E. Westbrook - Best PG in TN Lady Vol History?

Zolman is from Indiana. She graduated from UT in 2006. She actually got drafted to the WNBA and played 4 seasons before retiring due to injuries. Her career avg . in the WNBA. is 8 ppg and 40% from 3pt.

I knew it was one of those states (Illinois/Indiana) that she was from. Should've remembered it was Indiana bc of all the good bb players coming out of there but time on my side forgets.
Thanks for posting this about her because most of us had lost track of what happened to her after her playing days at UT. She was a great player for the women's game.

Last edited:
She has a way to go to pass Lawson. She still has problems against pressing point guard with quickness because of her handle. She excels against teams that do not press her and do have a point guard close to her talent level. I think when she tightens up that handle and gets better at the free throw line she definitely could be the best point guard ever.
We've had some good ones Lawson, Massengill, and still my favorite only played two years Bobbitt.

I love Evina. She has the best court vision I've seen at UT. Some of the passes she makes are stunningly beautiful. Not a great defender, but deceptively good. Great on the trap, anticipating passing lanes, and also very good once the dribbler gets around her: she often gives enough ground to not foul then blocks the shot from behind. But... Too many turnovers (which should continue to improve), an occasional bad shot, and not quick enough to beat pressure with the dribble (which great court vision and passing ability CAN make up for). And, she's got to knock down her free throws.

Can’t forget about Shannon Bobbit. Nobody played with more heart and she kept a defense honest from three. Plus she was just flat fun to watch. Only juco transfer I can ever remember making such a huge impact.

Here is why i would put Shannon Bobbit at # 1 On offense she was a nightmare to guard, Would go by you with no problem also if could hit the 3 if you backed up. And to note for get about trapping her.

She is gonna rank way up there before she is done. Of those I've seen play multiple times in person, my top five are (in no particular order):

Head
Warlick
Kelly Jolly
Bobbitt
Marciniak

They maybe were not the most athletic on the planet but they were winners.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
She is gonna rank way up there before she is done. Of those I've seen play multiple times in person, my top five are (in no particular order):

Head
Warlick
Kelly Jolly
Bobbitt
Marciniak

They maybe were not the most athletic on the planet but they were winners.
Agreed. There is an indefinable quality about a really great point guard that is beyond athletic ability. It is some type of mental strength; I don’t mean IQ, game knowledge, etc. just that something that says, “I am the leader and I will NOT allow you to lose.”, and the team believes and follows. Note, although not a PG Chamiqua had this ability in spades!

I love Evina but its way too early. I see why you’d put this up. I wouldn’t be surprised though if she ends up being at the top or near the top of the list.

•Kellie Jolly!
•Dena Head
•Kara Lawson
•Ace Clement
My pastor told me Sunday that Ace Clement was coaching a High school team in Chattanooga Tennessee. Silverdale Baptist Church, his daughter is playing. They are using out church gym for practice, I ask if I could watch but he told me they are closed to the public. He said she was putting them threw the wringer.

Reactions: ksl415
Seems like I remember Dena was not supposed to be a point guard but injury forced her into that position. Seems like it was the Texas week when that happened and thanks to home cooking refs, we (barely) lost that game.

It was a different era when PGs played a different style of basketball than is played now, but there's one name noone has mentioned and she even has a jersey hanging in the rafters: Holly Warlick.
You're right; HW is the only PG with her jersey retired at UT. However, when she played, the game was much different, and she wasn't asked to score. I think KJ or Kara Lawson has to be considered.

Reactions: lvocd
It was a different era when PGs played a different style of basketball than is played now, but there's one name noone has mentioned and she even has a jersey hanging in the rafters: Holly Warlick.

Was that the time when the girls would dribble to mid-court & pass the ball to the others to score?
Those were long long days ago. Seems stupid now that they were to do that.

You're right; HW is the only PG with her jersey retired at UT. However, when she played, the game was much different, and she wasn't asked to score. I think KJ or Kara Lawson has to be considered.

Kara Lawson was definitely as steady a point guard as any to play at UT -- or anywhere, for that matter. If she'd been a little quicker she'd have been nearly unstoppable. Gawd, how many times did Pat put the ball into Kara's hands to take end-game last-second shots? Lawson crushed so many opponents' hearts so many times with her last-second game-winning heroics. I may be wrong, but I don't recall any other Lady Vol who made any more ice-in-her-veins game winners than Kara did during her UT career. I don't recall any Lady Vol PG who played with more passion, either. Lawson would irritate the he!! out of opponents' fans with how fired up she'd get on the court.

Yep. Lawson gets my vote. :)

All the great point guards in Lady Vols history led their team to a Championship or the Championship game multiple times.

Big games, is where your lore is established, Sec Championships etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolBall09
All the great point guards Lady Vols history led their team to a Championship or the Championship game multiple times.

Big games, is where your lore is established, Sec Championships etc.

100%, until you're hoisting some hardware it is hard to throw your name around for consideration as the greatest of anything at Tennessee.

A great pg doesn't throw crazy passes impossible for their teammates to catch or do anything with. Rae should have smacked Evina a couple times yesterday for that.
Yes, but then we would be down to 9 players

Kelli Jolley.......hands down. I bet Pat would say the same. She got it done for championships!!

A great pg doesn't throw crazy passes impossible for their teammates to catch or do anything with. Rae should have smacked Evina a couple times yesterday for that.
This is absolutely untrue. Every great great passer bounces passes off of teammates heads until the teammates adjust and start catching them. A little more time together and they'll be in sync.

Nothing personal against the op, but this is a stupid thread.

Westbrook led UT with turnovers last season.

She has just begun her second season. Much tougher competition awaits UT and Westbrook. The games against Texas, Stanford, Kentucky, Georgia, Auburn, Missouri, Notre Dame, etc., will let us know just how good Westbrook and UT really are.

Last edited:
Or, this is her team now and she is preparing her team to be ready for her passes. This team’s offensive identity must change. After watching Evina yesterday, I feel she may be the one to lead this team into the new era. She attacked, she controlled the game as the undisputed general. after hearing her interview afterward with Dearstone (in the car, open road, all alone, never listened before, how fun!!) I feel she knows the game, is so plugged in and sounds completely selfless. I am so hopeful. As for TOs, after listening to Mickey, it’s no wonder. She is transforming stagnation and has the ball in her hands all the time!!! Growing pains while she makes something happen. And, Mickey said her name more than he said the name of the other nine players on the court at any point combined.

Now, I watched the highlights after reaching my destination last night, and one thing really bothered me. It looks to me that Evina was constantly getting undercut or bodied the whole way to the hoop. I know it’s been said before, but for f*** sake, if you’re gonna handicap height out of some desire for equality then handicap the fast ones too and put them all on even ground. Salute to her for playing though contact, sometimes from 2 players and finishing at 12-15.

Please God, let he keep on this trajectory. She literally could be more than a game changer. She could be the one changing a fading former dynasty back to relevance

Reactions: Pat4life and lvocd
Nothing personal against the op, but this is a stupid thread.

Westbrook led UT with turnovers last season.

She has just begun her second season. Much tougher competition awaits UT and Westbrook. The games against Texas, Stanford, Kentucky, Georgia, Auburn, Missouri, Notre Dame, etc., will let us know just how good Westbrook and UT really are.

Exactly what I said that their season starts on the 9th.

VN Store

Back