Did Travis Henry almost transfer before the 98 season?

I ran across this article written by his college roommate at Oregon talking about his problems with addiction and how it affected him...
What happened to Onterrio Smith? 1

Thanks for posting that. Horrible story and one that hits close to home for anyone with a friend or family member who has gone through it. Oregon sure didn't do him any favors by giving him a place he could go to and keep doing drugs while they happily looked the other way. But hey, they got a couple of 1,000-yard rushing seasons out of him and a conference championship. Maybe they feel like it was worth it.

From Johnnie Jones to Reggie Cobb, Chuck Webb, Tony Thompson, Little Man Stewart, Aaron Hayden, Charlie Garner, Jay Graham, Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Shawn Bryson, Travis Stephens, Cedric Houston, Gerald Riggs, Arian Foster to Montarrio Hardesty was a hell of a run for UT running backs.
I would have given anything to have seen Jonathan Jones run behind some of these better offensive lines. He is still my all time favorite.

Can you imagine Herschel Walker not having an opportunity to run over Bill Bates as a first game freshman, because of worry about his pass blocking.
Priorities are a little different when your QB is Buck Belue vs when it’s Peyton Manning in his Senior year.

Had to be Stephens, Bryson was the starting FB. Although, Bryson was the starting RB for the Detroit Lions, for at least one year.

That would be my thought as well. I like Travis Stephens, but it's hard to believe he beat out Travis Henry. Stephens was a year older though, I believe.

Actually drug testing for cannabis at that time was up to the school or maybe conference. Oregon did not test for that substance at that time while Tennessee and other schools in backwards parts of the country made a ridiculous choice to give themselves a disadvantage.

Actually, during that time, marijuana was viewed by most as a bad drug. Most schools, not backwards minded redneck universities in hickville, tested for it. Just say no was the motto of the time. Oregon was unique, and mostly did this to attract players to build their Nike program up from nothing. O Smith wasn't the only player during that time to transfer into Oregon.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
It's still insane to think how stacked those 90's and early 2000's teams were at RB. Guess we didn't realize how lucky we were until we look back in hindsight.

From that article.

I remember that shortly after Travis arrived at UT, he had to have his knee scoped. It only set him back a couple of weeks. (that in itself amazed the team and coaches) But to answer your question, Travis wasn’t happy with his playing time from the get go. Jamal was getting most of the playing time. That signing class was probably the most talented that Tennessee ever had.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Speaking of Travis Henry, does anyone have any update on him? I feel like he’s one of the few Tennessee greats that we never heard from once he was gone. Or at least not in recent memory.

He hasn't exactly had an illustrious post-football life. That's why you don't hear much about him.

I never heard anything about either of the Travis's considering transferring. The stud we lost from that amazing group of RB talent was Ontario Smith, but who could blame him for leaving.
That kid, with his head on straight, would have been the best rb in Vol history

With running backs such as Cobb and Webb and Lewis and Stephens and Majors, UT should have had a Heisman Trophy or two to add to the trophy case.

The issue was Lewis was a freshman and Levine wasn't. Fulmer always gave the benefit of the doubt to upperclassmen.
More a Cut preference. He also didn’t embrace the use of TE’s in the passing game...that got better.

Story Henry told was he went home and planned to transfer. His mother told him to get his ass back to Knoxville.

Thank goodness for her. She should have told him about condoms also.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
It's still insane to think how stacked those 90's and early 2000's teams were at RB. Guess we didn't realize how lucky we were until we look back in hindsight.

What are you talking about? Tauren Poole would have beat out all those guys!

Outstanding talent in the backfield.

Yeah The Cheese was right to feel upset. But honestly, Jamal Lewis was a freak and Stephens was a stick of dynamite in the backfield. And could drive the pile just as well as Henry sometimes.

Go watch the National Championship game and watch the difference between Henry against the FSU defense and Stephens against it. Stephens' speed made the difference in the whoe game if you ask me. Changed the whole way FSU played against our offense. Peerless, T Stephens, and T Martin carried us to victory thar day.

Travis was my favorite Vol of all-time. I was really discouraged about his involvement with the drug ring and his 10 or 11 children by almost the same number of different women. What a wasted opportunity with what his athletic ability had given him.

VN Store

Back