Did NCAA Rules Committee Make Change?

DyronNix

Did the NCAA make a rule change to address the situation that occurred during the UT-UK football game this year? I think it was at the end of the 2nd OT when UT blocked the field goal attempt and ran it back down the field. Eric Berry got tackled by his face mask, but there was no penalty because it was a dead ball foul (or something like that)? Just an atrocious loophole in the rules.

I don't remember reading anything about such a rules change.

I do not believe any action has been taken; I believe a career-ending injury is required. Sarcasm off.

it is a pretty crappy rule. I'm not sure if it's ruled a dead ball (could be) but during the return for a blocked FG, the play is still in process, so that means that the other team can pretty much do whatever they want to bring the guy down. the team that commits the foul should be penalized in the next overtime wither they're on offense or defense.

the situation that was always bandied about was that a team's sidelines could basically come onto the field and tackle a player who was clearly going to score, and there is nothing the rules can do to penalize it.

i thought there was specifically a rule giving the referee a lot of discretion, with regard to someone coming in off the sideline. For example, if the TN player is running down the sideline by himself (with no one around) and someone from Alabama jumps off the sideline to tackle him, or trip him then the referee can award TN a TD. Does that rule not apply in OT?

Even if there is Mullet. I would NOT want the Vols to win a game because the refs GAVE them a TD. Regardless of the situation.

I do agree they need to address last season's situation though.

Even if there is Mullet. I would NOT want the Vols to win a game because the refs GAVE them a TD. Regardless of the situation.

I do agree they need to address last season's situation though.

I think it's happened before. Not with TN but I seem to remember somebody coming off the bench and tackling an opposing player and the ref awarding a TD.

I think it's happened before. Not with TN but I seem to remember somebody coming off the bench and tackling an opposing player and the ref awarding a TD.

I seem to remember seeing that. I want to say it was Alabama or a game Alabama was in. It might have been a bowl game. Anyone remember?

I seem to remember seeing that. I want to say it was Alabama or a game Alabama was in. It might have been a bowl game. Anyone remember?

Alabama vs. Rice a long, long time ago. An Alabama player made the illegal tackle and then tried to slink back to the sidelines.

Alabama vs. Rice a long, long time ago. An Alabama player made the illegal tackle and then tried to slink back to the sidelines.

I thought I remembered it being Bama. You have to wonder what the guy was thinking. I don't think he even had his helmet on did he?

VN Store

Back