Does he smoke one in Knoxville?

I dislike Dooley far less than any of the other 2 that came after him. My main issues with Dooley were his recruiting pitches (worst I have ever seen) and his over/micro-managing that building. If he would have spent half the time he spent looking at those blueprints and making changes and making people redo everything, and spent that on recruiting better...he would have been far better off. Plus, the Sunseri hire is what doomed him ultimately. As a football coach, he does have redeeming qualities. He has an above avg offensive mind. He will definitely be more beneficial to Saban than Lyle was for sure. I won't have a reaction either way if he lights one up. Hopefully, we stop them altogether from doing that, though.

I will admit I from the getgo I thought he was a reach with tough risk/reward potential. I had some hope that growing up around an SEC program would give him a leg up, that he might get some game genes from the Dad's side of the family, and some grit from his Mom. Simply did not work out. So like you he does not get the hate from me that our other failures do.

Reactions: volinSmyrna
I will admit I from the getgo I thought he was a reach with tough risk/reward potential. I had some hope that growing up around an SEC program would give him a leg up, that he might get some game genes from the Dad's side of the family, and some grit from his Mom. Simply did not work out. So like you he does not get the hate from me that our other failures do.

Respect your opinion, Guntersvol.

I come from another angle. I've had to bust my ass for every opportunity Ive had in life. My last name didnt bring me crap so I have a slight resentment towards those who benefit greatly from their last name. Both Jones and Pruitt, for all their faults, they started at the bottom (especially horn-blower Jones) and had to work their way up. Dooley was born on 3rd base and his arrogrant personality makes him believe he hit a triple. Then after two seasons here, with a life few in coaching could ever achieve, he wanted paid out but Hart wouldnt pay him. So he went thru the motions a year, got paid handsomely for a job he only got because of his last name. I guess I despise all 3 evenly but for different reasons.

Respect your opinion, Guntersvol.

I come from another angle. I've had to bust my ass for every opportunity Ive had in life. My last name didnt bring me crap so I have a slight resentment towards those who benefit greatly from their last name. Both Jones and Pruitt, for all their faults, they started at the bottom (especially horn-blower Jones) and had to work their way up. Dooley was born on 3rd base and his arrogrant personality makes him believe he hit a triple. Then after two seasons here, with a life few in coaching could ever achieve, he wanted paid out but Hart wouldnt pay him. So he went thru the motions a year, got paid handsomely for a job he only got because of his last name. I guess I despise all 3 evenly but for different reasons.

I guess I have attributed his failure to ineptitude. maybe with some self expectation of success due to his legacy, but not in the same way our other legacy guy Kiffin did, nor Butch overplaying the cutesy hype card from following his boss around, nor Pruitt who I assume as of now thought he could walk up to the line and get away with it due to his multiple stops at successful programs. He and Kiffin both had a double load of arrogance that I cannot deal with. But that is just my observations from afar. This could be due to growing up in a house with a highly respected and honored individual in his field. There can be some pressures there too. I have wondered how the wheels spun for Dooley when his path did not seem to be following his Dad's. On the other hand I can give them all a mini break since they did not put themselves in the jobs they failed in when integrity is not involved. Kiffin created an unexpected and unplanned hire, as did Pruitt's issues. Hoping our recovery from the second far exceeds the first. So far so good but I am a few years away from getting cocky.

Agree. My hate with that hire lies with Hamilton. I will go to my grave thinking that he should have named Kippy the Interim HC for 2010 and gone through an actual complete search. Nobody was taking that job with that timing so close to signing day etc. At that point, we hadn't been driven into a ditch and, I believe, could have attracted a much better option in the 2011 cycle.

Reactions: davethevol
Agree. My hate with that hire lies with Hamilton. I will go to my grave thinking that he should have named Kippy the Interim HC for 2010 and gone through an actual complete search. Nobody was taking that job with that timing so close to signing day etc. At that point, we hadn't been driven into a ditch and, I believe, could have attracted a much better option in the 2011 cycle.

I guess there is some risk with doing the interim thing, but like I think I shared already, CPF maybe could have/should have signed Steele out of his final group of 3. Could he have sold the interim deal instead of full blown?? We know how the Pruitt thing worked out and Tucker has already Kiffined Colorado and is sticking it to MSU. The market had been blown by our dipstick AD. Was there anybody in retrospect that seems like a missed no-brainer in the market at that time? My memory banks really are at a loss.

Reactions: volinSmyrna
I guess there is some risk with doing the interim thing, but like I think I shared already, CPF maybe could have/should have signed Steele out of his final group of 3. Could he have sold the interim deal instead of full blown?? We know how the Pruitt thing worked out and Tucker has already Kiffined Colorado and is sticking it to MSU. The market had been blown by our dipstick AD. Was there anybody in retrospect that seems like a missed no-brainer in the market at that time? My memory banks really are at a loss.

Steele might end up being a great HC ( he’s like 65 so he better hurry) but Tennessee is in a better place now. It took going thru an idiot for 3 yrs but we got there.

Steele might end up being a great HC ( he’s like 65 so he better hurry) but Tennessee is in a better place now. It took going thru an idiot for 3 yrs but we got there.

Not proposing him as THE solution at any time, but maybe an interim back then instead of Pruitt. If he hit a homerun then deal with it. He obviously had the time to invest and less risk here than elsewhere.

My only problem with Butch doing it was that they were mostly his players playing for Tennessee when he did it.

Dooley has no players on the Tennessee team so I don't really care what he does when the opportunity might present itself for a cigar.
This!!!

With Orange Britches becoming Bama's senior offensive annalist, will he get his photo made with a victory cigar?
I think his momma raised him with more class than Hornblower.
Time will tell.
I think there is a big difference between Jones then and Dooley now. Jones had recruited and developed the players that cigar mocked. Dooley is a ball coach with no ties to Tennessee except the fact that UT fired him. No ties to the players. Why would it lack class to smoke a celebratory cigar over UT?

But again... the timing of Butch's smarmy grin was a shot in his own foot. He was celebrating the failure of the players he recruited and developed. It was odd, small and self-defeating.

Maybe , I mean as far as I’m concerned he can eat one as well but that’s neither here nor there .

Actually, that's "sucked". We used to suck. We don't anymore. Our Quarterback is a Heisman contender. WGWTFA.
Yeah I’m very optimistic with Huepel but it seems like I’m always waiting on the next big article to come out about another huge Tennessee setback. Baseball is fun tho!

With Orange Britches becoming Bama's senior offensive annalist *analist*, will he get his photo made with a victory cigar?
Time will tell.

Fixed it.

With Orange Britches becoming Bama's senior offensive annalist, will he get his photo made with a victory cigar?
Time will tell.

First of all spell it right. Dooley is a analist.

Secondly, if he does? So what? Way I see it? Sooner or later, Saban's coaching rehab program is gonna backfire. Instead of making a bad coach better, the bad coach is gonna be a brain drain for Bama, and lead to their fall. Dooley is a perfect candidate to make that happen.

So many of y’all got that slaty ex syndrome. Who cares what he does. He’s not our coach anymore. Let him smoke that victory stog that he knows he didn’t earn. Who cares?

So many of y’all got that slaty ex syndrome. Who cares what he does. He’s not our coach anymore. Let him smoke that victory stog that he knows he didn’t earn. Who cares?
I was gonna say, “Are you new here?”
You’re obviously not. You know better than that.;)

Reactions: AllThingsTN

VN Store

Back