Do you Run?……Walk?….Bike?…..Swim?

1.6 in 14:15. Felt really good after so next week I will push for faster.

Cold and wet day slowed me down a bit. Making sure I had good footing.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Though I used to be a runner -- once did 10.0 miles -- and was a rec soccer player as an adult, all of that was a few surgeries ago, for foot, ankle and knee.

Now I can still do a neighborhood walk, 1.4 mi. in 35 min. I want to bicycle more, but may need to get a meniscus clean-up. Hell getting old. 😁
My (late) mother-in-law used to say, "Getting old isn't for chickens!"

Swam 2400 yards again today.

I decreased my intervals again. I took my 100 yard swims from 1 min. 45 sec. intervals to 1:40. I did the same with my 100 yard kick intervals. Here’s the full workout I did:

Warm up:
100 yard freestyle swim, easy
100 choice medium pace
100 breaststroke kick
100 IM drill

Main set:
3x100 free on 1:40 interval (averaged 1:17 time, with 23 seconds rest after each 100)
6x50 choice on 1:00 interval (averaged 43 seconds, with 17 seconds rest after each 50)
8x25 free w/ fins (increase underwater dolphin kicks off the wall for each 25, sprint the dolphin kicks, then easy swim the rest of the way) on :30 interval
8x25 choice swim on :40 interval

Kick set:
4x100 kick w/ fins on 1:40 interval
-alt. By 100s: use a kickboard & kick on stomach, then no kickboard, just streamline position and kick on your back

Pull set:
5x50 free pull w/ paddles on 1:00 interval
3x50 backstroke pull w/ paddles on 1:05

Cool Down:
200 choice swim, easy

@KoachKrab127 How long did it take for you to do that workout with all the different sets? If I remember correctly it would take me like 40 min to swim 2,000 yards without many breaks. But I haven't kept up with swimming in about 2-3 years

@KoachKrab127 How long did it take for you to do that workout with all the different sets? If I remember correctly it would take me like 40 min to swim 2,000 yards without many breaks. But I haven't kept up with swimming in about 2-3 years

To do that workout, it takes me about 50 minutes. I don’t take long breaks between the sets, usually only about 30 seconds to a minute. After I finish the main set, I put on my fins immediately, then just wait until the clock’s second hand reaches the 60. Same for the pull set.

Of course, that 50 minutes doesn’t include driving to the pool, changing clothes afterwards, taking a shower, driving home, etc. Yeah, swimming takes up a lot of time, but it’s the best kind of workout I can do.

Swam 2600 yards today. Cut intervals a little bit more. Did the 50s on :55 instead of 1:00 and did the 75s on 1:15 instead of 1:20.

Reactions: bigeasy
Yeah, swimming takes up a lot of time, but it’s the best kind of workout I can do.
nice workout and yes I agree it does take lots of time. That is one reason I had to stop. The nearest pool for me is about a 15 min drive. I used to be able to swim during lunch break when I was closer and just get a quick 1,000-1,500 yds in. Miss those days.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
nice workout and yes I agree it does take lots of time. That is one reason I had to stop. The nearest pool for me is about a 15 min drive. I used to be able to swim during lunch break when I was closer and just get a quick 1,000-1,500 yds in. Miss those days.

The pool I go to is about 5 minutes further away from my daughter’s school. So after I drop her off in the morning, it’s not that inconvenient to head on over there two or three times a week.

Reactions: bigeasy
The pool I go to is about 5 minutes further away from my daughter’s school. So after I drop her off in the morning, it’s not that inconvenient to head on over there two or three times a week.

Swam about 35 minutes this morning. (On vacation)
Various sets of 100 and 50.
I’m in terrible swim shape. Barely capable of 50 butterfly.

Reactions: KoachKrab127
Swam about 35 minutes this morning. (On vacation)
Various sets of 100 and 50.
I’m in terrible swim shape. Barely capable of 50 butterfly.
Don’t feel bad. I never do 50 butterfly. Butterfly is only 25’s for me. lol
My girls swim, currently on an overnight meet for regional championship. I'm in pretty good shape, workout a lot, and feel good. Very good cardio, and pretty strong for a little guy. I took them to the pool a year or two ago, and decided I was going to show them how good of shape I was in. I learned that day that swimming is a different beast. I did one lap, and was convinced I was going to see Jesus 🤣

My girls swim, currently on an overnight meet for regional championship. I'm in pretty good shape, workout a lot, and feel good. Very good cardio, and pretty strong for a little guy. I took them to the pool a year or two ago, and decided I was going to show them how good of shape I was in. I learned that day that swimming is a different beast. I did one lap, and was convinced I was going to see Jesus 🤣

I was in really bad shape when I first started swimming again at the beginning of 2021. I’m a good swimmer, but I could barely do one lap without getting really winded back then. I was doing about 1800 yards when I started, and that took me about an hour, so lots of rest between each lap. Now I can easily do 3000 in an hour, but since my back injury early in 2022, I have been holding back a bit on my workouts so I don’t reinjure myself. I’ve been averaging about 2500 yards per swimming session, and that takes me about 45-50 minutes to do.

Swimming workout today:

Warm-up:
100 freestyle easy
100 choice medium pace
100 breaststroke kick
100 IM drill medium pace

Main set:
2x100 free on 1:40 interval
4x50 choice on 1:00
2x100 free on 1:40
4x50 choice on 1:00
16x25 IM order on :40
(Heart rate at 130 at conclusion of main set).

Kick set:
4x100 kick w/ fins on 1:40

Pull set:
5x50 free w/ paddles on 1:00
3x50 backstroke w/ paddles on 1:05

Cool down:
200 easy choice swim

Total: 2600 yards, 55 minutes

If I do this main set again, the 2nd time through the 100’s and 50’s, I would decrease the interval by 5 seconds. I’ll probably do a similar set on Thursday and decrease the interval the 2nd time through to see how it goes.

I hate doing 100’s though. Anything over 75’s and I get bored. So next time, I’ll probably do something like 4x75’s on 1:15 then 4x50’s on a minute, then repeat by doing the 75’s on 1:10 and the 50’s on :55. That’ll be a challenge, but I should be able to do it.

Ran about 3 miles in about 36 minutes. Car is in the shop, so my commute was different.

Marta station is about 2.2 miles from my apartment. And then the other Marta station is about 1.6 from my office.

I ran most of the 2.2, walked in a couple places just because of the rain and the footing. Then had about a 15 minute break on the train, then planned to run a little over a mile of the 1.6, got started and rolled my ankle a bit. So I walked about .25 mile before running the rest.

Right now I feel pretty good. We will see how the day progresses. Felt like good practice for my Spartan run. Wet, muddy, and carrying about 10lbs of stuff.

Ran about 3 miles in about 36 minutes. Car is in the shop, so my commute was different.

Marta station is about 2.2 miles from my apartment. And then the other Marta station is about 1.6 from my office.

I ran most of the 2.2, walked in a couple places just because of the rain and the footing. Then had about a 15 minute break on the train, then planned to run a little over a mile of the 1.6, got started and rolled my ankle a bit. So I walked about .25 mile before running the rest.

Right now I feel pretty good. We will see how the day progresses. Felt like good practice for my Spartan run. Wet, muddy, and carrying about 10lbs of stuff.
Live near the east line? What neighborhood?

VN Store

Back