Do or Die time

Volunteer

Given the history of UT in the SEC tourney over the past well...let's just say the entire history of Tennessee's involvement in the tourney says they will crap out again. But, let's just say they do okay. here's a scenario:

Tennessee beats Alabama, Tennessee beats Florida, Tennessee beats Mississippi State, Loses to KY. Record, 18-12, Buzz says we have a shot now for the NCAA, don't get selected, goes to NIT, loses to another Georgetown because players feel they deserved NCAA bid.

While unlikely to get through 3 games and play in 4, I can just see it now in the papers.

Here is what I think will happen.

Tennessee loses to Alabama 74-73 on a last second tying 3 pointer by Bama to go into overtime. Buzz doesn't get his players to foul....AGAIN... , goes to NIT, loses in first round because players have quit on Buzz.

I'm tired of saying just wait until next year because this theme has played out so many years in the past.

I'm HOPING that since most of our guys are "young and inexperienced", they will still be "hungry" and at least SHOW UP tonight. Of course, that same youth and inexperience COULD work against us. This IS, after all, another road game.

Originally posted by Volunteer@Mar 11, 2004 11:47 AM
Given the history of UT in the SEC tourney over the past well...let's just say the entire history of Tennessee's involvement in the tourney says they will crap out again. But, let's just say they do okay. here's a scenario:

Tennessee beats Alabama, Tennessee beats Florida, Tennessee beats Mississippi State, Loses to KY. Record, 18-12, Buzz says we have a shot now for the NCAA, don't get selected, goes to NIT, loses to another Georgetown because players feel they deserved NCAA bid.

While unlikely to get through 3 games and play in 4, I can just see it now in the papers.

Here is what I think will happen.

Tennessee loses to Alabama 74-73 on a last second tying 3 pointer by Bama to go into overtime. Buzz doesn't get his players to foul....AGAIN... , goes to NIT, loses in first round because players have quit on Buzz.

I'm tired of saying just wait until next year because this theme has played out so many years in the past.

How about Tennessee loses by 40 and we all celebrate by taking Buzz Peterson out to dinner to tell him how sorry we are that he has such a bunch of crappy players and it will come in time since Buzz is such a nice guy. Let's give him a 10 year contract extension just to show how much we really like him as a person.

I have just recently joined the vol nation as this is my first posting so please be forgiving and bear with my pen man ship, but last night Buzz Ball went to a place that I did not think that it could go. We have not seen that poor of basketball since the days of NBA great Alan Houston's dad was pacing courtside. Like him or not, I never saw Jerry get embarrassed like Buzz's kids did last night. Maybe when a "limping" Tony Harris jolted down the bench to put his two cents worth in a fight, but at least he had some fire in tail even if he was in street close. I can't help but to ask the question, what were we thinking when we let Jerry go. At least they tried.
I am willing to take in consideration that the woes of the Georgia Dome that plague of beloved gridiron VOLS have found there way into our lack luster basketball team and give Buzz one more chance, but that's it.

Originally posted by Zam@Mar 12, 2004 9:26 AM
I have just recently joined the vol nation as this is my first posting so please be forgiving and bear with my pen man ship, but last night Buzz Ball went to a place that I did not think that it could go. We have not seen that poor of basketball since the days of NBA great Alan Houston's dad was pacing courtside. Like him or not, I never saw Jerry get embarrassed like Buzz's kids did last night. Maybe when a "limping" Tony Harris jolted down the bench to put his two cents worth in a fight, but at least he had some fire in tail even if he was in street close. I can't help but to ask the question, what were we thinking when we let Jerry go. At least they tried.
I am willing to take in consideration that the woes of the Georgia Dome that plague of beloved gridiron VOLS have found there way into our lack luster basketball team and give Buzz one more chance, but that's it.

First off Welcome to VolNation Zam. :welcome: :welcome:

As for Buzz, you are not the only one having Wade Houston flashbacks. Some aspects of this team are so similar to the Wade era it's scary.

I wasn't a huge Jerry Green fan but you are right, he did win games. Something must have really been going on over there to fire a guy with 4 NCAA births and 4 20's. Especially at a program with the history of ours in the last 25 years.

Let's just look at our tournament history by coach:

Buzz Peterson 3 seasons 0 NCAA's
Jerry Green 4 seasons 4 NCAA's >>seems weird, huh.
Kevin O'Nel 3 seasons 0 NCAA's
Wade Houston 5 seasons 0 NCAA"s
Don DeVoe 11 seasons 6 NCAA"s

Can you see the trend? If a coach didn't make the dance in his first 3 years, he didn't make it at all.

VN Store

Back