Dobbs commenting on officiating

Gandalf

The Orange/White Wizard
in Vols Elite 8 Basketball game

1711999481641.png
I KNEW that boy was smart! he is like a rocket scientist or something! :p

But besides the fact that NCAA refs absolutely worshiped the ogre of Purdue, it got me to thinking.

WHY THE HELL CANT WE HAVE DECENT, PROFESSIONAL, REPLICABLE OFFICIATING IN BIG MONEY COLLEGE SPORTS?

its not like there isnt enough money in it, yet we end up with crap officials, every god blessed time , who must be Bubba John's inbred 3rd cuzin and has never had a lick of training.

When you have officiating that would likely deviate >20% every game, depending upon the crew, that means you have amateurs who shouldnt be there. People should be confident that one crew would call a game almost exactly the same as another crew. If not, then that is a competitive advantage for one side or another and this whole gag order bs means nothing. Programs should AGRESIVELY focus on getting the refs to their side.

Its like elections - there HAS to be faith in the impartiality of the process itself or there is no point in following the rules.

Officials should have certificiations - that they can lose if there are enough complaints and they are substantiated. Its not enough to simply be impartial, you actually have to be CAPABLE! And the process should be transparent.

If there is ANY remaining reason for the NCAA's existence, it SHOULD be to educate, certify and discipline money sport refs. This should be a process that is not completely outside of the football programs but so that no one program can dominate. But there HAS to be someone to hold these refs feet to the fire for utter malfeasance and mendacity.

View attachment 631371

But besides the fact that NCAA refs absolutely worshiped the ogre of Purdue, it got me to thinking.

WHY THE HELL CANT WE HAVE DECENT, PROFESSIONAL, REPLICABLE OFFICIATING IN BIG MONEY COLLEGE SPORTS?

its not like there isnt enough money in it, yet we end up with crap officials, every god blessed time , who must be Bubba John's inbred 3rd cuzin and has never had a lick of training.

When you have officiating that would likely deviate >20% every game, depending upon the crew, that means you have amateurs who shouldnt be there. People should be confident that one crew would call a game almost exactly the same as another crew. If not, then that is a competitive advantage for one side or another and this whole gag order bs means nothing. Programs should AGRESIVELY focus on getting the refs to their side.

Its like elections - there HAS to be faith in the impartiality of the process itself or there is no point in following the rules.

Officials should have certificiations - that they can lose if there are enough complaints and they are substantiated. Its not enough to simply be impartial, you actually have to be CAPABLE! And the process should be transparent.

If there is ANY remaining reason for the NCAA's existence, it SHOULD be to educate, certify and discipline money sport refs. This should be a process that is not completely outside of the football programs but so that no one program can dominate. But there HAS to be someone to hold these refs feet to the fire for utter malfeasance and mendacity.
Money talks. Purdue-Uconn is what they want.

I think what gets me the most with Edey the most outside of fouls is the camping down low long enough to eat a meal. I realize now that the 3 second rule has gone the way of the dodo bird which has created this kind of game for 1 dimensional big men. Shaq would have averaged 50ppg if they did away with 3 seconds while he was at LSU.

My beef is not with the incompetence of officials in general, which is something we are all too accustomed to in the SEC. It's the admission by officials and the NCAA that a game with Edey has to be called differently, some garbage about a "gray area" with a player his size and the amount of contact there will be. And the fact that the games are indeed called differently.

That is the biggest bunch of bullschiit I can ever remember hearing justifying officials calling whatever the hell they want. That you can have a game of this magnitude result in one f***king foul on this monster while he shoots 22 (!) free throws and has Purdue in the bonus with 16 minutes left in the game is nothing short of staggering, and in a just world would be investigated.

But the machine rolls on, as they got their desired title game almost a certainty at this point. And at the end of the day, that's all that really matters, right?

Edey to play the whole game and only have one foul is crazy. I guess the NCAA got rid of the three second rule. Because he set up camp in the paint.
He’s been fouled 400 times but only committed 70 something fouls.

I think what gets me the most with Edey the most outside of fouls is the camping down low long enough to eat a meal. I realize now that the 3 second rule has gone the way of the dodo bird which has created this kind of game for 1 dimensional big men. Shaq would have averaged 50ppg if they did away with 3 seconds while he was at LSU.
THIS is the bigger issue than the fouling. It allows him to play a completely different game.

View attachment 631371

The only way to remove the human element is to do away with it. The technology is there, but it would be painful at first when the bots would be blowing whistles on every possession until the players learned what the new rules are. There would be consistency but at a price. Start with baseball, it has a much more constrained action than basketball and football. They don’t need it for hockey where anything goes.

Just so we all know:

Section 9. Three Seconds in the Lane
Art. 1. The three-second lane is the area in the front court that is bounded by and includes the end line, the free-throw lane lines and the free-throw line, and includes such lines.
Art. 2. It is a violation for a player to have any part of his body remain in the three-second lane for more than three consecutive seconds while the ball is in control of that player’s team in his frontcourt.
a) The three-second violation rule is not in effect when a team is in control of the ball for a throw-in.
Art. 3. The three-second count is suspended when a player who, having been in the three-second lane for less than three seconds, dribbles or moves in immediately to try for field goal. The player shall not pass the ball instead of trying for goal. In this case, it is a violation when a player exceeds three seconds in the lane and there is no try for goal.

Where is Theodore Roosevelt when we really need him? .... Never mind.

THAT Chits Crazy!!! WTH Officials???
It's really hard not to think the refs/mob/NCAA/Networks etc., had money riding on that game. If you look at how many fouls he's drawn vs how many he has committed this season, it becomes even more ludicrous and without explanation. Hopefully every team he plays has complained and created a paper trail.

Reactions: Element01

VN Store

Back