Did you graduate from UT? Degree?

82 Civil Engineering

ME from Vandy in 94

Oldest brother 66 Mechanical Engineer (Torchbearer) (BS/MS)
Younger brother 84 Pre med
youngest brother 88 mechanical engineering
oldest nephew 93 industrial engineering
oldest son 2012 biology/pre-med
youngest son 2017 mechanical engineering

so 1962-2017 eight degrees over 45 years... wow i never did that math before.
🤨

Reactions: StarRaider
BS Engineering Science and Mechanics, MS Industrial Engineering. Spent some time working with UTSI and UT Reliability Centered Maintenance.

Reactions: Wireless1
It's fantastic some of UT's biggest supporters never went to college and others went to college, but elsewhere.

There's not a bigger Vol than my old neighbor who has rarely been to Knoxville. Same goes for another friend who received his education from an Ivy League institution.

Reactions: ArdentVol
It's fantastic some of UT's biggest supporters never went to college and others went to college, but elsewhere.

There's not a bigger Vol than my old neighbor who has rarely been to Knoxville. Same goes for another friend who received his education from an Ivy League institution.

I get what you’re saying, but honestly, those who went and graduated from UT have a level of understanding and commitment to the university those who didn’t attend can’t fully appreciate. Not that going to UT makes you better or worse than anyone else.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
It's all good. And those that didn't exactly spend time on the hill, but still love the state and the school. To me, interesting to see the folks that overlapped my time there, and came away with similar degrees and had many of the same teachers. This thread could deteriorate when tales of "Wild Bill Cherry" pop up. Or Cas Walker. Or of Sam and Andy's and the bull during streaking, or Vince Staten running for homecoming queen with a bag on his head, or the Kern's breadtruck getting raided.. the last lap, Maltese Falcon, Roman room, tap room, Dixie Lee Drive in, and later generations embarrassed by butt chugging..
I worked in a couple of Cas Walker’s stores, on Chapman Hwy and in Vestal, when I was in high school. Met the man a time or two when he was in the store.

Graduated from MSU with a bachelor's in Civil Engineering. Spent 8 years at MDOT before taking a job at Gresham Smith, a growing engineering & architecture firm. Left there after 3 years to work with, in my opinion, the best Geomorphologist & River Engineer in the United States. We work together at a small Mississippi-based engineering firm. Currently trying to figure out how to expand our services to Tennessee. If we could generate enough work up up there to justify setting up an office in East Tennessee that would be a dream come true. I've dreamed of retiring in East TN since I was a teenager.
I grew up in Knoxville and left the state in 1976 to start my engineering career in Baton Rouge. Now in Houston running my own business. Would love to move back to East Tennessee but would have to get a divorce first Lol.

76 was Transportation back then. Saw the war riots in late 60's. Interesting a lot of participated. Glad we're able to write about it now. Sam & Andy's, OCI...

2004 BS in Business Management
2013 MS in Information Science
I will be paying student loans for life
career = public library branch manager in the city by the bay

Last edited:
I get what you’re saying, but honestly, those who went and graduated from UT have a level of understanding and commitment to the university those who didn’t attend can’t fully appreciate. Not that going to UT makes you better or worse than anyone else.

Not always. Thunder Thornton went to Wesleyan but is a major UT donor. I don't know how common or uncommon that kind of dynamic is, though. I mean I agree that being an alum creates an attachment that's hard to emulate, but the commitment thing seems pretty subjective. Full disclosure: I never attended UT and I don't feign commitment to the university, I just passively follow the football program. But I know many non-alums who truly revere UT.

VN Store

Back