Do you Run?……Walk?….Bike?…..Swim?

So I got out fastish trying to work towards my new goal then absolutely died in the hills. Was basically crawling the last hill climb. B325198C-6D42-444F-98F6-A9E078D4086E.jpeg

Reactions: KoachKrab127
I swam the most yards in a long time this morning: 3400

Warm-up: 400 yards

Main set (2000 yards total):
200 freestyle on 3:00
4x75 backstroke on 1:30
(Rest for 1 minute, then repeat all, for a total of 4 times through)

Pull: 300 free
100 backstroke

Kick: 400 w/ fins, alt. on stomach & back by 100’s

Cool down: 200 easy

The 200s were great for building my endurance. I was sucking wind after numbers 2, 3, and 4. On the last one, I took it easier on my legs until the last 50, and I was able to go about 5 seconds faster. On the first 200, I went 2:43. Then 2:41, 2:41, and finally 2:36.

I’d like to do this set again in about a month, and hopefully I could get those times under 2:30. However, I’m currently swimming only 3 times per week. Last year at this time, I was swimming 5 times per week, so I had better endurance then. But since I’ve injured my back in early 2022, the doctor wants me to have at least 1 day of rest between each of my workouts at this moment. I can’t complain about that, because the rest days are definitely helping my back feel better.

I feel fine now, but I hope I won’t regret swimming this much yardage tomorrow. My legs were cramping up a bit during the kick with fins, and my back was a little bit tight. I’ll need to do some foam rolling tonight.

Jog twice a week. Depending on weather and knees it's from 3 to 4 miles each run. Pace is usually 9ish min/mile I wish I could run more but knees are just too bad

Reactions: LouderVol
Do you mix it up any? Or just run 5ish miles a lot?
I do yoga 2 times a week. Try to get 5 3 times a week.
Hike with the dogs once a week 2-3 miles.
I’m a creature of habit, I usually just do the same things if they appear to be working

Jog twice a week. Depending on weather and knees it's from 3 to 4 miles each run. Pace is usually 9ish min/mile I wish I could run more but knees are just too bad
I went to a clinic where they taught me to run like an old man. That and good shoes (that they recommended) made all the difference

lol I am only 51 but I would gladly run like an old man if it meant less painful runs! How exactly does that work??
I was walking at 51 with constant knee pain.
I had an orthopedic surgeon recommend this clinic they we’re having so I went. They watched me run the changed my stride, my posture….. even where I was looking when I ran to help my posture. The best way I can describe it is a shuffle. I don’t pick up my feet very high and take shorter strides. They also measured my feet in every way possible and told me to buy Hoka’s for running. I hated them at first because they’re very squishy…..but they hold up and now I won’t run without them. Knees are almost completely pain free.

I do yoga 2 times a week. Try to get 5 3 times a week.
Hike with the dogs once a week 2-3 miles.
I’m a creature of habit, I usually just do the same things if they appear to be working
Try mixing in a day where you do 30/60s or 60/120s. Sprint for 30 seconds, light jog for 60 seconds. Try to get 12 iterations. It really helps with speed

Reactions: Orangeslice13
I was planning on swimming about 3200 today, but I only got up to 2800. My injured back started feeling tight after 2500, so I went ahead and started my cool down after that. It was a good swim, though. I’m not upset about not reaching 3200. I don’t have a goal to get faster. I have a goal to get healthy.

VN Store

Back