Doctors of VN

Not sure I like the closure. May be fine for simple straight laceration but I always liked to evert the edges for cosmetic reasons.

It wouldn't work for all applications but I could see it being handy in the field or great for an emergency kit. The biggest question is how long does the adhesive really last?

What's the story on this bug that's going around. I thought that I was having a big time allergy attack, but I'm pretty sure it's a head cold. How long is it typically lasting (without getting an anti-biotic prescription).

What's the story on this bug that's going around. I thought that I was having a big time allergy attack, but I'm pretty sure it's a head cold. How long is it typically lasting (without getting an anti-biotic prescription).
If you aren't running high fever and having body aches aka flu like illness then it is probably just a cold. Antibiotics are not needed and the illness generally last 7-10 days. Treat symptoms just to make more comfortable and drink lots of (non-alcoholic) fluids. Flu last about same length of time but you feel like death warmed over.

If you aren't running high fever and having body aches aka flu like illness then it is probably just a cold. Antibiotics are not needed and the illness generally last 7-10 days. Treat symptoms just to make more comfortable and drink lots of (non-alcoholic) fluids. Flu last about same length of time but you feel like death warmed over.

Thanks. Quite certain it's a cold... very little if any temp. Minor aches and chills, but nothing close to what I've been through before with the flu.

I don't want to pass it to my parents. I shouldn't be contagious 4 days into it should I ?

Thanks. Quite certain it's a cold... very little if any temp. Minor aches and chills, but nothing close to what I've been through before with the flu.

I don't want to pass it to my parents. I shouldn't be contagious 4 days into it should I ?
You almost certainly will still be contagious then. There isn't an easy way to tell exactly when you stop shedding virus, but a good rule of thumb is: if you have any symptoms of illness, you can pass it on.

I'm a big fan of nasal saline irrigation (neti pot, etc), and I personally use plain guaifenesin (Mucinex 12 h, for example) and Afrin twice a day for a few days. That regimen makes it slightly easier to talk to people all day.

You almost certainly will still be contagious then. There isn't an easy way to tell exactly when you stop shedding virus, but a good rule of thumb is: if you have any symptoms of illness, you can pass it on.

I'm a big fan of nasal saline irrigation (neti pot, etc), and I personally use plain guaifenesin (Mucinex 12 h, for example) and Afrin twice a day for a few days. That regimen makes it slightly easier to talk to people all day.

Thanks. Much appreciated. I'll probably postpone my usual Sunday visits with the parents.

You might just have a head cold, but I do know that bronchitis has been floating around here. I was diagnosed with it tail end of November into December and a couple people in the office have just had it. I went to a minute clinic after the week mark since I was just in so much discomfort when trying to sleep and they gave me meds for that but also suggested Mucinex as well.

Does anyone else get major headaches from mucinex

If you're talking about the -D variety, that's very common as the pseudoephedrine (translation: "fake speed") wears off.

Plain guaifenesin scarcely ever causes any significant side effects in normal dosages.

If you're talking about the -D variety, that's very common as the pseudoephedrine (translation: "fake speed") wears off.

Plain guaifenesin scarcely ever causes any significant side effects in normal dosages.
Thanks, I"ll check the bottle to see what type we have.

Ive had walking pneumonia twice. You never really run a fever with it, at least I didn't. You may want to get checked. They have to do a blood test to check for the bacteria. It usually presents as a cold that you can't shake.

Ive had walking pneumonia twice. You never really run a fever with it, at least I didn't. You may want to get checked. They have to do a blood test to check for the bacteria. It usually presents as a cold that you can't shake.

Thanks. It seems to have been a head cold. Very little lung issues (minimal coughing). It was very much like an allergy attack (sinus issues, headache, sore throat) but had very minor body ache and slight chills. Was sneezing my head off and depleting the supply of Kleenex early on. It's much, much better in day 6 or so.

I had heard callers to local talk radio mentioning the funk that was going around.

My brother-in-law caught the flu last week. He lives alone and called some family and it was apparent he was delirious so they went and checked on him. He was in very bad shape and they took him to the doctor. They put him in icu and determined he had double pneumonia. He was extremely dehydrated and through an IV got him fluids. He seemed to be getting slightly better until thus morning when he wasn't able to keep his O2 level above 87. They've decided to place him on a ventilator. He's not that old, about 58. He's never been a smoker but he is overweight and He's a type 2 diabetic. He's not responded to the antibiotics.

My wife lost another brother, who was 62, suddenly, about two weeks ago so she's an emotional mess. My question for you docs, is being placed on a ventilator a death sentence? What are his chances?

Sorry to hear this brother. God bless your wife and family. I lost my little brother to suicide, dad to cancer, and pappaw to pneumonia...all within the last year. She needs you terribly.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Sorry to hear this brother. God bless your wife and family. I lost my little brother to suicide, dad to cancer, and pappaw to pneumonia...all within the last year. She needs you terribly.
Thanks, Marcus. She's my world so I'll support her any way she needs. Man, you've been put through some hell this past year, can't imagine. Prayers your way.

My brother-in-law caught the flu last week. He lives alone and called some family and it was apparent he was delirious so they went and checked on him. He was in very bad shape and they took him to the doctor. They put him in icu and determined he had double pneumonia. He was extremely dehydrated and through an IV got him fluids. He seemed to be getting slightly better until thus morning when he wasn't able to keep his O2 level above 87. They've decided to place him on a ventilator. He's not that old, about 58. He's never been a smoker but he is overweight and He's a type 2 diabetic. He's not responded to the antibiotics.

My wife lost another brother, who was 62, suddenly, about two weeks ago so she's an emotional mess. My question for you docs, is being placed on a ventilator a death sentence? What are his chances?
Not a doc, just work in the field, so take this for what it's worth: it's not a death sentence by any means! He's probably exhausted from fighting the infection, being dehydrated, and trying to breathe over the burden of two infected lungs.

Many times a vent is used just to give the body a break, ensuring that the patient has enough oxygen in his/her blood to keep all organs working well, and the patient comes back off once he/she gets stronger.

I hope they get the antibiotics worked out so that he can start recovering soon.

-- I wouldn't have replied and would have let "one of the docs" do so first, but you sounded understandably scared, and I am hoping this might help a bit until you hear more from the pros. Thoughts and prayers for him, your wife and you, and all the family.

Being placed on the ventilator is not a death sentence. It is hopefully a temporary intervention to help him oxygenate until the pneumonia can be treated and begin to clear. That being said just the fact that he required intubation and ventilatory support indicates that he is very ill and given his Diabetes and obesity makes it even more dangerous. Prayer along with appropriate medical treatment can go a long way to help him heal. Hope and pray that things improve over the next couple of days.

VN Store

Back