Did Missouri find a formula or was it a one-off?

Teezy

There were a lot of shocking things happening in college football this past weekend. None shocked me more than Missouri leading Georgia at half time. Even with the loss, it was the first sign of Georgia showing any sense of weakness (I didn’t take the Kent St. game too seriously).
What shocked me wasn’t how good or bad either team was playing. It was Missouri’s defensive scheming. If you watched the game, it seemed like Missouri was just SENDING THE HOUSE. With Georgia relying on their RBs and TEs so heavily this season, I believe they may have just found a formula to make Georgia run max protection and make Stenson Bennett ACTUALLY beat you with his arm.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch
I think a lot of what we saw in the game was a very talented UGA team going thru the motions against an SEC opponent. You saw it against Kent but they didn't have the athletes to take full advantage. Wouldn't count on seeing that when the level of competition rises.

Georgia sleep walked then remembered they were Georgia and Missouri remembered they were Missouri.

Seriously though watching that game Mizzou did a good job pressuring from outside. Georgias huge advantage at tight ends they had in route running. Mizzou just came straight after Stetson and forced him to make step up and throw vertically. Thats not his game. He can stand back there or scramble and find a safety valve. But he is not the type to move up in pocket and be able to throw to the perimeter. I do think Missouri had a good formula. Not sure we can do that as much as our linebackers would have to get in there very quick as our other line backers won't be able to hang with Brock Bowers or Washington. So some teams may be able to do those things better than we could. As mentioned though I see Georgia sleep walked and adjusted very late. I also think they will keep Washington home more to give Stetson more time.

Last edited:
Honestly, UGA has sleep walked to an extent in every game except Oregon and South Carolina this year. Remember they had an unimpressive and uninspired effort against Samford too. It seems like they decided to show up for the season-opener against a good Pac 12 team, and the "rivalry" game against the Gamecocks, but sleep through everything else.

Remember, Kirby's team manages to lose one game that they shouldn't lose.
Examples:
2016: Vandy 17, Georgia 16
2018: LSU 36, Georgia 16
2019: South Carolina 20, Georgia 17

Reactions: VolDave53
Remember, Kirby's team manages to lose one game that they shouldn't lose.
Examples:
2016: Vandy 17, Georgia 16
2018: LSU 36, Georgia 16
2019: South Carolina 20, Georgia 17
He's really only done that once, for all practical purposes. 2019 South Carolina is his only "WTF?" loss. Throw the first year out - he was still implementing things and that team has nothing in common with his subsequent teams.

2018 LSU was a disappointment but it isn't like that was a bad LSU team. They were ranked 12th when UGA played them, finished 6th, and the game was in Baton Rouge.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
He's really only done that once, for all practical purposes. 2019 South Carolina is his only "WTF?" loss. Throw the first year out - he was still implementing things and that team has nothing in common with his subsequent teams.

2018 LSU was a disappointment but it isn't like that was a bad LSU team. They were ranked 12th when UGA played them, finished 6th, and the game was in Baton Rouge.
Georgia losing 28-27 to Georgia Tech in Athens in 2016.

Reactions: VAVol85
Georgia losing 28-27 to Georgia Tech in Athens in 2016.
Again, I throw the first season with coaches. Especially if said coach has since more than proven they consistently field great teams. I don't think the 2016 season is in any way indicative of Kirby's more recent squads.

People have forgotten about his first season for obvious reasons, but looking back that wasn't a good season at all, even for a first season. The gem was a win over a #8 Auburn team that finished #24, but they were blown out by an Ole Miss team that finished 5-7, blew a big lead to us and lost on the Hail Mary, lost to Vandy, lost to Georgia Tech, almost lost to Nicholls St (!), and almost lost to a 4-8 Mizzou team.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
Formula -- A boring road trip to a desolate area of the midwest will lull the giant to sleep. Then the halftime dog-cussing by the coaching staff will wake the giant and all is well @ the end.

To be the man, you have to beat the man. There is no secret sauce. Just whip his ass...

The formula is that UGA's Oline is not very good right now. That fact makes the running backs look not so good, Stetson's got the other team's jerseys in his face, and he puts the ball on the ground. They have a new Oline coach, as Matt Luke retired at the end of the championship season. May have something to do with it?

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Again, I throw the first season with coaches. Especially if said coach has since more than proven they consistently field great teams. I don't think the 2016 season is in any way indicative of Kirby's more recent squads.

People have forgotten about his first season for obvious reasons, but looking back that wasn't a good season at all, even for a first season. The gem was a win over a #8 Auburn team that finished #24, but they were blown out by an Ole Miss team that finished 5-7, blew a big lead to us and lost on the Hail Mary, lost to Vandy, lost to Georgia Tech, almost lost to Nicholls St (!), and almost lost to a 4-8 Mizzou team.
Agree 100% see Saban first year at Bama. Louisiana Monroe? If he lost that game any year but first would be reason to panic.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Missouri is playing hard. They may be beat down by the time they get to Tennessee

The formula is that UGA's Oline is not very good right now. That fact makes the running backs look not so good, Stetson's got the other team's jerseys in his face, and he puts the ball on the ground. They have a new Oline coach, as Matt Luke retired at the end of the championship season. May have something to do with it?

Bong rips and keggers imo.

Reactions: BAMA-DAWG

VN Store

Back