Digital tickets - buying, selling, transferring Q&A

KnoxLandcruiser

I'm hoping to start a conversation where the digitally challenged folks like me can get help from the younger generation.

Sincerely appreciate help, feedback, and shared experiences good and bad with the different ticketing platforms as I get used to not having hard copies.

I can see my tickets on the All Vols website and on the app that is hosted by ticketmaster. I can not see my tickets when I use the ticketmaster app or login to my ticketmaster account.

First question - if I list the tickets for sale on the All Vols website, would a potential buyer be able to see them and purchase through ticketmaster.com or ticketmaster app? Answer is yes

What's the consensus "best" site to buy and sell? I've used seatgeek and stub hub in the past for NFL games and a few concerts over the years but admittedly don't often buy tickets. I assume I could transfer the tickets to myself from the All Vols site and list them elsewhere, correct? Is that a bad idea?

My understanding is that all of my friends and family will need to register with All Vols in order to receive a transferred ticket. Does this mean any potential buyer, whether through All Vols or Ticketmaster or seatgeek, would also have to create an All Vols account to receive the purchased ticket? Answer is no for someone purchasing through ticketmaster

My apologies if these are dumb or obvious questions and sincere thanks for any help.

Last edited:
This is new to all of us. I recommend not using Stubhub, Seat Geek or any of those sites because the government is now charging taxes on sales on those sites. I plan to use this site and facebook as much as possible. The transfer should be easy if they have a ticketmaster account connected to an AllVols account. I think you will just have to type in their email address to send the tickets to them after they have paid.

This is new to all of us. I recommend not using Stubhub, Seat Geek or any of those sites because the government is now charging taxes on sales on those sites. I plan to use this site and facebook as much as possible. The transfer should be easy if they have a ticketmaster account connected to an AllVols account. I think you will just have to type in their email address to send the tickets to them after they have paid.
This is all accurate. Anyone is able to create an allvols ticketmaster account regardless of being a season ticket holder or not. I just sent tickets to two people yesterday and it was the easiest time I've ever had transferring tickets. You just need their first and last name and email address associated with allvols account. They will immediately populate into their account to be accepted. Screenshots will not work this year. the barcode on the digital ticket continuously changes its coding so that no-one can steal a screenshot and walk in with your ticket. Once everyone becomes familiar with this new system it will be the easiest time any of us have had transferring and selling tickets. Unless you preferred to pay someone in person or have to mail the tickets off in hopes they made it to the buyer safely. Its just a new system. With a new system always comes mass anxiety by some. Myself included had so many questions until yesterday. I fully think this is the best system we have had in place for getting tickets into the correct hands in the safest way possible.

I think I will like this system. A few years ago, I mailed 3 parking passes for 3 different games and they got lost in the mail. The buyer clawed the money back from paypal. I don't blame him for that but I was out 3 passes with no money to show for them. I have never sent any tickets by registered USPS since.

Reactions: GRRN7MAXIMS
I think I will like this system. A few years ago, I mailed 3 parking passes for 3 different games and they got lost in the mail. The buyer clawed the money back from paypal. I don't blame him for that but I was out 3 passes with no money to show for them. I have never sent any tickets by registered USPS since.
Similar experience here. Sending paper tickets from KY to all over the US is not trustworthy.

If you have any parking passes let me know. 502-275-1712. Or if you need or have tickets let me know!

Thanks,
David

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I asked my questions very well.

If someone from Ball State wants to purchase my tickets and I use the "selling" feature on the All Vols app or website...can Ball State fan see the tickets on ticketmaster? answer is YES Or does Ball State fan have to go to All Vols and ultimately create an All Vols account to purchase? NO

Last edited:

If someone from Ball State wants to purchase my tickets and I use the "selling" feature on the All Vols app or website...can Ball State fan see the tickets on ticketmaster? Or does Ball State fan have to go to All Vols and ultimately create an All Vols account to purchase?
They could see your tickets if you “sold” them
Through Ticketmaster but to avoid all the taxes, fees, etc. I would “transfer” them to your Ball state crew. This would avoid the hassle of
Posting and selling. Just my two cents but either way would work.

Reactions: KnoxLandcruiser

If someone from Ball State wants to purchase my tickets and I use the "selling" feature on the All Vols app or website...can Ball State fan see the tickets on ticketmaster? Or does Ball State fan have to go to All Vols and ultimately create an All Vols account to purchase?
List your Ball State tickets for some crazy price like $5000 on the AllVols site, sign out of your AllVols account, open Ticketmaster without signing in to any account and look for a $5000 UT/Ball State ticket. Then delete your listing on AllVols or wait it out and see if you get the 5 grand.

But I'm guessing Ball State probably isn't bringing many fans.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
@dobre_shunka Yeah I may end up being the guinea pig on this by listing them and then looking for them.

I called UT ticket office and super nice guy but didn't know the answers.

I don't expect a Ball State fan to buy the tickets. My point is that selling tickets through a portal that is only visible to current All Vol account holders seems like you're really limiting your potential customer base. I guess the only way to find out how ticketmaster "publishes" available tickets that are listed through the All Vol platform is to price them like you said.

I don't have an issue with change or going digital. Hell, I much prefer selling tickets from my kitchen when I can't go instead of trying to get them to the strip! I just want to understand the process.

Anyone and everyone, please continue to post questions or answers or experiences here as I think many of us are trying to navigate this.

@KnoxLandcruiser
There's two different but very similar ticketmaster websites...

1. Is an account manager website thru TM. If you'll notice the URL at the top, it says "am.ticketmaster.com/allvols/etc." The am in the URL stands for account manager and is your AllVols account. This is where all season ticket holders have their tickets, and where you go to purchase new season tickets, parking passes, etc.
2. Is the regular TM site (ticketmaster.com). This is where people will go to buy single game tickets and tickets that STHs list for sale. When you list your tickets thru your AllVols TM account, they'll be listed on the regular TM website. It's not limited to only be viewed and purchased by only AllVol account holders. Anyone, anywhere, and any fan can purchase.

The Tampa Bay Lightning have done this for awhile and many teams/venues are making the switch to this system as well. Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited:
@gatorhater1509

Thank you. I started the process with a high price to "test" and that's what I'm seeing. Here's what I know so far...

When you list tickets for sale you'll have to input checking account information...there was no other option from the drop down menu for how to receive payment. As a part of this process they will ding your deposit account "within 24 hours" with a small amount that you will then use to verify the account. So, plan accordingly if you need to list tix on a deadline and it's your first time. Wrong, the listing went live within about 10 minutes.

The duration of the listing was not unlimited options. In other words I could not select to end the listing tomorrow. My choices were "day of the event", "1 week prior" "2 weeks prior" "3 weeks prior". Since I don't know if I'll be able to pull the listing once it goes live, I chose 3 weeks prior. Hopefully I can pull the listing anytime before selling. I'll update after it goes live. Update, You can pull the listing or edit the listing at anytime before sold.

I listed for $100 and would theoretically receive $90 if sold. I'm not sure if that's a flat $10 or percentage and I'm a little frustrated I didn't test it...but I didn't. Update, it's percentage, if i change to $90, I'll receive $81.

I received the following via email which speaks to gatorhater's point above:

Ticketmaster, the official resale partner of the Ticket Exchange, manages several different resale marketplaces on behalf of its partners. After posting your tickets, you may notice that list prices vary across those different sites. For instance, if your tickets appear on Ticketmaster.com's latest resale platform, TM+, the listing price will be higher than the list price on the league resale site. This is simply because the price displayed on TM+ presents all buyer and seller fees up front. Learn about TM+. But please know that your final payout will be the exact same, regardless of where the ticket sells. If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to contact our customer care center at ticketexchangesupport@ticketmaster.com.

Thanks to all who have helped and I hope this helps someone else.

Last edited:
So along these same lines, but from a buyer perspective, I have two questions.
1. As a buyer, why would I want to send some someone money to purchase tickets I don't know are real except through a site like ticket master? In other words, before, I could easily meet someone near Knoxville, give someone cash, and get my tickets. Now everyone I have contacted outside of the ticketmaster, on here included, wants me to send them money first and then they will transfer my tickets to me. How is the buyer protected in this case?

2. Let me see if I am understanding what gaterhater posted. Seller wants to sell tickets for $100 and receives $90, basically a 10% charge of the 100 to sell. Then TICKETMASTER also charges the buyer about 21.25% in fees to purchase a $100 ticket? So in simplistic terms, a buyer who wants to purchase individual tickets has to pay roughly 30% more to buy tickets using this new system than he would have face to face. How does this really benefit anyone except Ticketmaster? Sure the seller can adjust his request to get the exact amount desired, but that just further drains the pockets of the regular income person who would like to be able to attend a couple of games in the year.

So along these same lines, but from a buyer perspective, I have two questions.
1. As a buyer, why would I want to send some someone money to purchase tickets I don't know are real except through a site like ticket master? In other words, before, I could easily meet someone near Knoxville, give someone cash, and get my tickets. Now everyone I have contacted outside of the ticketmaster, on here included, wants me to send them money first and then they will transfer my tickets to me. How is the buyer protected in this case?

2. Let me see if I am understanding what gaterhater posted. Seller wants to sell tickets for $100 and receives $90, basically a 10% charge of the 100 to sell. Then TICKETMASTER also charges the buyer about 21.25% in fees to purchase a $100 ticket? So in simplistic terms, a buyer who wants to purchase individual tickets has to pay roughly 30% more to buy tickets using this new system than he would have face to face. How does this really benefit anyone except Ticketmaster? Sure the seller can adjust his request to get the exact amount desired, but that just further drains the pockets of the regular income person who would like to be able to attend a couple of games in the year.

To possibly answer both your questions.
If you want to meet someone near Knoxville or whatever and pay cash you can still do that. The only difference is now that instead of someone handing you your tickets they will transfer them to your account right in front of you. Now two things happen when that’s done. #1 you accept the tickets once they show up in your account, at that point the tickets are yours. This only takes seconds to a min or two depending on your service. ( I would not suggest trying to transfer tickets on gameday near the stadium as service is very congested.) #2 Once you accept the tickets they are no longer any good in the sellers account. A whole new barcode was created when you accepted them. So there is no chance the seller can sell them twice.
Also to your point of why would I send money because now everyone wants you to send money and then get your tickets. If a seller transfers tickets to you and you accept them they are gone from their account. So to protect them they would ask for payment in advance. Now you the buyer can use Venmo or PayPal GOODS AND SERVICES then your purchase is protected. I would also say as a second line of defense when you use either one of those and you are paying goods and services that you use a credit card as payment. Not your balance or bank account linked to either. That way you have two lines of protection. Now depending on who your dealing with they will either absorb the fee or ask you to pay it. It is a small percentage of the total amount sent. I think a person can look at that two ways. That may be less than the gas it would cost either of you to meet. Also your time involved. But if you do that then the money is sent (with protection) and the seller transfers the tickets just as though you met. Same result, different method.
Question #2
About the fees for KnoxLandcrusier to sell tickets and what the actual cost is to the buyer. The sellers fee on most third party sites for you the seller, if your tickets sell is 10%. You the buyer do not pay that when you purchase tickets. That is deducted from the $100 for the tickets so KnoxLandcrusier gets $90 and TM gets $10 from him for the transaction. Now you are correct a lot of times sellers will raise the price of their tickets to cover that fee. So there is a possibility you the buyer would absorb that fee as well. You the buyer do pay whatever TM is charging for their fees. In your example 21.5% I think it was. So your cost is just the TM fees on top of the $100 ticket. Not everyone wants to use their service but some chose to. It does cost more as you can see on average to buy on TM vs VN
Hope that helps

Last edited:
What is the price breakdown for each game? I usually get tickets to a couple games from a family member, but he didn’t see any price listed on the digital tickets, and I haven’t been able to find it online. I assume the season tickets are priced differently than the single game tickets.

Is a new ticket created when a transfer is made? Let's say I buy tickets from a random stranger. He has those tickets initially and stores them in his apple pay or Google wallet as suggested by the university. I then purchase the tickets and he transfers them to me. Is a new qr code created? What stops the original owner from using the ticket as well?

Is a new ticket created when a transfer is made? Let's say I buy tickets from a random stranger. He has those tickets initially and stores them in his apple pay or Google wallet as suggested by the university. I then purchase the tickets and he transfers them to me. Is a new qr code created? What stops the original owner from using the ticket as well?
You’re correct that a new code is created.

How do you not get scammed by someone selling online. Some of the Facebook groups are littered with people “selling” from fake profiles.

Are there ANY circumstances where paper tickets were still being accepted last night? I still saw several people trying to scalp paper tix and I just hoped people were smart enough to stay away.

Are there ANY circumstances where paper tickets were still being accepted last night? I still saw several people trying to scalp paper tix and I just hoped people were smart enough to stay away.
Yes. There are still some paper tickets this year. The narrative being spread that "only digital tickets are allowed" is just false. I contacted the ticket office to verify this, and I saw several people enter the stadium with paper tickets.

Yes. There are still some paper tickets this year. The narrative being spread that "only digital tickets are allowed" is just false. I contacted the ticket office to verify this, and I saw several people enter the stadium with paper tickets.
Yes they made it sound like it was 100% digital so when I saw people selling I was a little weary. Hopefully no one got scammed last night.

VN Store

Back