difficult drive to Knoxville.  There will definitely be several thousand UAB fans there.  It may not be as many as some other SEC schools bring, but it'll be significantly more than what UAB brought the last time we played yall.
[snapback]122228[/snapback]​

Glad to hear it. :D :thumbsup:

On the OL situation... if that's the case those guys will have their hands on their hips and puffing halfway through the second quarter with the likes of Mahelona and Harelson pushing them the whole time... which may be the only way to get a sack b/c it takes about 10 guys to get Hackney on the ground. :lol:

Originally posted by rwemyss@Aug 8, 2005 6:34 AM
Glad to hear it.  :D  :thumbsup:

On the OL situation... if that's the case those guys will have their hands on their hips and puffing halfway through the second quarter with the likes of Mahelona and Harelson pushing them the whole time... which may be the only way to get a sack b/c it takes about 10 guys to get Hackney on the ground.  :lol:
[snapback]123713[/snapback]​

It wouldnt take 10 Haralsons to get him down... but if he gets into the secondary, that's a different story :laugh1: It will be interesting to see how much we do shuffle in OL. It's not that we dont do it at all, but I just dont think we shuffle in different OL on every play like we do with WRs, RBs, LBs, DBs, and DL.

No disrespect, I'm just giving my honest opinion, but I don't expect the game to be very close. I believe our defense will shut UAB down much like FSU did last year and the UAB defense is very suspect. We won the SECE last year with the youngest team in the league. I think we could have a dominant front 7 and our secondary should be much improved. We started 2 freshman in the secondary last year, one earning FR All-American honors and the other All-SEC honors. Plus we have Antwan Stewart returning from missing all of last year. He actually beat out Jason Allen before his injury sidelined him. We also signed a very good DB class, including the #1 CB in the country, Dee Morley. And early indications are that he is all that he was hyped to be.

We also had a very young and inexperienced DT group and they WILL be special this year. Mahelona played in his first year of D1 football after coming from the JUCO ranks and was an All-American. Justin Harrell, Turk McBride, and TOny McDaniel were all very inexperienced sophmores and all three have All-SEC potential. Coach Fulmers says this could be our best front 7 since he's been here and thats saying a LOT.

I would take 23.

I think it may be a little close at halftime but in the end we pile it on

VN Store

Back