Dogs of VolNation and other pets that are inferior to Dogs

So...Monday we had to put down our female GS, Casey. Her story is a tough one, but a good one.

She came to us 8 years ago, less than a year after we had lost our previous Shepherd, Sasha. Sasha was AKC royalty, and I trained her to protect Diana. This she did with fierce and unending effort. She had five bites in her time. Two of them were me when training her. Pain well earned. If it's Sasha -vs- Al Qaeda, my money's on the dog.

After Sasha, my wife said "Never again. Not another Shepherd. Losing Sasha hurt too much." I left it at that.

And then Casey showed up. Wife heard about her on a local Facebook page. Female Shepherd. Orphaned after the S.O. (mine) served a drug warrant. Diana asked me if I would give her a look. Like a fool, I agreed.

Showed up wearing a rusted-on collar and a chain I wouldn't put on any animal. All shoulder blades and ribs. Scared of everything, including our cats. "Ruined", I said to myself, but there was something in her eyes, scared though they were.

We kept her that weekend, and took her to the vet on Monday. Heartworms, of course. But by Monday, Casey had found a place in our hearts, so...

Did the slow kill on the heartworms. She would not have survived the treatment. So two years. In those two years, she fattened up; got used to the cats; and went everywhere we went. TN, PA, NY. Casey was our constant companion, and how that girl loved to travel.

No matter how good you are, you cannot sum up 8 years of unconditional love in a few sentences, so I won't try. I'll just say that Casey was a one-off, and I am so grateful that we were the ones who benefitted from her love.

She went to sleep in the back seat of my truck with her head in my hand. I loved that girl. And she paid us back many times over with her love, her loyalty, and her antics. What a gift she was.

We'll scatter her ashes in the back yard, where she loved to run, romp, and catch Frisbees and tennis balls. In lieu of a proper memorial, I thought this a good place to share what a special girl she was. Fact is, they're all special. For the most part, we give our pets time we can spare, food we can spare, and love we can spare.

And in return, they give us everything.

We sure did love you, Casey. We miss you. Thanks for the lesson on what love really looks like.
Sorry man.

So...Monday we had to put down our female GS, Casey. Her story is a tough one, but a good one.

She came to us 8 years ago, less than a year after we had lost our previous Shepherd, Sasha. Sasha was AKC royalty, and I trained her to protect Diana. This she did with fierce and unending effort. She had five bites in her time. Two of them were me when training her. Pain well earned. If it's Sasha -vs- Al Qaeda, my money's on the dog.

After Sasha, my wife said "Never again. Not another Shepherd. Losing Sasha hurt too much." I left it at that.

And then Casey showed up. Wife heard about her on a local Facebook page. Female Shepherd. Orphaned after the S.O. (mine) served a drug warrant. Diana asked me if I would give her a look. Like a fool, I agreed.

Showed up wearing a rusted-on collar and a chain I wouldn't put on any animal. All shoulder blades and ribs. Scared of everything, including our cats. "Ruined", I said to myself, but there was something in her eyes, scared though they were.

We kept her that weekend, and took her to the vet on Monday. Heartworms, of course. But by Monday, Casey had found a place in our hearts, so...

Did the slow kill on the heartworms. She would not have survived the treatment. So two years. In those two years, she fattened up; got used to the cats; and went everywhere we went. TN, PA, NY. Casey was our constant companion, and how that girl loved to travel.

No matter how good you are, you cannot sum up 8 years of unconditional love in a few sentences, so I won't try. I'll just say that Casey was a one-off, and I am so grateful that we were the ones who benefitted from her love.

She went to sleep in the back seat of my truck with her head in my hand. I loved that girl. And she paid us back many times over with her love, her loyalty, and her antics. What a gift she was.

We'll scatter her ashes in the back yard, where she loved to run, romp, and catch Frisbees and tennis balls. In lieu of a proper memorial, I thought this a good place to share what a special girl she was. Fact is, they're all special. For the most part, we give our pets time we can spare, food we can spare, and love we can spare.

We sure did love you, Casey. We miss you. Thanks for the lesson on what love really looks like.

I liked you already.
Now I have a great deal of love and respect for you.
I wish peace upon you and your family

What a sweet tribute to Casey and the life that she shared with you. Its never easy to let them go, but like you did in your post, you remember the time you had with them. Sorry for your loss of Casey.

Last edited:
cat-pill-jpg.85903

This may sound crazy to some, but I'm gonna share it. I won't go into full detail, but those from the zone know what's going on with my wife's health. Today while waiting on the kids to get home so we could go see her at the hospital, I had a breakdown. I literally laid in the floor sobbing/praying, like couldn't help it. My little cocoa came over to me, and at some point I noticed she was crying, like how a dog whimpers. It may sound crazy, but it's like she knew I was hurting, and it hurt her too. Dogs are just good people, ain't no other way to say it.

This may sound crazy to some, but I'm gonna share it. I won't go into full detail, but those from the zone know what's going on with my wife's health. Today while waiting on the kids to get home so we could go see her at the hospital, I had a breakdown. I literally laid in the floor sobbing/praying, like couldn't help it. My little cocoa came over to me, and at some point I noticed she was crying, like how a dog whimpers. It may sound crazy, but it's like she knew I was hurting, and it hurt her too. Dogs are just good people, ain't no other way to say it.
Amazing how a dog can sense grief, joy, pain etc. Your sharing this moment is a testament to the love in your family. Praying for comfort for all & healing for your wife.

I'll be sending good mojo for your wife. We really don't deserve dogs sometimes. They're always there when you need them.

They know. It's amazing. Still keeping your family in our prayers.

That is exactly right, they have emotions and they know our emotions I believe, and I also believe that they know a lot more than we think that they do and they may be aware of things that
we are not even aware of.

VN Store

Back