Did anybody pay attention to that challenge that Kansas City apparently lost?

Volnanza

The dude was pushed out of bounds but before making ground contact, traveled well beyond the 1st down marker before touching out of bounds. After replay they ruled he was short. This is the exact opposite of what was called in the UGA OSU game. georgia was given credit for making the 1st after advancing the ball out of bounds. This was a critical play. If the call went the other way, then uga loses. So what is the right call?

Reactions: Smokey19rt
The dude was pushed out of bounds but before making ground contact, traveled well beyond the 1st down marker before touching out of bounds. After replay they ruled he was short. This is the exact opposite of what was called in the UGA OSU game. georgia was given credit for making the 1st after advancing the ball out of bounds. This was a critical play. If the call went the other way, then uga loses. So what is the right call?
Not sure about college but in NFL the ball itself has to cross the line. The chiefs players body was across but ball was out of bounds.

In college, if one foot in the air is in bounds when the ball crosses the down-to-make marker's plane across the field, then the referees have a 65% chance of giving the player a first down. That rises to 100% if Kirby Smart greased the referee's palm before the game to the tune of at least four digits (and the position of both ball and player become significantly less important).

Something like that.

In college, if one foot in the air is in bounds when the ball crosses the down-to-make marker's plane across the field, then the referees have a 65% chance of giving the player a first down. That rises to 100% if Kirby Smart greased the referee's palm before the game to the tune of at least four digits (and the position of both ball and player become significantly less important).

Something like that.

And have they ever at any time since that game used the "5 G yard line spotter" that they threw out in that game as well. I may be wrong, but normally before any new tech is allowed in a game, you have to have agreement on both sides. For example, if communications with the press box go down for one team, then the other team has to stop using theirs as well to prevent a competitive advantage. Has anybody else seen this before or since?

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Not sure about college but in NFL the ball itself has to cross the line. The chiefs players body was across but ball was out of bounds.

At the goal line (NCAA), the ball has to cross inside the pylon, meaning the ball... not the player... is in bounds. I assume the same would be true at the first down marker.

I can't speak with certainty about the NFL rule, but the UGA ruling was correct. The player's hand was on the ground, in-bounds, when the ball crossed the line to gain. Had the hand not been on the ground, it would've come back to wherever the ball was when the last in-bounds contact with the ground was made before a part of the ballcarrier's body touched out of bounds. If the NFL rule is that the ball has to be in the field of play, that would explain the ruling. If the NFL rule is the same as the college rule, I would suspect that the ruling was that the ball should come back to wherever the last part of the player's body touched in bounds.

Reactions: Sarms58
The nfl rules where the ball advances to when it crosses the sideline. College, the ball advances to when you touch out of bounds, unless you are at the goal line, then it must cross inside, or touch the pylon.
I thought the same thing during the ga game, but I looked into it, and the rule is different.

Reactions: Sarms58
I can't speak with certainty about the NFL rule, but the UGA ruling was correct. The player's hand was on the ground, in-bounds, when the ball crossed the line to gain. Had the hand not been on the ground, it would've come back to wherever the ball was when the last in-bounds contact with the ground was made before a part of the ballcarrier's body touched out of bounds. If the NFL rule is that the ball has to be in the field of play, that would explain the ruling. If the NFL rule is the same as the college rule, I would suspect that the ruling was that the ball should come back to wherever the last part of the player's body touched in bounds.

It's been about a month, so I may be misremembering, but the hand holding the ball itself went out of bounds about a half yard short, did it not? Sure it went further than the 1st down marker before he was officially out, but the ball never crossed back into in bounds. Shouldn't it be spotted where the ball crossed the line?

Kansas City was not about to lose a play off game to Fabio. I can't believe it's not butter

I have never seen it called even one time the way it was in the Georgia game. So if a player dives at a 45 degree angle just before he goes out of bounds it might be marked as much 5 yards advanced of when the ball crossed the out of bounds line? I doubt it.

and balls do not have to cross lines. The ball only has to touch the line! Like if your foot touches the white line, you are out of bounds!

At the goal line (NCAA), the ball has to cross inside the pylon, meaning the ball... not the player... is in bounds. I assume the same would be true at the first down marker.
So correct me if I'm wrong, but in the Georgia game, when Bennett scored their first touchdown, didn't he touch the outside of the pylon? Wouldn't that mean it wasn't a touchdown?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
So correct me if I'm wrong, but in the Georgia game, when Bennett scored their first touchdown, didn't he touch the outside of the pylon? Wouldn't that mean it wasn't a touchdown?
If the ball touches the pylon, it’s a touchdown, regardless if it’s the outside part of the pylon.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa
My understanding is that the pylon is in bounds. We got a TD against Clemson because the ball touched the pylon before the player hit the ground out of bounds. I'm not an official, just repeating what was explained on TV.

kansas-city-chiefs-kc.gif

My understanding is that the pylon is in bounds. We got a TD against Clemson because the ball touched the pylon before the player hit the ground out of bounds. I'm not an official, just repeating what was explained on TV.
I wasn't as clear as I should have been; Bennett touched the outside of the pylon with the football. In my opinion, the football didn't cross the goal line in bounds. Bennett's body may have been inside the pylon, but the ball was not. How do they give a touchdown when the ball is not in bounds? Is the outside of the pylon consider part of the playing field?

Yea, knew that was going to be reversed when they showed the replay. Bowers was in bounds (left hand on the turf) with the ball, past the first down marker. If he hadn’t put the left hand down, they might have kept the original spot.

VN Store

Back