Does Pruitt’s grammar matter at all to you?

It’s actually an easy fix.
He just needs a refresher course on subject/verb agreement.
“Do, did, done” is his biggest problem.
I do want this team to practice better.
I did think we practiced better.
We have done a lot better practicing this week.
* I’ve told people like my Dad who went from a blue collar job to a white collar one and struggled with a few grammar issues to just remember a trick.
Never use the word “done” unless you “have” to.
E.g. always put have in front of done or just say did instead.
That will be $100.
I do want this team to win. I dont care if they sound like a bunch of nerds.

We know what coach is saying. Tell the football players to use grammar that we know what in the heck they are talkin' about.

If he turns this program around and wins, I don't care if he does pressers in pterodactyl or pig latin.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
K, I try not to judge people based off how they talk, but you do you.
I aint ever been real concerned about proper grammer. Grew up poor as dirt, first college grad in my family, retired as top enlisted rank in the USMC, clise to a 6 figure job now. I do pretty well, but maybe im stupid I dont know.
Ive learned in life through my experience that the worst people to be around are those that constantly demand you use proper grammer in their presence, but thats just me.

Intimidated much?

No. In fact, I think he comes off as authentic.
I actually feel the exact opposite. I don’t see how someone who presumably graduated college and was a teacher could speak so poorly. I think he could be doing it purposely to seem more “country”. As a teacher it’s like nails on a chalkboard for me when people speak incorrectly. However, I DO NOT correct people unless it’s in a school setting or my personal children. I do think that’s rude and being a grammar Nazi.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
I actually feel the exact opposite. I don’t see how someone who presumably graduated college and was a teacher could speak so poorly. I think he could be doing it purposely to seem more “country”. As a teacher it’s like nails on a chalkboard for me when people speak incorrectly. However, I DO NOT correct people unless it’s in a school setting or my personal children. I do think that’s rude and being a grammar Nazi.
I don't know the man but I doubt that is the case. You may not like Pruitt, but he does impress me as being genuine - the polar opposite of Butch Jones. I don't think Pruitt gives much thought to doing anything just for "show".

Reactions: CAVPUT
I don't know the man but I doubt that is the case. You may not like Pruitt, but he does impress me as being genuine - the polar opposite of Butch Jones. I don't think Pruitt gives much thought to doing anything just for "show".

Oh I like him fine, definitely nothing against him (maybe win a few more games 😉). It just seems unusual to me. Most educators I’m around (including the coaches at my school) speak correctly for the most part. We can all have a slip up now and then, but it’s more of an all the time thing for him. I was thinking along the lines of celebrities, country music singers and such. Sometimes some of them seem to purposely “pour on the country”. But I could be totally wrong- just a thought!

Reactions: allvol123
Yea, the pro-ignorant stance is certainly the correct side of an argument to be on.

"Them smart people, I hat'em. I'll show'wm, watch how dumb I is."

You got good schooling. You can communite well. Good for you. Give you a sucker.

Communication is for conveying ideas. It shouldn't matter how you do it, as long as you are understood. Personally, I think it makes the grammar nazi look small, not the one they are attacking.

Lot's of people use creativity with their communication. If they are being understood, more power to them.

“They done” “we was”

It’s lazy English, but can be corrected with ease.

Have you ever spent time in Alabama....outside B'ham? Especially around Ft. Payne, AL.....That's the way they talk, that's the way their parents grew up talking.

It amazes me how people come down on traditional Southern dialect. Yet, we hear dialect from foreign countries, AOC, and her Pac, but noone seems to have a problem with that.
If you don't like the way Pruitt talks stick your F'n fingers in your ears or don't listen at all. :mad:

My feeling is that it matters more at 0-2 than 2-0.
I will say, as someone with family members who were teachers, that it does bother me.
To claim to be an institution of higher learning, you’d think we could get him an English tutor.
But being honest, if he upsets Florida and gets us to a bowl game, I won’t care how he “done” it.

His bad grammar naw I couldn't care less.......................

Have you ever spent time in Alabama....outside B'ham? Especially around Ft. Payne, AL.....That's the way they talk, that's the way their parents grew up talking.

It amazes me how people come down on traditional Southern dialect. Yet, we hear dialect from foreign countries, AOC, and her Pac, but noone seems to have a problem with that.
If you don't like the way Pruitt talks stick your F'n fingers in your ears or don't listen at all. :mad:

Yeah, I just think it is ignorant of people to correct writing on a message board. "English" that is taught in school is simply an agreed upon form of English. Actual true English is what is being used in real life. Those are often two different things. So really, what is taught in school is simply a best attempt at the average of all dialects, but does not exist in the wild, except by those who do not know any better. Just my opinion, of course.

Yeah, I just think it is ignorant of people to correct writing on a message board. "English" that is taught in school is simply an agreed upon form of English. Actual true English is what is being used in real life. Those are often two different things. So really, what is taught in school is simply a best attempt at the average of all dialects, but does not exist in the wild, except by those who do not know any better. Just my opinion, of course.

The University of Tennessee is an academic institution and the head coach of our football team is one of our most high profile ambassadors. Honestly I find it embarrassing for us. Winning cures everything but compare him to Rick Barnes and how outsiders will perceive our school after interacting with one or the other.

Reactions: UTwick and VolStrom
Well, he’s a football coach. I couldn’t care less what the man sounds like and while I normally don’t do this kind of thing, this thread is dumb!!
GBO!!

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
I will say, as someone with family members who were teachers, that it does bother me.
To claim to be an institution of higher learning, you’d think we could get him an English tutor.
But being honest, if he upsets Florida and gets us to a bowl game, I won’t care how he “done” it.

It’s bothered me since the day he took over. Simply put...name a single elite coach that goes amour and talks like an inbred/3rd grade drop out. There aren’t any. Saban, Dabo, urban, Lincoln Riley

You got good schooling. You can communite well. Good for you. Give you a sucker.

Communication is for conveying ideas. It shouldn't matter how you do it, as long as you are understood. Personally, I think it makes the grammar nazi look small, not the one they are attacking.

Lot's of people use creativity with their communication. If they are being understood, more power to them.

Again, the low bar stance.

He has a degree and we're not asking him to do calculus 3. To expect a grown man to speak better than a 7 year old is not the equivalent of grammar police.

The part in the bold is asinine.

Reactions: LeannaVol

The people that you cited probably speak more than one language, so I can excuse an accent. As far as traditional Southern dialect ...please!
There is a difference between an accent and the poor use of English. Oh well, some people like it when the bar is lowered as it makes it easier for them to shine.

Reactions: SDV
All the problems that Tennessee football has and your worried about how Pruitt talks. No wander people make fun of the Tennessee fan base.

Reactions: volfannbama

VN Store

Back