Do you consider a win over a top 15 Kentucky team to be a signature win?

kenSucky is a very good team this season and they've earned their ranking.

It's taken many years but Stoops has built a solid program for the mildkitties.

I'll be happy if we can get the WIN over them this year.

I'd consider it a very good WIN and more proof that CJH and staff have us back on the right track.

It might be considered as a signature WIN if Ky was ranked in the top 10.

VFL...GBO!!!

In the shape we ended 2020 in it would be a bigger loss for UK. All their early success just to get a first year coach wreck their 10 year building process

I don't really understand what signature wins are.

In 2016 Butch Jones beat UF & UGA back to back and was ranked #5.

A few weeks later he lost to Vandy by double digits.

In 2004 Ty Willingham got his signature win by beating the Vols at Neyland. Notre Dame fired him at the end of the season.

I don’t know what a “Signature win” is. I hear the term but seems to be a broad scale. Is a sig win for TN different than a sig win for AL, GA, or FL? How many sig wins do you get in a year (or career)?

Seems to me that a signature win is a VERY SPECIAL event. For me, beating KY would be great but not a signature win.

Simple question. My mind says yes, my heart says it’s Kentucky and it should always be a win.

Expectations wise, this is probably the worst game on the schedule for the vols. A win may be written off as “well it’s Kentucky” while a loss will fuel the fires of the doubters more so than a loss to a top 10 team like an LSU.

I would consider a "signature" win beating a top 10 team, but winning against a very good Kentucky team would be a great boost for the program.

For this year, yes. We haven’t beaten a ranked team yet so it will be important to get this win even if it is Kentucky.

UT will not beat UK unless the Vols can stop UK on 3rd down. UT will not win if the Vols can't get a 1st down on 3rd and short. If the Vols can't stop a QB draw, they will not beat UK.

If you think UK is a pushover team, you are smoking something that is still illegal in TN.

I think the Vols will win this game, but I do NOT think it will be easy. And if they don't correct the glaring issues, the Vols could let this game slip away.

Simple question. My mind says yes, my heart says it’s Kentucky and it should always be a win.

Expectations wise, this is probably the worst game on the schedule for the vols. A win may be written off as “well it’s Kentucky” while a loss will fuel the fires of the doubters more so than a loss to a top 10 team like an LSU.
Did I miss LSU making the top ten this week??
Even Cajuns are not crazy enough to fire a coach in the top ten.

Kentucky is never a "signature win" for UT. UT is always a signature win for UK. It is what it is.

UK is what, #12 now? Hey, they earned it. They're a tough team. They've taken care of business to this point.

They're also UK. Sooner or later, you arrive at your assigned level. For UK, it's maybe upper 3rd in the SEC. East.

Rest assured, if UK beats UT they'll beat their chests like Tarzan on amphetamines. But if UT wins, I for one will not look at it as "We beat the #12 team in the nation." For me, it will simply be "UT beat Kentucky. Again."

UK is overrated. Some team, this season, will bring them back to earth. Might as well be us.

Go Vols.

Kentucky is very likely going to be in the top 10 when Tennessee plays them. There are a couple losses looming for teams ahead of them.

Reactions: GreyWolf1129
So the problem with a question like this is, you've failed to define your terms.

You ask the rest of us to say yes or no, signature win or not, but you don't tell us how you define "signature win."

And news flash: there is no standard definition.

Some say a signature win is one that "propels a team to the next level" (whatever "the next level" is...see a pattern developing here? poorly defined terms defined by other poorly defined terms...it's elephants all the way down).

Others say a signature win is a victory over a significantly more highly-rated team.

It has also been said that a signature win is one that sets a high mark of a coach's tenure. NOTE: this definition can only be applied after the coach leaves the job and his body of work is complete, available for comparison.

Is Kentucky any of those things to us?

(a) no
(b) yes
(c) too soon to tell

Is that mushy enough for you? It's the price you pay for asking such an ill-defined question.

Go Vols!

Reactions: AdoptedVOL
So the problem with a question like this is, you've failed to define your terms.

You ask the rest of us to say yes or no, signature win or not, but you don't tell us how you define "signature win."

And news flash: there is no standard definition.

Some say a signature win is one that "propels a team to the next level" (whatever "the next level" is...see a pattern developing here? poorly defined terms defined by other poorly defined terms...it's elephants all the way down).

Others say a signature win is a victory over a significantly more highly-rated team.

It has also been said that a signature win is one that sets a high mark of a coach's tenure. NOTE: this definition can only be applied after the coach leaves the job and his body of work is complete, available for comparison.

Is Kentucky any of those things?

(a) no
(b) yes
(c) too soon to tell

Is that mushy enough for you? It's the price you pay for asking such an ill-defined question.

Go Vols!

This is my point stated in more quantified terms. I found the following on another board and this is honestly how I tend to view a “signature win”…

B355E149-8646-4F59-AAEB-BF9F49A13FC9.jpeg

Attachments

• D045EB43-C604-442D-9639-30B70AFDAC5F.jpeg
    D045EB43-C604-442D-9639-30B70AFDAC5F.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back