Doctors of VN

InVOLuntary

Not a doc, just work in the field, so take this for what it's worth: it's not a death sentence by any means! He's probably exhausted from fighting the infection, being dehydrated, and trying to breathe over the burden of two infected lungs.

Many times a vent is used just to give the body a break, ensuring that the patient has enough oxygen in his/her blood to keep all organs working well, and the patient comes back off once he/she gets stronger.

I hope they get the antibiotics worked out so that he can start recovering soon.

-- I wouldn't have replied and would have let "one of the docs" do so first, but you sounded understandably scared, and I am hoping this might help a bit until you hear more from the pros. Thoughts and prayers for him, your wife and you, and all the family.
Being placed on the ventilator is not a death sentence. It is hopefully a temporary intervention to help him oxygenate until the pneumonia can be treated and begin to clear. That being said just the fact that he required intubation and ventilatory support indicates that he is very ill and given his Diabetes and obesity makes it even more dangerous. Prayer along with appropriate medical treatment can go a long way to help him heal. Hope and pray that things improve over the next couple of days.

Thanks to both of you for your insight and prayers.

InVOLuntary

Update on the BIL, this AM. His lungs have shown a little improvement since being placed on the respirator. When placed on a respirator, evidently they sedate you pretty significantly. Mrs. InVOLuntary traveled to him yesterday and because of the sedation hasn't been able to communicate with him. The concern now is his kidney function. He's had significantly less urine output compared to the fluids that they've given him. They've started him on a diuretic in an attempt to get his kidneys working. Your continued prayers are appreciated.

VolMax

Hi guys,

What I thought was an ulcer last spring (diagnosed via blood test - h-pylori was 3.5 times expected range - so maybe not an ulcer but just h-pylori infection), turned out to be gallbladder trouble. After the mega antibiotics to get the h-pylori under control, severe abdominal pain stopped. Then in October, it came back. My NP (who I love) did bloodwork to see what was going on. When results came back, my pancreas enzymes were through the roof and she sent me immediately for an abdominal ultrasound. Turned out to be gallstones and she said if I have any more attacks go straight to ER.

The next morning (Bama game day), I had another attack. I went straight to ER and had a 10mm stone blocking common bile duct. They kept me until Monday when they removed the stone from the duct and removed gallbladder the next day. Surgeon said it had over 50 stones in it.

My question is, can stress lead to gallstones? I know it can create an environment in which h-pylori can thrive. I've asked the google, and don't see stress as a factor on credible sites (Harvard, WebMD, Mayo Clinic) but did see it listed on one of those health-nut type sites (source quoted was a by a DC - no offense to DC's at all, but the source was hardly a medical journal.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

GBO!

joevol33

trampoline king
My brother-in-law caught the flu last week. He lives alone and called some family and it was apparent he was delirious so they went and checked on him. He was in very bad shape and they took him to the doctor. They put him in icu and determined he had double pneumonia. He was extremely dehydrated and through an IV got him fluids. He seemed to be getting slightly better until thus morning when he wasn't able to keep his O2 level above 87. They've decided to place him on a ventilator. He's not that old, about 58. He's never been a smoker but he is overweight and He's a type 2 diabetic. He's not responded to the antibiotics.

My wife lost another brother, who was 62, suddenly, about two weeks ago so she's an emotional mess. My question for you docs, is being placed on a ventilator a death sentence? What are his chances?
Just saw this, praying for him and your wife.

VN Store

Sponsors