Did coach Pruitt or Barnes take salary cuts?

If you remember Barnes got a violation because he paid one of his staff out of his pocket because Hart wouldn’t pay them

My point is, why should they. If you want to make that kind of money, put in the hours, blood, sweat and tears to earn it. Whether you think they deserve it or not, I guarantee you would not be able to do a better job for a fraction of the cost. For better or worse they signed a contract and are not obligated to take a paycut.

What happens if total athletic department revenues in 2020, are 50% of total athletic department revenues in 2019? You have to cut unless you have a $50 million surplus sitting around...OK, so where to cut? Non-revenue sports, facilities maintenance (where possible), peripheral staff, advertising, reduce meet participation (swim meets, track meets, etc), and now start cutting coaching salaries...

This is obviously a bad situation to be in, but virtually every university's athletic department will take a huge hit in revenue for 2020. I would venture to say that TV network revenues will be down as well...What does 2021 hold in store regarding collegiate sports? Still uncertain at the moment, but hopeful. Regardless, I don't know of any real-world situation where a 50% reduction in revenues would enable certain well-paid folks escape pay cuts...

Who has to tell the egg guy to feed his chickens?

On the surface it seems unfair to expect or encourage anyone to pay back or take less, but if it saves the cash cow, it only makes sense.

Another poster stated that they don’t make enough to either make or break the program, so to give any or all back is just a matter of principle. Although a lot from a few might not be enough, some from many could be a game changer.

It all voluntary even if it’s someone else’s idea or directive.

Should the NCAA consider it a violation if a coach gives part of their pay back to fund something to do with sport he/she coaches? It’s a slippery slope when the NCAA is involved. I expect the NCAA any day now to mandate a 15% Covid fee from all coaches for having to deal with this mess in the 1st place. With fewer games they are probably hurting more than the schools. Who’s going out and buying NCAA apparel? Sure they get a piece of the action from all apparel sold by any school, but they need more so they can figure out how to manage the scholarship limits with this year not counting towards eligibility. Throw in the one time transfer rule and these guys would be in over their heads.(Actually it would make it easier if they ruled, you get one free transfer after that the player has to sit a year. Either use a red shirt or burn a year of eligibility.) That’s got to be at least $1 Billion more in administrative expense, somebody has to pay for that, might as well be the coaches.
There’s lots of money that hasn’t dried up. Use that before we draw inspiration from ceremonial forfeitures.

There’s lots of money that hasn’t dried up. Use that before we draw inspiration from ceremonial forfeitures.
I agree with that for sure. For an organization to ask for some to cut or give back is the biggest sham ever. When an organization has deep pockets, let them dig deep to keep things going before they pass the hat.

VN Store

Back