Dodged a bullet (Gundy)

GetEmVols

Man.. I remember being excited about almost hiring Gundy. Amazing how desperate I was at one time.

The jury is still out on Pruitt, but he was clearly a better choice than Gundy. Thanks Oklahoma St!

Reactions: chuckb1448
It sounded like Ok St lost its starting QB to an ankle injury after he threw his second pass today, had to pull the 2nd string QB because of how much he struggled against Tulsa (8 for 13 for 41 yards), and the 3rd string QB is a true freshman and clearly wasn't much too better.

I don't believe Gundy would ever have come to Knoxville. Ok St is his alma mater and quite likely also his dream job.

He used Tennessee twice to milk raises so that his dream job could also have dream pay.

You don't always get a proper return on your investment. Look at the Vols with Butch.

Gundy is kind of a hard guy to evaluate. One one hand I think he's done a great job considering they aren't a historical power and their biggest rival is an in-state blue blood program. On the other hand it seems like he's made a lot of hay out of just 2 great seasons (2010 and 2011), and there's quite a bit of mediocrity that gets overlooked.

You sometimes get the impression that Gundy is thought of by some as a top coach; maybe that's because he's been good at drawing attention to himself (the mullet, the "I'm a man, I'm 40!" rant, etc.). If he was a top coach though, I think he'd be better than 2-13 against Oklahoma.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back