DVT

VolFaninFla

Any of you familiar with Deep Vein Thrombosis?
I had leg pain for three days and went to the emergency room today. Blood clotting in my right leg.
They immediately put me on Xarelto. Have to take it for six months.

Reactions: AshG
I had leg pain for three days and went to the emergency room today. Blood clotting in my right leg.

Chronic sufferer here. Xarelto beats the snot out of the old Coumadin regiment. Glad you caught it.

Listen to everyone who says go to the ER if you have shortness of breath. Don't second guess, just do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolFaninFla
Man, I have no advice other than what's been said about going to the er, but I'll be praying for you.

I've had DVT. Happened after heart bypass surgery which is not uncommon. Treated with Eliquis. Read the info from Dr. Move around. Don't sit all day. get up and move at least every hour
A year later, Jan, 2020 I had PE. Which is blood clot in the lung. A Long story. Now I'm permanently on Eliquis and Plavix.

Be careful, and watch you body.

Last edited:
Yep. Go to the ER if short of breath. I had groin pain, ignored it, worked in the garden, got short of breath. Convinced myself it would go away, finally went to the ER, had bilateral pulmonary embolisms, rode a lifestar chopper to U of L Rudd heart and lung center. Had an EKOS procedure the next morning. Had the blood thinners for almost a year. Pretty much good to go now, 2 plus years later.

Have you been vaccinated?

Because there are some instances of that being a side effect of the vaccines.
A few people mentioned that to me. I did speak with someone this week that told me that someone they work with had developed blood clots.
I suspect that mine resulted in my drive from Tampa to Sanford the week before last.
I was in the car for over seven hours without getting out and taking breaks like I usually do.
The pain in my calf finally subsided today and I was able to go to the dog park tonight.

Yep. Go to the ER if short of breath. I had groin pain, ignored it, worked in the garden, got short of breath. Convinced myself it would go away, finally went to the ER, had bilateral pulmonary embolisms, rode a lifestar chopper to U of L Rudd heart and lung center. Had an EKOS procedure the next morning. Had the blood thinners for almost a year. Pretty much good to go now, 2 plus years later.
What blood thinner were you taking? Are you completely off medication? Do they know what caused your issue?

I've had DVT. Happened after heart bypass surgery which is not uncommon. Treated with Eliquis. Read the info from Dr. Move around. Don't sit all day. get up and move at least every hour
A year later, Jan, 2020 I had PE. Which is blood clot in the lung. A Long story. Now I'm permanently on Eliquis and Plavix.

Be careful, and watch you body.
Thank you for sharing. Yes, I am following the regimen as prescribed. Calling a Hematologist this week to set up an appointment.

Clot should dissolve over time now that on the blood thinner. I’m sure they told you but if you begin to experience shortness of breath, go to the ER.
Yes, they did. I’m usually reluctant to see a doctor but this just felt different.
I’m very glad I went.
Thank you.

Chronic sufferer here. Xarelto beats the snot out of the old Coumadin regiment. Glad you caught it.

Listen to everyone who says go to the ER if you have shortness of breath. Don't second guess, just do it.
Ash, what causes yours? How long will you be on Xarelto?

How would you describe the groin pain? Was it like a muscular strain/soreness type of pain, pressure type pain,etc.?

Ash, what causes yours? How long will you be on Xarelto?

I have a condition called Acquired Lupal Anticoagulant Disorder. It's a bit of a confusing mouthful. I was diagnosed by Dr Hannah at UTMC.

I'm one of the patients (a moderate percentage) where the disorder works backwards and causes hyper coagulation instead of anticoagulation.

Also, because it's acquired that also means it can be unacquired. Hematologists are working on that trick right now.

I'm on Xarelto for life, pretty much

Have you had covid this past year?

A few people mentioned that to me. I did speak with someone this week that told me that someone they work with had developed blood clots.
I suspect that mine resulted in my drive from Tampa to Sanford the week before last.
I was in the car for over seven hours without getting out and taking breaks like I usually do.
The pain in my calf finally subsided today and I was able to go to the dog park tonight.
VFF, sorry to heear about your trials but keep up the fight. What dog park you take the pups to? Just dont like the one around me. So far Pinellas county has the better pup playgrounds.

VFF, sorry to heear about your trials but keep up the fight. What dog park you take the pups to? Just dont like the one around me. So far Pinellas county has the better pup playgrounds.
Thank you, my hope is that I have to take the Xarelto for only the six months.
I’m in Citrus Park and go to Logan Dog Park. Will sometimes go to the dog park in Carrollwood Village Park. I like them both.
What park are you going to with the dogs?

Last edited:
I use to fly a lot for work. I first read about DVT in an airline magazine. It said to get up and walk around once an hour, loosen your shoe strings or remove your shoes while seated. They also suggested wearing socks that came up over your calf. They didn't give reason for socks!!!

VN Store

Back