Difference between Malzahn, Chip Kelly, and CJH

Malzahn and Kelly built their careers being offensive geniuses only to fade later in their careers.

Looking for posters with some solid football knowledge to reply here.

Does CJH run an offense that can last longer than 5 years before becoming average?

Malzahn and Kelly sped up the game. Running back to back plays under 20 seconds, keeping the momentum without stops and wearing the defense down, hence players now playing hurt. Yes, Kellys offense is going strong and adapting, as Dan Mullen and Kelly are from the "Maine Mafia" coaching tree. Malzahn is smoke and mirrors and works when he has Cam Newton as QB1

CJH comes from the Hal Mumme, Mike Leach, Mark Mangino background of letting it fly and go fast.

In my opinion the spread is just a variation of the single wing. The main difference is that in the single wing the tailback (Q.B. in the spread) was always a runner 1st. but could pass adequately. If some of the old single wing coaches had opened up the offense it might have made the T formation obsolete. For you younger people watch some of the films on YouTube and see what you think.
I played in the single wing in the mid 60's and you are correct. When I watched Meyer at Florida with Tebow I was pretty much watching the single wing with some tweaks.

Great point. I wonder if he has adapted and figured something out to answer this issue? At the same time, Mizzou did not have a very talented team outside of Lock. Heupel and his staff got a lot more out of a lot less. This is probably the most raw offensive talent he's had since OU.
Frankly, his results at Mizzou give me more confidence in his offensive ability than his results at UCF. I thought what he accomplished there was remarkable.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
I hate to admit it but Kiffin seems to adapt quite well to whatever offensive talent he is handed to work with.

I know everyone hates Bama! If history means anything and it does. Look at Paul Bear Bryant in the 60's. Few recall that he had both Joe Namath and Ken Stabler at least together for one year. It was a few years after that Bama threw like 6 or 7 interceptions during a bowl game. The opening game next season during pre-game interview, question arose would Bama get intercepted. Bear stated no interceptions would be thrown. Hello to the wishbone!

Last edited:
I don't think Pruitt crashed because of anything to do with adaptation to a changing game.

The proximate cause of Pruitt's collapse is cheating by his staff (probably with his support, but we'll never really know).

But the deeper cause of Pruitt's collapse is a lack of leadership. He simply is not a very good leader. Doesn't have good inter-personal skills. Doesn't inspire. Doesn't have character. Doesn't have a tangible, resilient values system.

Now, would he be intelligent enough to adapt if he'd remained a head coach long enough to see significant change in the game? We can't know that. But that's not what killed him. Lack of leadership and cheating killed him as a head coach.
That and Jarett Guarantano. Have to tune in to Washington State this fall and see if he can break the all time record and get a third coach fired

Malzahn and Kelly built their careers being offensive geniuses only to fade later in their careers.

Looking for posters with some solid football knowledge to reply here.

Does CJH run an offense that can last longer than 5 years before becoming average?
You need innovation and talent on offense but in the end you also have to be able to stop somebody on D when it matters

I hate to admit it but Kiffin seems to adapt quite well to whatever offensive talent he is handed to work with.

True, but I don't hate to admit it or say it. Wish he had stayed here, it might have been very interesting.

It may have been discussed in another thread but BBC would you say CJH offense is closer to Art Briles style air raid or Dana Holgerson type air raid. I'm leaning more toward the Briles style especially since he had Lebby (Briles's RB coach) as his OC. I have been wanting to see what an Briles style offense can do. It will be interesting to see who if any team (Ole Miss, Arky or Us) can perfect the offense in the SEC.

This isn't rocket science, but the two keys are adaptability and recruiting of good players who fit the system, and not necessarily in that order.

All the talk about Saban's adaptability is true and very much to his credit, but it's also made a hell of a lot easier with 4 and 5-star players at the skill positions and across the OL, and the ability to coach them up. At this level, any system will only be as good as the quality of players recruited and the how well the coaching staff can grow the talent, and no one has ever been better at it than Saban.

You nailed it. Saban could do nothing but run between the tackles...and tell the defense what is coming...and still win 9-11 games on his regular season schedule every year. He only needs to coach in those 1-3 games every year where the talent is closer.

The NFL tells you more about a coach’s ability to game plan and scheme because there are very few, if any, gimmees on an NFL schedule.

VN Store

Back