Did Coach Cuttcliffe receive a National Championship ring

jasonvols2.2

The Kelly Bryant fiasco made me think of this. At one time, he didnt. Of course he left for Ole Miss, and coached in their bowl game. (After that sloppy win against Mississippi State) i thought it was cheap that he didn't get one.

The Kelly Bryant fiasco made me think of this. At one time, he didnt. Of course he left for Ole Miss, and coached in their bowl game. (After that sloppy win against Mississippi State) i thought it was cheap that he didn't get one.

Pretty sure he got one, remember him saying so in an interview and that he was one of the first people called in the locker room by CPF, Randy Sanders and the Chief among others.

Cutcliff and Chavis both extended Fulmer's career as Head Coach @ Tennesssee and I have no reservstions about this fact, do you?
Great contribution to the thread. There's plenty of others about that

OP, it is interesting to entertain the reasons why KB doesn't get a ring while CDC did get a ring. Different schools, but the thinking process is interesting to me.

We look at Cutcliff as a key cog in our success, worthy of the spoils, even though he left for a better opportunity
We look at Bryant as a quitter, unworthy of spoils, even though he left for a better opportunity.

Both contributed to the NC. It cannot be precisely proven that with or without either, the teams would have won the NC or not. Both quit on their teams before the job was complete. One is a hero (generally & helped by a return later) and the other is a goat (generally).

Humans are an interesting group.

Reactions: Daloth
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...onal-champions-david-cutcliffe-randy-sanders/
Cutcliffe said:
Cutcliffe could have been there in person. Fulmer invited Cutcliffe to come to Tempe, Ariz., after Ole Miss’ Independence Bowl. Cutcliffe declined.

“I just felt like it was going to disrupt,” he said. “It was very hard telling him I don’t need to do that.”

Cutcliffe has more than just rental home memories of UT winning a national title. He has a memento that symbolizes what he meant to the Vols, a national championship ring.

Cutcliff and Chavis both extended Fulmer's career as Head Coach @ Tennesssee and I have no reservstions about this fact, do you?
We you do understand that it’s the job of the head coach to hire the best staff that he can and when he hired both Cut and Chief, he got full credit for it. A head coach and his staff aren’t adversarial....the staff doesn’t happen without the head coach putting it together. So while people want to say Fulmer only lasted as long as he did because of the staff he put together, it’s foolish.

Also, it could be easily disputed whether or not Chief extended Fulmer’s career....he was literally the worst 3rd down, especially 3rd and long, defensive coordinator I’ve ever witnessed in 45 years of watching college football.

He returned to Knoxville and received his at the same dinner as everyone else in 1999.

I knew in the Florida game, when Burton ran 80 yds on 1 play and then 80 more later on the same play to the other side, that Sal was lost.

I knew in the Florida game, when Burton ran 80 yds on 1 play and then 80 more later on the same play to the other side, that Sal was lost.

When that NCSU tailback ran untouched of left guard for a 4yd TD, I scratched my head and thot "that didn't look right". I had no idea!

In retrospect, looking at how he helped drive this program down with Erik Ainge and Fulmer, I really hope he didn't get a ring...

If Cut would have quit after 4th game would you have supported him getting a ring? Asking for a friend.

I remember when this happened with Cuttcliffe. It's one of the reasons I have such respect for Coach Pruitt. He did the opposite. He didn't let his team down, completed the full season, finished what he started and won another National Title. This attitude is exactly what we need at UT.

OP, it is interesting to entertain the reasons why KB doesn't get a ring while CDC did get a ring. Different schools, but the thinking process is interesting to me.

We look at Cutcliff as a key cog in our success, worthy of the spoils, even though he left for a better opportunity
We look at Bryant as a quitter, unworthy of spoils, even though he left for a better opportunity.

Both contributed to the NC. It cannot be precisely proven that with or without either, the teams would have won the NC or not. Both quit on their teams before the job was complete. One is a hero (generally & helped by a return later) and the other is a goat (generally).

Humans are an interesting group.
One was involved for the entire process for over a decade and only missed one game.

The other played in 30% of the games at the beginning of the season and quit on his team.

Not sure how these are equal in any reasonable persons eyes.

One was involved for the entire process for over a decade and only missed one game.

The other played in 30% of the games at the beginning of the season and quit on his team.

Not sure how these are equal in any reasonable persons eyes.

I don't know where anyone said they were "equal". One was a highly paid mid-aged coach. One was 19-20yo young man on scholarship as player. Not being "equal" is so obvious that Stevie Wonder can see it.

But, the similarities are striking. And the attitudes toward each are near polar opposites in the fanbases.

VN Store

Back