Do you need a lesson on our stadium's namesake?

Read the whole thing.

If you don't do twitter (you aren't cool saying that) sign up for it and read this. It's awesome. And worth it!

Every time I've ever heard anyone say anything even remotely snarky about Gen. Neyland (admittedly only a handful) I've invited them to read up on the guy and then come back and talk to me again.....

Only one person came back later and that was to apologize.

Dude was one. bad. cat.

Read the whole thing.

If you don't do twitter (you aren't cool saying that) sign up for it and read this. It's awesome. And worth it!

I don't do Twitter or Facebook so not sure what all it says. Do know that my grandfather played football for the Vols in 1921 which was the first year of Shields/Watkins Field.... Just before General Neyland when M B Banks was the coach.
Neyland Stadium was an excellent name for our Vols arena and a lasting tribute to Tennessee's greatest coach ever!

.1921 Vols wp.jpg

Last edited:
I don't do Twitter or Facebook so not sure what all it says. Do know that my grandfather played football for the Vols in 1921 which was the first year of Shields/Watkins Field.... Just before General Neyland when M B Banks was the coach.
Neyland Stadium was an excellent name for our Vols arena and a lasting tribute to Tennessee's greatest coach ever!

.View attachment 493044
How cool is that!!!

.View attachment 493044
Just wanna come back and show some more appreciation for this. So so cool!

Reactions: Mustng959
Thank you for posting! I was unaware that he designed the original stadium and about his boxing career. We owe a huge part of our relevance in the sport to this man. General Neyland; I salute you.

Reactions: vollygirl
Thanks Volly! Always loved Neyland, talk about embodying a true “VOLUNTEER” spirit. I made this about 15 years ago at his grave marker… still hangs in my office. It’s a conversation piece for sure!

Yea, okay... I'm officially jealous.

There were a few things in that thread I didn't know. Thanks for sharing volly! There really ought to be some sort of documentary about General Neyland.

I was thinking the same thing. General Neyland would be an excellent choice for a documentary. When I attended UT, our civil engineering professors taught us about General Neyland's contributions to the stadium's design.

In the days when the university printed media guides for distribution and they were these 200 page plus books, most of the traditions and history were documented for all to read. I'm afraid we're losing these history lessons these days.

Reactions: TN Jed
I was thinking the same thing. General Neyland would be an excellent choice for a documentary. When I attended UT, our civil engineering professors taught us about General Neyland's contributions to the stadium's design.

In the days when the university printed media guides for distribution and they were these 200 page plus books, most of the traditions and history were documented for all to read. I'm afraid we're losing these history lessons these days.
I'm a CE too....spent many a day in Perkins. The professors didn't mention General Neyland all that much when I was there, unfortunately. And you’re right about losing some history lessons, but threads like this bring some info to light and we can pass it on.

I'm a CE too....spent many a day in Perkins. The professors didn't mention General Neyland all that much when I was there, unfortunately. And you’re right about losing some history lessons, but threads like this bring some info to light and we can pass it on.

Not sure if it was Dr. Harry Johnson, Dr. Ed Burdette or Dr. David Goodpasture. I know Burdette told us about the karst geology under the stadium. Good times. All those guys are gone now. They certainly knew their stuff and we were fortunate to have them.

Randomly, on a trail in Costa Rica, I ran into a guy that claimed to be a relative of Gen. Neyland. He was a young guy, probably grandson or great grandson. He commented on my Tennessee Hat. It caught me total surprise and didn't really know what to say. I just told him thank-you and the general is still loved in Knoxville.

Cool Story Bro.....

ESPN needs to do a good documentary on General Neyland.

VN Store

Back