Did Travis Henry almost transfer before the 98 season?

Hacksaw

"Well..."
I ran across this article written by his college roommate at Oregon talking about his problems with addiction and how it affected him...
What happened to Onterrio Smith? 1
Thanks for posting that. Horrible story and one that hits close to home for anyone with a friend or family member who has gone through it. Oregon sure didn't do him any favors by giving him a place he could go to and keep doing drugs while they happily looked the other way. But hey, they got a couple of 1,000-yard rushing seasons out of him and a conference championship. Maybe they feel like it was worth it.

onevol74

From Johnnie Jones to Reggie Cobb, Chuck Webb, Tony Thompson, Little Man Stewart, Aaron Hayden, Charlie Garner, Jay Graham, Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Shawn Bryson, Travis Stephens, Cedric Houston, Gerald Riggs, Arian Foster to Montarrio Hardesty was a hell of a run for UT running backs.
I would have given anything to have seen Jonathan Jones run behind some of these better offensive lines. He is still my all time favorite.

tsvol06

Had to be Stephens, Bryson was the starting FB. Although, Bryson was the starting RB for the Detroit Lions, for at least one year.
That would be my thought as well. I like Travis Stephens, but it's hard to believe he beat out Travis Henry. Stephens was a year older though, I believe.

Kinglberry

Actually drug testing for cannabis at that time was up to the school or maybe conference. Oregon did not test for that substance at that time while Tennessee and other schools in backwards parts of the country made a ridiculous choice to give themselves a disadvantage.

Actually, during that time, marijuana was viewed by most as a bad drug. Most schools, not backwards minded redneck universities in hickville, tested for it. Just say no was the motto of the time. Oregon was unique, and mostly did this to attract players to build their Nike program up from nothing. O Smith wasn't the only player during that time to transfer into Oregon.

Evergrenevol

Lux et Veritas
From that article.
I remember that shortly after Travis arrived at UT, he had to have his knee scoped. It only set him back a couple of weeks. (that in itself amazed the team and coaches) But to answer your question, Travis wasn’t happy with his playing time from the get go. Jamal was getting most of the playing time. That signing class was probably the most talented that Tennessee ever had.

Vol423

Speaking of Travis Henry, does anyone have any update on him? I feel like he’s one of the few Tennessee greats that we never heard from once he was gone. Or at least not in recent memory.
He hasn't exactly had an illustrious post-football life. That's why you don't hear much about him.

VN Store

Sponsors