Doug Matthews this morning

he lost all credibility during the investigation / pruitt firing rumors. he stated multiple times that Pruitt will be the coach next season and that the allegations would not hurt pruitts job security. stopped listening after that

You can claim that all you want. Fact is most were wrong about that. Did you listen? If so, is he completely wrong here? If so where? And if so how?

I appreciate Doug Matthews but he is hard to listen to. He talks so slow and then he gets off on tangents/side tracks. It takes him forever to get to his point. But I will still listen if I'm in the truck and he's on.

Reactions: Vfl2407
Didn’t he say a while back. JEREMY. PRUITT. IS. NOT. GOING. ANYWHERE?? Lol
"Jeremy Pruitt is not getting fired, he's safe for a while" Doug Matthews
he lost all credibility during the investigation / pruitt firing rumors. he stated multiple times that Pruitt will be the coach next season and that the allegations would not hurt pruitts job security. stopped listening after that
How do some folks trust a man that:
1. Said Pruitt wasn’t being fired
I'm not defending Doug Matthews, don't really know a ton about him, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about Pruitt surviving to the 2021 season based on the 3-7 record, more than the investigation. I mean, at THAT point in time, I think we all pretty much believed Pruitt was going to get another year (whether we wanted that or not) until the scope of the investigation was revealed on the 18th of January.

Lulz. Sometimes I think I spend way too much time on VN and actually feel like I wasted time. I honestly can't imagine spending any time on a Georgia board.
No kidding. I tried it once. On the Northwestern board, of all places, before and after we played them in that bowl game. Talk about BORING...most of the threads were about a ton of subjects, players, coaches, and events I had absolutely zero interest in.

It amazes me we have so many other schools' fans hanging out here. Life must be pretty dull for them everywhere else.

Tough crowd.

Who in early December predicted UT would opt out of a bowl game, Pruitt would be fired for cause, Fulmer would be essentially forced into retirement, UT would hire one of the best ADS in the nation, he would in turn hire a HC with SEC success, but would appear to have trouble finding a DC better than Steele... this thing has got more twists than a bad soap opera. You listen for someone's thoughts and insight and consider them or don't. Or ignore him completely. But no one is motivated to be "Fulmer's mouthpiece. "

No one. That's conspiracy theory stuff. It's just goofy.

Doug was an outstanding coach at UT and a terrific running back at Vandy. Doug bases his info on close contacts including other coaches and agents, former players etc. Yes his info may at times be only a shade above what is available on this message board or even less accurate. Generally he will be on the positive side rather than negative and is not a firebrand. It is a balanced year around UT show overall including his basketball report from Bill Justus, who was an outstanding player at UT. They are UT homers - the basketball part of the show is really good in my opinion. Justus knows SEC basketball - Mathews knows SEC football - both unlike most of the media types around Knoxville.

Doug came out strong related to the Kacy Rodgers negotiations as the top candidate. Doug is not overly concerned if the hire takes some time as Kacy only completed his NFL season a week ago. Kevin Steele is the fallback position if top targets cannot be signed. I thought I heard recently that Doug may add John Chavis as a regular guest but that may have been incorrect.

I think Doug's opinion that Pruitt is leaving an excellent roster behind for Heupel is correct. Talent is night and days ahead of what Butch left for Pruitt. That is a major reason (and with Rodney Garner hired) to not over-react to timing of a DC being announced.

The Mathews show next Sunday will feature a discussion of NCAA probation and the 2021 football schedule.

Really? So you know coaches? Former players? You know Kevin Steele personally and worked with him? You have been associated with D1 sports for decades? I am sure you have 😂😂😂
Fulmer was all that and look how good he was at his job...
By the way, hi Phil

Meh, he repeated what Fulmer thought. Fulmer was screwed as soon as the allegations about Pruitt were brought to light. I wouldn’t doubt what someone wasn’t encouraged to leak these allegations just to get Fulmer out of the AD.

I appreciate Doug Matthews but he is hard to listen to. He talks so slow and then he gets off on tangents/side tracks. It takes him forever to get to his point. But I will still listen if I'm in the truck and he's on.
It’s like listening to someone with severe Attention Deficit Disorder.

Lulz. Sometimes I think I spend way too much time on VN and actually feel like I wasted time. I honestly can't imagine spending any time on a Georgia board.

Are you kidding! Where else could I get this kind of entertainment for free?

Come on.......This alone is enough to make him 100% more knowledgeable than 99.9999% of people on here.........in my opinion. Pretty impressive....I like him. The dude knows about football, regardless of what most couch coaches believe..........of course, to each his own....and there could be other people on here, with these credentials, that I don't know about. But...I doubt it. It's one thing to disagree, but to act like he's not knowledgeable is pretty ridiculous.

The son of a newspaper publisher, Mathews was born and raised in Picher, Oklahoma. He starred in three sports in high school, before signing a scholarship to play football at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M. While at NEO, Mathews earned a selection on the All–American team as well being named the National Junior College Player of the Year in 1967.
As a sophomore he helped lead Coach Chuck Bowman’s team to the 1967 NJCAA National Championship with a 9-1 overall record. During the championship game, Mathews had a 76 yard punt return for a touchdown while rushing for 97 yards on 22 carries and catching six passes for 48 yards.
Those numbers led to Mathews 2008 induction into the Northeastern Oklahoma A&M’s Sports Hall of Fame.
Following his graduation from A&M, Mathews transferred to Vanderbilt, where he handled tailback and return duties. He led the Southeastern Conference in rushing during his senior year in 1969 with 849 yards, becoming the only Commodore to lead the conference in rushing. This included a 214-yard performance against Tulane. His mark of 168 kickoff return yards in one game against Florida in 1969 stood as a Vanderbilt record until 2002.
His 1,067 all-purpose yards ranked second in the SEC for the 1969 season.

And.....................

Mathews spent ten seasons as Running Backs Coach and Defensive Coordinator for the University of Tennessee from 1980 to 1989. Mathews credited Bear Bryant and Bud Wilkinson as coaches who influenced the way he coached his players during the years he worked inside the game.
No one had as much of an effect as Virginia Tech head coach Bill Dooley. Mathews says Dooley furnished him with his first opportunity as an offensive coach and provided him with valuable information within the I-formation offense.
Mathews’ coaching career began in 1972 when he coached defensive backs at Northeast Louisiana. He moved to Weber State for three seasons where he served as defensive coordinator. In 1976, Mathews made to move to Louisville where he coached three seasons before departing for Virginia Tech in 1979. As a Hokies assistant, he coached running backs under the legendary Dooley.

VN Store

Back