Uniform/Helmet/Shoe design thread (merged)

Ok, so this may sound a bit ridiculous, but do you think a change in uni's makes a difference - in mindset of players, excitement level, etc? I remember the black uni's Kiffin pulled out for the USCjr game on Halloween 2009 and that team was totally juiced! Also remember the smokey greys being used against FL in our last win against the gators. Saturday's all orange look was different and our guys seemed to come out with a completely different mindset and energy level.

So, do you think a change in uni's has a psychological impact on the players and how they play? If it does, I say change them out every weekend for the rest of the season a la Oregon and let's get this team to a damn bowl game!!!

No but I liked the uniforms

I don't think it hurt. And I'm of the mindset if you're going to have certain things in your uniform set, you should wear them at least once. Which is why I've always said we should have one all orange and one road game with white jerseys/orange pants a year. I don't want either to be our full time home or away uniform but at least use them.

Granted that works for teams like us with pretty simple uniforms. If we still used the smokey grey uniforms I wouldn't expect them to try to get every combo in every season.

Yes they absolutely do for SOME types of players.

Now all the bells and whistles won’t win a game for you but they can definitely help get a little something going.

I've thought it over, if the special uni helped us win-and so many believe it is the reason for the win, or part of it, then we should be contacting a voodoo priestess to find out exactly what color etc. we'll need on Saturday, in order to whip BAMA. If we don't win, it won't be because of how the teams played, it will be because of the poor choice in uniform and color combo, made by Pruitt.

Like Don Corleone, I'm a superstitious man, I'd like to see us keep rolling with the orange jerseys and orange pants at home, let's keep this thing going. Other teams have done similar things, Spurrier changed UF's primary jersey color back to blue after it had been orange for more than a decade, and the Gators started winning, and UF rarely, rarely wears orange jerseys for the past nearly 30 years. UGA went back to their silver britches before the 1980 season, after wearing white for decades before that, and they have worn them almost exclusively ever since. We desperately needed a change in mojo. I like the look.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Ok, so this may sound a bit ridiculous, but do you think a change in uni's makes a difference - in mindset of players, excitement level, etc? I remember the black uni's Kiffin pulled out for the USCjr game on Halloween 2009 and that team was totally juiced! Also remember the smokey greys being used against FL in our last win against the gators. Saturday's all orange look was different and our guys seemed to come out with a completely different mindset and energy level.

So, do you think a change in uni's has a psychological impact on the players and how they play? If it does, I say change them out every weekend for the rest of the season a la Oregon and let's get this team to a damn bowl game!!!
You are correct. It's ridiculous

Reactions: tbh and I40flyer
I agree with you. But being a fan back in the 80’s and 90’s I do not consider orange pants an alternate uniform. They are just as much tradition as the orange jerseys, especially on the road. The only reason we went back to white pants is because Fulmer did not like the orange pants which were introduced by Majors in 1977. And I suppose that is probably for his disgust of Majors. Go back and look at the road games when Cobb and Webb were running over everyone. Or when the Minister of Defense was destroying offensive linemen. Or Dale Jones intercepting Shula in Legion Field, or Johathan Jones streaking through the Alabama defense in 1983. Orange pants are more of a Tennessee tradition than black or gray uniforms will ever be in my opinion.
Need to wear them only for away games. All orange looks a little gaudy. Also, bring back the double orange stripe, especially on the orange pants, makes them look much better.

Reactions: ncvol17
I love how winning a game is based on the choice of unis. It's like a reverse pumper/ nega world.

Pumper: UT won wearing orange on orange. UT should wear that all the time!...

Naga: UT was the better team and the unis had no bearing whatsoever...

Seriously, I was glad to see the orange on orange on Sat.

I think the Smokey grays were introduced against Georgia if in not mistaken and we almost upset them in a game we had no business being in. Pig howArd fumble game I think.
But we’ve also been whipped wearing them too, so...

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I’ve been advocating for orange pants for awhile. It’s a nice change up from our throwbacks that we are wearing now . We are basically Penn State in Orange right now . Hopefully next year we can modernize the uniform while maintaining a traditional look.
Tennessee should keep the Phil Fulmer 1996-2008 uniforms

Reactions: Pacer92

Pruitt said he would do alt uniforms unless they earned them. This was a nod to that and his believe in them fired them up.

Nope,,, they are suppose to be a team. Not a pack of individuals trying to say "look at me". Do what ever the team does or find another "group" to play with. This "do as I please" crap will come soon enough with the "pay me" program coming. Don't think I will like it very much....
Why do you have a problem with paying the players?

Yes, it does make a difference to the players to wear all Orange, or anything that is rarely worn. All solid colors get players pumped, always has and always will. Does it make a difference in the game? Does it help them block better? Does it make them run faster? Probably not. Does it help having an extra little bit of swagger, little more growl in the bark, nastiness in the attitude that each player can feed off of? Yea, I’m certain it does make a difference. You can’t measure this stuff. If you haven’t experienced it and want to say “oh, well maybe we won’t wear pants next game - that’ll be different” then go ahead, write what makes you feel good... but you don’t have a clue.

The only time I've seen they made a noticeable difference is when Kiffin brought out the team in black vs the Gamecocks. The team and crowd went nuts that game.

Well USC junior comes in here close to Halloween 10/26 in fact some are doing it that night avoiding school night. Think that is a 4PM game, bring
" Back In Black"

I don't mean everybody wear what you want. I mean that it's ok if they decide as a team to do something different.

I still have a problem with the "team" making decisions. It's like you believe they are a "union" organization. That will come soon enough once they start getting paid (money) to play. Forget the fact they are getting a free ride (if they want to learn anything other than football) that over 4 years can amount to more than $200,000 in lots of schools.

Why do you have a problem with paying the players?

"Paying" makes what they are doing a job. So lets just forget the "schooling" part and the schools become managers of sports teams just like the NFL or MLB or NHL or any other sports "businesses" and their employees become "workers". I know, your comeback is "schools already are these management businesses" I understand this and dislike where college sports are going. OH WELL:(

I still have a problem with the "team" making decisions. It's like you believe they are a "union" organization. That will come soon enough once they start getting paid (money) to play. Forget the fact they are getting a free ride (if they want to learn anything other than football) that over 4 years can amount to more than $200,000 in lots of schools.
A union?? You're reading way to much into this. I just don't get why people freak out over small uniform changes. That's all. I've just always thought stuff like that is for the players; not for me.

Reactions: Behr

VN Store

Back