Does Coach Cutt prefer mobile QB ?

Mr. Rockytop

Just a question here, does anyone know if Coach Cutt prefer mobile QB over a dropback passer? After all it was a mobile QB that lead us to a national championship at Tennessee. This is not a thread that chooses mobile over dropback, just inquiries to what Coach Cutt prefers. Now I know he had Eli at Ole Miss and that is a special case, so having Eli don't count. However he did bring in Michael Spurlock as the successor, so I am wondering what will future UT QB's look like.

He'll go with whoever gives the team the best chance to win. But instead of that cop-out, I'll say that he probably looks at passing ability before mobility.

He most definitely prefers a mobile QB, not necessarily a Schaeffer type though. BJ Coleman is plenty mobile enough for our offense.

The majority of top QB recruits want to play in a pro style offense so they can take the next step to the NFL.

Everyone would like a mobile QB to avoid sacks, but in order to recruit, your better off selling a pro style offense then an offense with a mobile QB.

You can have mobile QBs running a pro style offense. Mobile doesn't exactly mean an athlete at QB. It just means that the QB can scramble and elude pressure by using his legs.

You can have mobile QBs running a pro style offense. Mobile doesn't exactly mean an athlete at QB. It just means that the QB can scramble and elude pressure by using his legs.
I agree with that... but by your definition Eli and Peyton are mobile too. Jared Lorenzen, not so much, but he was so hard to bring down... anyway. I think we pretty much mean the same thing. That is STILL a pocket passer, not a guy that is trying to run up the field.

Is there anybody that when given the choice would choose NOT to have a mobile QB? There's a difference between mobility and running ability.

Is there anybody that when given the choice would choose NOT to have a mobile QB? There's a difference between mobility and running ability.

Depends what you mean by mobile. If you look at the mobile quarterbacks in the NFL, they have a shelf-life of maybe 4 years. After that, they're so busted up that they're useless (see Dante Culpepper the past two years).

I prefer a dropback quarterback who has the ability and pocket-presense to avoid a sack, maybe pick up five yards. These guys who just take off all the time annoy me.

The only reason Daunte Culpepper was any good in the first place is because he could just huck it deep, and Randy Moss was so much faster than everybody else, he'd break it off most the time. I can think of few bigger difference makers at their peak than Randy Moss in his prime at Minnesota.

That said... Mobile QB's don't necesarily have a shelf life. What gives a QB a short career is an offensive line that sucks and forces him to run or take hits all the time.

VN Store

Back