Dwight Jones Article... Interesting

SCGAMECOCK11

February 06, 2007
Clemson Pulls Rug Out From Jones
By Phil Kornblut
When Shrine Bowl WR Dwight Jones (6-3 210) of Burlington, NC made his official visit to Clemson January 19th, he was given the red carpet treatment by all accounts. Tuesday night the Tigers pulled that rug out from under Jones. According to Jones, Clemson contacted his head coach Steve Johnson earlier in the day and informed him they could not sign Jones for academic reasons. "They said something about my grades or something," Jones said Tuesday night. "They've been recruiting me for a long time. They said something about a committee and my GPA." After getting the news from Johnson, Jones's mother called Clemson recruiter Billy Napier who later made a call back to Jones. "He told me I could still go there but now I don't think I'll go to Clemson," Jones said. "He said if I wake up in the morning and wanted to come to Clemson I could. They tell my high school coach one thing and me another. They told him I couldn't come there. I'm still very confused about things. I still might go there but I basically feel it's between North Carolina and Tennessee." Cummings High School assistant coach and athletic director Jay Purdue said Tuesday night he was stunned by this suddent turn of events. "Those coaches (at Clemson), this is their first rodeo," Purdue said. "I don't know what's changed from when they met with him Saturday. We had already discussed with all the schools that if Dwight doesn't get the test score that they would place him in a prep school. Tennessee, (North) Carolina, they all know that." According to a source familiar with the situation, the investigtion by Clemson compliance of an email encouraging fans to meet Jones at Death Valley on the Saturday of his official visit could be a factor in the decision to suddenly back off Jones, a Shrine Bowl receiver strongly recruited by Clemson since he backed off an earlier committed to North Carolina following the firing of the John Bunting staff. Jones will sign with a school at 11:00 Wednesday morning with a ceremony at his home.

It's called Clemson trying to save face. They were 3rd on the list. Nothing more, nothing less.

Remember this is from a school that calls themselves the Orange & White even tho Purple is a primary color

There's a new article on Rivals.com about Tennessee wanting a strong finish. Is there any new information in that article about any of UT's remaining targets?

They are picking

Paige to UT
G. Jones to UT
D. Jones to UNC, UT or Clemson depending on the person
Maze to Bama

Ummm... He was at the game tonight was he not? I can't imagine him coming to Knoxville for the game until 1130 and then driving 5 hours home to sign at UNC. Doesn't it make too much sense for him to take in a game here, spend the night in Knoxville, and then sign his LOI on national TV at Neyland?

Part of the Clemson spin machine said on the radio this morning that "Dwight Jones had a long way to go to qualify."

To me, that's code for......we just missed on another big time recruit.

Good luck Vols. I don't care where he goes. We'll have to face him either way.

Part of the Clemson spin machine said on the radio this morning that "Dwight Jones had a long way to go to qualify."

To me, that's code for......we just missed on another big time recruit.

Good luck Vols. I don't care where he goes. We'll have to face him either way.

This spin is nothing from Clemson. You should listen Bowden try to explain their win/loss record the last few seasons.

VN Store

Back