Doctors of VN

Not a doc, just work in the field, so take this for what it's worth: it's not a death sentence by any means! He's probably exhausted from fighting the infection, being dehydrated, and trying to breathe over the burden of two infected lungs.

Many times a vent is used just to give the body a break, ensuring that the patient has enough oxygen in his/her blood to keep all organs working well, and the patient comes back off once he/she gets stronger.

I hope they get the antibiotics worked out so that he can start recovering soon.

-- I wouldn't have replied and would have let "one of the docs" do so first, but you sounded understandably scared, and I am hoping this might help a bit until you hear more from the pros. Thoughts and prayers for him, your wife and you, and all the family.

Being placed on the ventilator is not a death sentence. It is hopefully a temporary intervention to help him oxygenate until the pneumonia can be treated and begin to clear. That being said just the fact that he required intubation and ventilatory support indicates that he is very ill and given his Diabetes and obesity makes it even more dangerous. Prayer along with appropriate medical treatment can go a long way to help him heal. Hope and pray that things improve over the next couple of days.

Thanks to both of you for your insight and prayers.

Reactions: VolNExile
Update on the BIL, this AM. His lungs have shown a little improvement since being placed on the respirator. When placed on a respirator, evidently they sedate you pretty significantly. Mrs. InVOLuntary traveled to him yesterday and because of the sedation hasn't been able to communicate with him. The concern now is his kidney function. He's had significantly less urine output compared to the fluids that they've given him. They've started him on a diuretic in an attempt to get his kidneys working. Your continued prayers are appreciated.

Hi guys,

What I thought was an ulcer last spring (diagnosed via blood test - h-pylori was 3.5 times expected range - so maybe not an ulcer but just h-pylori infection), turned out to be gallbladder trouble. After the mega antibiotics to get the h-pylori under control, severe abdominal pain stopped. Then in October, it came back. My NP (who I love) did bloodwork to see what was going on. When results came back, my pancreas enzymes were through the roof and she sent me immediately for an abdominal ultrasound. Turned out to be gallstones and she said if I have any more attacks go straight to ER.

The next morning (Bama game day), I had another attack. I went straight to ER and had a 10mm stone blocking common bile duct. They kept me until Monday when they removed the stone from the duct and removed gallbladder the next day. Surgeon said it had over 50 stones in it.

My question is, can stress lead to gallstones? I know it can create an environment in which h-pylori can thrive. I've asked the google, and don't see stress as a factor on credible sites (Harvard, WebMD, Mayo Clinic) but did see it listed on one of those health-nut type sites (source quoted was a by a DC - no offense to DC's at all, but the source was hardly a medical journal.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

GBO!

My brother-in-law caught the flu last week. He lives alone and called some family and it was apparent he was delirious so they went and checked on him. He was in very bad shape and they took him to the doctor. They put him in icu and determined he had double pneumonia. He was extremely dehydrated and through an IV got him fluids. He seemed to be getting slightly better until thus morning when he wasn't able to keep his O2 level above 87. They've decided to place him on a ventilator. He's not that old, about 58. He's never been a smoker but he is overweight and He's a type 2 diabetic. He's not responded to the antibiotics.

My wife lost another brother, who was 62, suddenly, about two weeks ago so she's an emotional mess. My question for you docs, is being placed on a ventilator a death sentence? What are his chances?
Just saw this, praying for him and your wife.

Am I crazy or should I go to the doctor?

The last few years, I have been having head/balance/vision issues. I pass out from time to time and more often have extreme balance issues (to the point where I cannot set in a chair or even attempt to stand up). A week before Memorial Day, I got sick at work and had to spend the night in the hospital for some testing, but nothing came of it. Now, however, I am struggling worse than ever. I have trouble remembering how to get home from work, adjusting to bright light and cannot stand to be around anything noisy. Driving is also a task when it comes to starting and stopping. When starting and stopping, I get extremely nauseous and dizzy and a few seconds worth of deep head pain.

I know the older you get, the more forgetful you are, but I am not even 28 years old.

not a Dr but it could be vertigo -- friend of mine has it pretty bad - or worse maybe a brain tumor -- go to a Dr and get an MRI

The last few years, I have been having head/balance/vision issues. I pass out from time to time and more often have extreme balance issues (to the point where I cannot set in a chair or even attempt to stand up). A week before Memorial Day, I got sick at work and had to spend the night in the hospital for some testing, but nothing came of it. Now, however, I am struggling worse than ever. I have trouble remembering how to get home from work, adjusting to bright light and cannot stand to be around anything noisy. Driving is also a task when it comes to starting and stopping. When starting and stopping, I get extremely nauseous and dizzy and a few seconds worth of deep head pain.

I know the older you get, the more forgetful you are, but I am not even 28 years old.

I would absolutely see a doctor.

Any CBD recommendations for joint pain? 90 year old relative that gets knee injections about 4x a year. CVS and Walgreen's only stock topicals. Nat'l Rx has drops.

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
Ive tried this on my knee and it really worked -- would not recommend a cheap alternative and there are alot of them around Ananda Hemp Salve 125mg - Preckshot Professional Pharmacy

Probably not going to start with the topicals. Ananda is what Nat'l Rx sells. The Ananda website has 600mg drops for $90 and 300mg for $60. I guess that's the potency rather than quantity. The doctor said to get it from a reputable source. I don't know about all these little shops that have popped up... often next door to vape shops.

Probably not going to start with the topicals. Ananda is what Nat'l Rx sells. The Ananda website has 600mg drops for $90 and 300mg for $60. I guess that's the potency rather than quantity. The doctor said to get it from a reputable source. I don't know about all these little shops that have popped up... often next door to vape shops.
Yeah would not trust a gas station or video store selling that stuff, I wouldnt even trust CVS or Walgreens they are all about selling and money - trust the Dr on this

Yeah would not trust a gas station or video store selling that stuff, I wouldnt even trust CVS or Walgreens they are all about selling and money - trust the Dr on this

The Doc suggests a pharmacy, but CVS and Walgreen's only carry topicals. Probably going to try Nat'l Rx next week for the oil.

A friend of her's spends $300/month, but says it's effective. Too bad insurance doesn't pony up... Big Pharma doesn't approve.

Reactions: 508mikey
Any CBD recommendations for joint pain? 90 year old relative that gets knee injections about 4x a year. CVS and Walgreen's only stock topicals. Nat'l Rx has drops.
Before my BIL passed away he was using CBD and he swore it worked wonders on his wrist pain and neuropathy in his hands. I don’t know the name but he said it was around $45/bottle land lasted about a month.

Is thread still alive? Saw a more recently posted thread called Volnation Medicos.

Just checking...

@VolsDoc81TX if I remember you’re an ortho. What are your biggest recommendations for someone suffering from a shoulder impingement with a small labrum tear as well? Can’t bench press, or do a whole lot of chest exercises currently. Heck I even get a pop when I do a push-up. I have done a few band exercises and foam roller work. But I would like an ortho opinion.

@VolsDoc81TX if I remember you’re an ortho. What are your biggest recommendations for someone suffering from a shoulder impingement with a small labrum tear as well? Can’t bench press, or do a whole lot of chest exercises currently. Heck I even get a pop when I do a push-up. I have done a few band exercises and foam roller work. But I would like an ortho opinion.
I'll chime in: if it's limiting your desired function, get it fixed. I can give local recommendations, if needed.

Reactions: BAJAvol
I'll chime in: if it's limiting your desired function, get it fixed. I can give local recommendations, if needed.
Got blown off after an X-ray and a 3 minute ortho consult at Tennessee orthopedic. Said it was instability and to see a PT. A DPT diagnosed it as impingement and said I’m testing positive for a small labrum tear. This was right as corona hit, so they gave me a handful of at home exercises. I’m really fine unless I’m in the gym. I’ve even attempted chiropractic care. I need to probably get into PT, but it just seems like none of these exercises gave me improvement.

Got blown off after an X-ray and a 3 minute ortho consult at Tennessee orthopedic. Said it was instability and to see a PT. A DPT diagnosed it as impingement and said I’m testing positive for a small labrum tear. This was right as corona hit, so they gave me a handful of at home exercises. I’m really fine unless I’m in the gym. I’ve even attempted chiropractic care. I need to probably get into PT, but it just seems like none of these exercises gave me improvement.
Not an ortho but PT here. This is going to be hard to give you an answer without actually assessing but will say that typically you can’t go wrong with some scapular work in a situation like this (I’s, T’s, Y’s usually a good starting point).

I’m assuming no MRI so I wouldn’t get too worked up on being told about a “small labral tear”. No way to truly know this unless you are dislocating, but that would likely not be a “small tear”, rather a large one. I would assume you are having some posterior shoulder pain if told this? Either way these “special tests” are not very good at identifying the issue.

Need to get an MRI. If you’ve failed conservative therapy then even more reason to get an MRI and possibly have your shoulder scoped. Small tears can be debrided. Larger tears may need repaired. This also depends on your age, tear location, and if/how much your biceps is involved.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
Completely forgot to respond to this. Starting PT Tuesday. I really hope this helps because the last thing I want to do is have surgery. I really miss being able to bench, and do some of the shoulder exercises I used to enjoy. I really wish I had better insurance. I am on a high deductible plan. PT is $80 a visit. Who knows what an MRI would be. That 3 minute ortho "consult" cost me nearly $400. If I go back, I will certainly ask @kiddiedoc for a recommendation. I struggle the most with internal rotation. The o'briens test is pretty painful.

You okay? Sounds scary

Hey you all I asked a question in the zone and they told me to ask you all so here I am going to paste.
A little inside info he his 76 and has been a diabetic since he was tested in Vietnam when he was 21. His kidneys are bad the count is 17 and the doctor said there is blockages to his heart he thinks it's more than one if this is fixed it could fix his blood pressure and also his kidneys. Since his count on his kidneys was low that the dye would put him on dialysis is there something that can see his blockages and not hurt his kidneys? This is what I posted to people I know.

Question does anyone know if they can use something other than dye to check for blockages because I know and knew people allergic to it what do they do?
The doctor told my dad when he saw his nuclear he said "holy crap and it's his left side his heart count was 33 and he was going to be honest and say it is more than one he can do 2 stints but more blocks "and he will have to replace them. Take veins from his legs and put them in his chest to work his heart.

Last edited:
Reactions: malinoisvol

VN Store

Back