Donate and join Tennessee’s NIL here (link provided)

What about the contracts? What info can Spyre provide on how the contracts are structured?

Are the players required to sign with or stay at Tennessee or pay the money back if they renege on their commitments or leave Tennessee?

How are the players incentivized to perform?

What protects the collective membership's investment?

VOLfrombama

What about the contracts? What info can Spyre provide on how the contracts are structured?

Are the players required to sign with or stay at Tennessee or pay the money back if they renege on their commitments or leave Tennessee?

How are the players incentivized to perform?

What protects the collective membership's investment?
To add to that, what happens if the player is a bust, gets in trouble, suspended, etc?

Look, Im glad we are recruiting at a higher level now, but these are high school kids with no guarantee that we will ever see the product we are all collectively expecting, especially as a direct contributor.

I need a lot more details and transparency. Then I will feel a lot better about donating.

BigSteve09

https://www.spyresports.com/volunteer-club-levels
To add to that, what happens if the player is a bust, gets in trouble, suspended, etc?

Look, Im glad we are recruiting at a higher level now, but these are high school kids with no guarantee that we will ever see the product we are all collectively expecting, especially as a direct contributor.

I need a lot more details and transparency. Then I will feel a lot better about donating.
They have character clauses just like other major sporting contracts. Stewart Mandel, Bruce Feldman, and David Ubben examined an $8M deal earlier this year.

BigALWiLson

No kid entering a contract in college or the NFL is a guarantee. I am sure they have a clause in the contract about staying out of trouble etc. They will not release a contract to confirm though and legally they dont have to. Lawyers and such. I would also say they have performances clauses. Meaning the client would have to be marketable in which case they would have to be doing well on the field for their merchandise, events etc to be successful... Which means them making money for Spyre to pay them for appearances etc

I understand people have questions, are leery, just don't agree with NIL, etc., but one thing is for certain. If we fall behind other schools on NIL, recruiting will suffer. No ifs, ands, or buts. If that happens we will be middle of the pack in the SEC forever. That's just the reality of the game now.

VOLfrombama

No kid entering a contract in college or the NFL is a guarantee. I am sure they have a clause in the contract about staying out of trouble etc. They will not release a contract to confirm though and legally they dont have to. Lawyers and such. I would also say they have performances clauses. Meaning the client would have to be marketable in which case they would have to be doing well on the field for their merchandise, events etc to be successful... Which means them making money for Spyre to pay them for appearances etc
You can't compare John Q Public's donation to a college to a billionaire NFL team owner though. That's not a fair comparison. Besides, the NFL has a pretty good idea of who can play and who cannot by the time Juniors in college are entering the draft, so the chances of him being a bust go down significantly.

If they have all these clauses, then Spyre should just publicly say so. They don't have to go into detail. Just state its there to protect the interests of Spyre and its donor base. It would ease a lot of people's minds and probably result in a lot more donations by fiscally conservative folks like myself.

VOLfrombama

I understand people have questions, are leery, just don't agree with NIL, etc., but one thing is for certain. If we fall behind other schools on NIL, recruiting will suffer. No ifs, ands, or buts. If that happens we will be middle of the pack in the SEC forever. That's just the reality of the game now.
Agreed. That's why Spyre should make a public statement sharing some transparency. I'm not asking to review a contract. Just give us the basics.

We all love the Vols and hope for the best. Nobody wants to fall behind. The ball is in Spyre's court. If they really want to shift into a new gear, be more transparent.

I realize some folks are in the same boat as me, so i just emailed Spyre to request more information. If they respond with anyhting more than a canned answer, I will bring it here.

Last edited:

jeff1vol

Apparently, the word is that the UT admin has put the kybosh on the NIL stuff. Hence our lack of recruiting traction/movement. As crazy as that sounds, there would be NOTHING more UT than for the Admin to absolutely destroy any momentum we have. We are...
If this interference with Spyre continues, they may get fed up with UT and move on. I can see it now. I hope that some of the more influential donors get on White Danny's ass asap and tell him to back off!

Kirby Dumb travels with his NIL guys when he recruits, like GA needs any help recruiting. Then you have the Vols who cut themselves off at the knees. Great strategy if you wanna say mediocre

VN Store