Dobbs vs Hooker

UTblood4life

Master of Shower Etiquette
I barely start threads, I've seen alot of posts about Dobbs and Hooker
Dobbs was a freak of nature running bad coach
Hooker has accuracy, and a good runner in this system
Now time d4h chime in lol

Reactions: UT Hill Man
I heard Skasper & D4H were thumbing rides across the Country together...

Dobbs might be the slightly, slightly better runner and slightly better at evading pressure when the pocket breaks down. Not by much.

Hooker is the far superior passer.

Hooker has been great but Dobbs is a noticeably better runner. He ran for 32 Tds at UT. Constantly made defenders miss, Hooker doesn't have that ability.

Hooker has been great but Dobbs is a noticeably better runner. He ran for 32 Tds at UT. Constantly made defenders miss, Hooker doesn't have that ability.
Hooker has a pretty good open field juke once he gets going (similar to Small) and has made multiple defenders miss. Both Dobbs and Hooker run like deer. I think Dobbs was only slightly quicker, and slightly better at escaping the pocket than Hooker.

Yes. Dobbs is 5th in wins here, 5th in passing yards, and the all time QB rushing leader. Hooker won't put up those career numbers obviously, but he's playing as well as any quarterback I've seen here, this season. In 7.5 games he has about 2300 total yards, 25 total tds, only 2 ints in 186 attempts and he's doing it vs SEC competition, even on the road, while having walk-ons starting on the OL and his pass protecting RB out with an injury.

Kinda like comparing apples and oranges in terms of length of time at UT, difference in coaches, difference in O lines, receivers, and backs. I'm thankful Dobbs chose UT and I am thankful Herndon chose UT. I'm good with Herndon besting all of Dobbs records and playing a lot better in terms of turnovers and sacks.

Yes. Dobbs is 5th in wins here, 5th in passing yards, and the all time QB rushing leader. Hooker won't put up those career numbers obviously, but he's playing as well as any quarterback I've seen here, this season. In 7.5 games he has about 2300 total yards, 25 total tds, only 2 ints in 186 attempts and he's doing it vs SEC competition, even on the road, while having walk-ons starting on the OL and his pass protecting RB out with an injury.
I've seen a lot of QBs myself but I don't know I could say Hooker is playing as well as the best Vol QBs. Different eras. It's silly to compare stats. With the Dobbs' stat, you must remember he was playing more games than guys like Bobby Scott, Condredge Holloway, Heath Shuler and Andy Kelly, all of whom I would consider better than Dobbs and Hooker. Never mind Manning, Robinson and Clausen. That being said, I think they are both really good QBs

Reactions: beamerman
If you had Dobbs with Hookers passing ability Tennessee is staring 8-1 in the face.

And the boards over all feeling about Georgia is 100% better.

Hooker is a better passer but it must be said that he is also playing in a better offensive system and the coaching he gets is far superior. Hooker is a capable runner but Dobbs was electric. He didn't look like he was running fast but he would outrun people. He didn't look like he made a great juke but the tackler would miss him by 3 yards. I believe this thread is underselling his running ability.

Hooker is a good quarterback because of coaching and system, Dobbs was a good quarterback despite the coaching and system. How many times did Dobbs put the team on his shoulders and win games for us? Hooker plays within a great system as part of the system. The games Dobbs won, frankly, he did it on his own.

It would be nice to see HH come back next year so we have a larger sample size to compare both QBs. Dobbs won bigger games during his career and had some teams that should have won the SECE if Butch was a better coach. If HH returns I believe he will win some big games.

I've seen a lot of QBs myself but I don't know I could say Hooker is playing as well as the best Vol QBs. Different eras. It's silly to compare stats. With the Dobbs' stat, you must remember he was playing more games than guys like Bobby Scott, Condredge Holloway, Heath Shuler and Andy Kelly, all of whom I would consider better than Dobbs and Hooker. Never mind Manning, Robinson and Clausen. That being said, I think they are both really good QBs

Holloway had 36 career starts, Dobbs 35. In 13 games in 1997 Peyton set the school record for total yards in a season, at 3789, Dobbs, in 13 games in 2016 had 3781 total yards. Dobbs is a great QB.

Hooker's efficiency is off the charts. He is playing spectacularly each week, especially considering he has the least talent of any QB you talked about, around him. In 30 career games Hooker has a 41 to 9 td to INT ratio. He's a great QB here this year. Him being great doesn't diminish the past greats that have played here.

The mark of almost all great quarterbacks is how well do they pass the ball. Hooker is a waaayyy better passer than Dobbs ever was. Passing issues are the primary reason that Dobbs is stuck as a 3rd string NFL QB. Hooker has the potential to be an NFL starter. He is currently projected to be the #8 QB in the draft.

Holloway had 36 career starts, Dobbs 35. In 13 games in 1997 Peyton set the school record for total yards in a season, at 3789, Dobbs, in 13 games in 2016 had 3781 total yards. Dobbs is a great QB.

Hooker's efficiency is off the charts. He is playing spectacularly each week, especially considering he has the least talent of any QB you talked about, around him. In 30 career games Hooker has a 41 to 9 td to INT ratio. He's a great QB here this year. Him being great doesn't diminish the past greats that have played here.
Ok. I said both were very good. I'm less inclined to anoint players as being great. We'll agree to disagree on the label

The mark of almost all great quarterbacks is how well do they pass the ball. Hooker is a waaayyy better passer than Dobbs ever was. Passing issues are the primary reason that Dobbs is stuck as a 3rd string NFL QB. Hooker has the potential to be an NFL starter. He is currently projected to be the #8 QB in the draft.
Hooker has a better chance than Dobbs of being a solid backup. It's a weak QB class this year. I doubt he's ever a starter in the NFL. He doesn't have the pocket presence and I'm not sure that is something that can be taught

The only reason Dobbs was up there in total yards was because of his running. He only threw for 2946 yards. He added 831 on the ground. Peyton had -30 rushing yards. Not really fair to compare the two.

Reactions: The_Big_Orange

VN Store

Back