Do you Run?……Walk?….Bike?…..Swim?

We used to super glue game tokens to the floor near the front door when the Putt-Putt owners were away. Watching that would ease the pain of cleaning the hotdog machine and the ladies' restroom.
I did that in high school with quarters haha. Years ago we would tailgate in the hospital parking garage and would put a $5 on fishing line and would go fishing for people. It was pretty funny. Gator fans were the worst sports about it.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
A few years back, I was parked in a lot from which my motley crew of old farts cycled a loop ride. At the conclusion of our ride, the wind was picking up as we racked our bikes for the trip home. A $5 bill blew up onto the grill of my car, and my sister-in-law threw her shoulder into me so that she could pluck it off before anyone else.

I only swam 1000 yards today. I was really tired this morning after my weight-lifting session yesterday.

I am changing up my exercise routine. I have decided to start lifting weights and bulk up a bit. After losing 75 pounds over the last 2 years, I am ready to gain some muscle. So this week, I am trying to find my caloric maintenance. That might take two or three weeks, but once I am confident in knowing my maintenance, I will add 300 calories per day, hoping to gain 0.5 pounds a week of almost all muscle. After being in a caloric deficit for 2 years, I am excited to try something different. I have never attempted a bulk (on purpose...lol) before. It will be an interesting journey.

I started lifting weights, and now I swim much less. Here was my weight-lifting workout today:

Barbell Squats
Dumbbell bench press
Seated Rows on a cable machine
Dumbbell bicep curls
Tricep extensions on a cable machine
Abs - various exercises

I do 3 sets of 8-12 reps, resting for about 2-3 minutes between each set. I try to lift enough weight to where I reach "failure" at about 12 reps. If I could do more than 12 reps, I increase the weight on the next set. However, I don't try to reach failure on squats. That just seems too dangerous to me. I always do warm-up squats with only the bar, then add a bit of weight, then do my target weight for 3 sets. I stop doing the reps when I feel like I could maybe do one or two more on squats. I don't want to end up on the ground with the bar around my neck.

I'll lift again in 72 hours. Next time, I'll do this:
Barbell squats
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Lat Pulldown on cable machine
Calf extension on leg press machine
Deadlifts
Abs

On the deadlift, I go extra heavy and only do 1 set of 5-8 reps. But I do a couple of warm-up sets with lighter weight, similar to how I do squats.

I'll continue to walk every day, trying to get in my 10-12k steps. I might go back to swimming once or twice a week, but I don't want to overdo it. Swimming will be relaxing, stretching out, light cardio as long as I'm lifting.

If any experienced weight lifter has any advice for me, I would appreciate it. I am a newbie, and I really like to learn about it.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
When I started lifting, I used this 5x5 program which I think is an excellent beginner-to-moderate level program for anyone:

StrongLifts 5×5 Workout Program: The Definitive Guide | StrongLifts

Your routine above sounds ambitious to me for a newbie, but if it works, go for it! :cool:

I looked into the 5x5 program. I thought it was too advanced for me. I didn’t like the idea of starting out so heavy. I prefer the slightly lighter weights, more reps, and work on perfect form.

Why does my routine seem ambitious?

Cycling activity yesterday. First one in a month. I very much felt it. My brisk walk/slow runs don't tax my cardio nearly as much as that does.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Got a Peleton a few months ago, really only got it to hold me over during the winter when I can’t ride outside. I ride quite a bit but half the time we ride to our favorite brewery so not sure how much good it does but it’s fun either way.

VN Store

Back