Do you Run?……Walk?….Bike?…..Swim?

@Nerd-Vol
Red and I were just talking about track times in the mile. Back in the 1900s when we were in high school 5:20 was a good mile time. Now 4:30 gives a high schooler a shot at placing.
Then she said “I bet nerd could do a 4 minute mile.” That got me thinking…..I know you can run all day but how fast are you for 1 mile?

Reactions: Nerd-Vol
Can anyone recommend a device that keeps up with distance, waymarks, elevation etc? Been doing a lot of hiking lately. My son and myself hiked the entire length of the Smokies on the Appalachian Trail a couple of weeks ago. Such device would’ve been nice to have instead of depending on maps that I can hardly see lol.

@Nerd-Vol
Red and I were just talking about track times in the mile. Back in the 1900s when we were in high school 5:20 was a good mile time. Now 4:30 gives a high schooler a shot at placing.
Then she said “I bet nerd could do a 4 minute mile.” That got me thinking…..I know you can run all day but how fast are you for 1 mile?

Absolutely not. Ask me in late June, there’s a mile race that month. If I could manage a 6:45 mile, I would be delighted.

I can’t run fast, so I run long.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Absolutely not. Ask me in late June, there’s a mile race that month. If I could manage a 6:45 mile, I would be delighted.

I can’t run fast, so I run long.
Yup. Me too.
Which is funny because I was a world class sprinter in swimming in another life

Can anyone recommend a device that keeps up with distance, waymarks, elevation etc? Been doing a lot of hiking lately. My son and myself hiked the entire length of the Smokies on the Appalachian Trail a couple of weeks ago. Such device would’ve been nice to have instead of depending on maps that I can hardly see lol.
I use the alltrails app when hiking but I don't think that's what you're looking for on those longer hikes. Its great for day hikes though.

Yup. Me too.
Which is funny because I was a world class sprinter in swimming in another life

Envious that you had glory days! The last 7 years or so have been the most athletic of my existence.

I wasn’t very athletic as a youngster and hated running. It’s no surprise though. I think about how team sports deals with running. Always a punishment, stuff like gassers, suicides etc. I get it as that sort of anaerobic exercise is important in most sports.

To this day though, I hate that gassed or winded feeling. Probably why I’ve fallen in love with distances longer than 10k. Brings more strategy and race management into play.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Went on my last long run today. 12 miles. 7 easy(10:30 pace)and 5 at marathon pace (8:55). I didn’t feel terrible, but I definitely didn’t feel like 26.2 miles at 8:55 was possible. I kept looking at my watch, thinking “how am I only going 9:20!?”

Hopefully it won’t be a problem on raceday. I’m always shocked with how much faster I can go in a race.

IMG_2029.jpeg
IMG_2026.jpeg

Good to see you guys rockin and rollin! Been running no more than 1.5 miles, as I'm trying to gain. Got the mile time hovering right at 5 flat on the treadmill. Not sure how much I want to push it, by 13 mph will be sustainable soon.

VN Store

Back