Dobbs vs Hooker

Volteacher

Dobbs thru 6 games as a starter…….. 1206 yards 9-6 TD/INT 63% 130 QBR
Rushing 469 8 TDS
Hooker thru 6 games total…………….. 1296 yards 14-1 TD/INT 68% 179 QBR
Rushing 390. 4TDS

just putting this out there, sorry if someone already has a thread on this.
Dobbs was a true sophomore and had a couple of years in the system (freshman he did not start)

Hooker is a senior but it is the first year in CJH system.

I think Hooker has a high ceiling (IF HEALTHY!!!) and next year with spring practice and fall practice for the 2022 season I feel good no matter what the record is this year most likely (6-6)

Rushing 469 8 TDS
Rushing 390. 4TDS

Dobbs was a true sophomore and had a couple of years in the system (freshman he did not start)

I think Hooker has a high ceiling (IF HEALTHY!!!) and next year with spring practice and fall practice for the 2022 season I feel good no matter what the record is this year most likely (6-6)

Can you give a little clarity on this time frame? Was it after Dobbs took over as starter in the Bama game in 2014? He actually did start a few games as a freshman, are you counting those?

I am not knocking what you are saying, but I would think Hookers first 6 starts at VT would be a more comparable stat. Factoring in who they played is important too. I do think Hooker is special and if he returns next year, he is going to do amazing things.

Reactions: Vol49er
Rushing 469 8 TDS
Rushing 390. 4TDS

I think people have underestimated and undervalued Hooker from the start. Only judging what we have seen and what he has done for us - really no comparison to Milton - and Hooker's stats place him firmly among the top 10 in the country. We have gone from watching arguably some of the
worst quarterback play in the country to among the best. He matched up well against a heisman trophy candidate last week - we are just very fortunate to have him and he has played better than expected.

Hope he can survive against Bama - think we have a legitimate chance against Ky in a couple of weeks.

Dobbs was a more electric runner than hooker and could really make people miss. But in the passing game Hooker seems to be more consistent and making better decisions. Last week vs Ole miss was first time he has been off on the deep ball a couple times.

Rushing 469 8 TDS
Rushing 390. 4TDS

I think Hooker has a high ceiling (IF HEALTHY!!!) and next year with spring practice and fall practice for the 2022 season I feel good no matter what the record is this year most likely (6-6)[/QUOTE

Actually, I am pretty sure that Dobbs started some games as a freshman - and he was horrible! He didn’t look really great until he was a junior.

Great analysis.
mmhmm-chips.gif

Rushing 469 8 TDS
Rushing 390. 4TDS

But the thing is Hooker has started before coming to UT. Dobbs on the other hand had less experience as a starter by time he got his chance. I like what Hooker brings to the table, but don’t act like hooker has only played in 6 games when that isn’t a fact.

Reactions: GordonC
But the thing is Hooker has started before coming to UT. Dobbs on the other hand had less experience as a starter by time he got his chance. I like what Hooker brings to the table, but don’t act like hooker has only played in 6 games when that isn’t a fact.
It is all subjective. If we are applying variables then we need to acknowledge that Dobbs had far superior personnel at the RB and WR positions.

Reactions: Volatility
Dobbs was a better runner and better at extending plays when getting pressure. If Hooker can learn to get out of the pocket when it is closing and make some plays then he could be dangerous

Reactions: preacherwebb
Rushing 469 8 TDS
Rushing 390. 4TDS

Hookers stats are inflated a bit due to high number of screens and level of competition. Probably has more reps in also. Dobbs would have really thrived in this offense

Reactions: feathersax
Purely passing, I'll take Hooker. They look similar to me when running. Don't look very fast but can pickup a lot of yardage. Dobbs had an amazing ability to be slippery and get out of tackles. He also had that "it" factor. He almost single-handedly willed us to victory several times. He saved Butch's ass so many times.

Purely passing, I'll take Hooker. They look similar to me when running. Don't look very fast but can pickup a lot of yardage. Dobbs had an amazing ability to be slippery and get out of tackles. He also had that "it" factor. He almost single-handedly willed us to victory several times. He saved Butch's ass so many times.

The Game at South Carolina was pretty much all Dobbs. One of the best games I've ever seen from a QB
301 yards passing
166 yards rushing

Reactions: MEDVOL
Dobbs didn't have a quality of OC and coach that Hooker has. Don't remember who he had on the O-line but my guess is this one has better. Not knocking Hooker at all but, not sure the numbers can be compared.

I think Hooker can have a very good career at UT if he comes back next yr but I also think you raise a great point that Heupel's system is far superior to what Dobbs played in in regards to a QB's numbers. Nothing wrong with that but it just is what it is. For what it's worth, neither guy is an NFL talent.

I agree that’s why I said Dobbs was a true sophomore and had not started til, 5en whereas Hooker has been playing football for Three years. Im not saying Hooker is better or going to win the heisman next year, just an FYI of how good Hooker is with a mashup OL that has 2nd stringers playing.

Dobbs was a playmaker that kept defenses on their toes.

Hooker might be a slightly better passer at this point but as far as production goes, Dobbs still holds the title.

Allow me to go on a mini rant

31-34 passing 340 Yards 2TD 0 INT

13 rushes for 53 yards

These were the numbers Dobbs put up his Senior year against Vandy.
WE LOST BY 11 POINTS.

Kamara/Kelly combined for 100+ and 2 TDs

Josh Malone & Jennings combined for 200+ yards.

Not sure how Butch Jones gets out of the bed and ties his shoes on a daily basis.

VN Store

Back