DG's Takaways from O&W Game

I don't have the same worried of OL as I did before they hired Chaney. OL will be much improved this year and a strength the next year. I think Chaney will settle on the starting 5 by the first week of fall camp as opposed to last year where it changed every other day.

Don't know what to make of DL, but if Soloman gets cleared and Taylor is more consistent, we might be in business. The D this year will be much improved.

The drops bothered me especially the uncontested ones. IF we clean those up and get semi-decent OL play this will be a much better season. I like the quick passes, getting DWA the ball more, getting Chandler the ball in space, getting Jennings the ball. We have some weapons, now lets see if JG has a second more to use them than last year.

If we get to play Gibbs and Solomon this season, that will really help strengthen our defense!

Don't read too much into the OL woes. I think we are just trying a few players out to see how they perform. I expect to see Tatum, Jamir Johnson, Kennedy, Niehaus and Morris as starters. With Wright, Ryan Johnson, Carvin and Akporoghene providing immediate depth.

There's only so much you can glean from the Orange & White Game but I always enjoy watching it. That said, here were my thoughts on the game and the future.

The QBs

JG. Started out a bit rough, but once he got in a groove, his passes were on the money. Continues to show great poise and leadership. He also very rarely makes big mistakes. This is what differentiates him IMO. No brainer as the #1 QB.

Shrout. Shrout has a rocket of an arm as we saw from the throw on his 1st play from scrimmage. Felt like he struggled a bit with managing the offense at times, but the O-line was also a mess. Overall, felt like I didn't get a great sense of Shrout from this game; but fun to see him throw deep.

Maurer. Maurer looked like the best QB on the field at times. He also looked like the worst QB at other times. You could see both his great potential and his inexperience. He made some poor decisions, 2 INTs, and a bobbled snap. Yet, he looked poised and totally in control of the offense. That's rare for a true Freshman. Most of his passes were right on the money, even though at least one of the INTs was very bad. He also clearly has the best "wheels" out of our QBs. He's got some work to do and he needs to adjust to the SEC level of play, but in another year or two, he could be competing for the starting job.

Less worried about depth. If JG were to get injured this season, I'd be worried, but less worried than I was before the O&W game. Shrout and Maurer both look further along than expected; albeit, I do think their lack of experience would show if either were to need to start against a major SEC power.

Our QB corp could be very good next season. With JG back for his final season, Shrout and Maurer with another year of experience under their belt, and a potential stud QB in Harrison Bailey coming in, our QBs could be very good next year. If we can hold onto all 4 guys, we arguably will have one of the deepest pools of QBs in the SEC in 2020.

The RBs

Not much learned. Didn't really gain much knowledge that I didn't already have watching our RBs.

Ty Chandler most underrated RB in the SEC. I firmly believe that Chandler is a top 5 RB in the SEC right now. Statistically, we had the worst run-blocking O-line in the SEC (indeed, the worst out of all P5 teams) last year and Chandler still averaged 5.5 ypc. If Chandler had Bama's O-line, he is putting up numbers similar at least close to Najee Harris. He's also a threat receiving. He's a step below Keshawn Vaughn (Vanderbilt) and D'Andre Swift (Georgia), but he's very good.

Jeremy Banks. Banks was good last season aside from the fumbles. If he fixes that, he'll be good. Thought he was impressive in O&W, but the O&W game also doesn't really test his biggest weakness, so we'll see when the season begins.

The O-line

Still a work in progress. I was not impressed by the O-line. Perhaps our Front 7 on D has gotten a lot better, but my impression is that the O-line still has a long way to go. This is easily our biggest problem on offense and something that needs to get figured out if we want to go to a bowl game.

Other Offense

DWA. He's very good.

Tyler Byrd. Something about him feels different this year. I'm hoping he finally shows that promise he did his Freshman season, as we haven't seen it the past two years. But he has a very different energy about him right now.

Jennings. He came on strong at the end of last season and he played well in this game. He's looking like the guy that beat Georgia in 2016 again.

Jim Chaney. Thought Chaney did a good job calling plays that got rid of the ball quickly. With the O-line troubles, that's important.

Defense

Improved. I'll repeat it again, "it's difficult to tell", but the D looked very good out there.

Depth still an issue. While I thought the D looked great, our biggest issue last year was depth more than quality. We could play like world-beaters for awhile, but eventually, the good teams just wore down our Front 7. The D-line, in particular, is an issue area after losing our top 4 D-linemen from last season. So we might look good for the 1st and 2nd Quarter, but the real question is how will our D-line look in the 2nd Half.

Shannon Reid and Will Ignont. An interesting battle for the 1st string at ILB as both of these guys look very good.

DBs looked good. A few mistakes and I didn't see who got burned by Callaway, but I thought the DBs performed reasonably well overall.

Darrell Taylor underrated. Another underrated player. As one of the announcers said, he was one of the leaders in sacks last season in the SEC. He's become more of a leader this year. If he can improve his consistency, he can be one of the best defensive players in the SEC.

Overall

Summation. I learned the most about our backup QBs and some of the backup WRs. Maurer could very good in another year or two. Tyler Byrd should be a bigger contributor this season at WR than last season. And I'm still very worried about the O-line (if not more worried!). However, the D felt stronger and could be better than we think. Overall, it feels like the program is moving in the right direction. We need more depth and experience on the lines, but we're getting competitors who show great promise.

Your Thoughts

What were your all's impressions?

GBO!
Crouch looks like someone you would create if you had a cheat code. He just jumped off the screen !

He's one of the top returning sack leaders in the SEC

Whether or not he’s one of the top returning sack leaders, we’ll have to see. He was WILDLY inconsistent last year when he recorded 7 of his 8 sacks in 2 games. He had one other really good, productive game, and in the other 9 games he essentially no-showed. He’s gotta be much better, much more consistent.

O line still at least a year away from being able to compete every week in the SEC. Really glad we're not starting the season next week..!!
Banks didn't fumble...give that man the ball.
Loved the "quick hit" plays Chaney is putting in. We're gonna need that..badly.
Maurer looked good for his age and experience level. Hope we don't NEED him this year, but down the road he looks like the future.
I'm going to disagree a little with Volle...I don't believe we have enough quality competitors for starting spots. Coach Fulmer pointed that out in an interview during the game. His opinion was 2-3 recruiting classes away, and I think he's right. At least 2 anyway.
Overall I saw and heard a LOT of good stuff for the team and the overall program but I still come away thinking 2019 will NOT be the year some folks think it will be. (9 wins..???? GMAFB)
But it's going to come and it's going to be solid, and for real.
GBO..!!

Shannon Reid and Will Ignont. An interesting battle for the 1st string at ILB as both of these guys look very good.
Opinion: Reid. He's been the talk of coaches lately and recorded, by far, the team high 10 tackles (including 8 solo) in the O&W game.

Also believe it will remain RB by committee. Seems to be some excitement about Gray coming in and have to believe Banks will hold the ball like it's made of gold.
Here's the numbers from Saturday
20190415_062801.jpg
20190415_062633.jpg

Reactions: all4vol
Shannon Reid and Jaylen McCullough were big takeaways for me. I'm not good at analyzing a football team in live action, but there were a couple of nice pass breakups over the middle where I thought, "Dang, who is that?" and I spotted Reid's name. Then I read that news blurb about him leading the team in tackles, and I think he could come out of nowhere as a real play maker... least I hope so.

We look improved, but its not the quantum leap I was hoping to see. Its much more incremental than I had hoped. Plus I realize that most of our 2019 class wont report until Fall camp, but I was hoping we'd see a more immediate infusion of noticeable upgraded talent from last year to this year. But really nothing stood out to me other than our Oline looking like swiss cheese again.

Im still thinking 7-5 this year. 8-4 is the absolute ceiling if we stay injury-free.

I am excited about this season. Banks looks quicker, and the Defense looks to be more improved. 10 wins is my ceiling for this team. The only two losses I see are Bama and UGA. I would love to beat UGA though.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Per usual, the OL is the Achilles heel. JG and RBs can be good if JG is not running for his life. Every play. DL will be serviceable with the depth we have if the O isn't 3 and out every possession. I am hoping for some improvements but our season rests on how much better the Online is this year. I hope Chaney can make it happen between now and then with what we have.

Imo d will be ok if offense can move the ball. We cant stand very many 3 and outs

Most disappointing: OL did not show improvement. JG took care of the ball, but needed to get rid of it sooner on some plays, which probably falls on the OL more than JG. Liked the use of TE's by Chaney. DWA and Lowe are going to make an impact. Lowe learned a valuable lesson in ball security which will serve him well. McCullough looked like a game changer. How do we get him on the field? Where was Cimiglia? Brooks did not look good. Kickoffs were not good.

Most disappointing: OL did not show improvement. JG took care of the ball, but needed to get rid of it sooner on some plays, which probably falls on the OL more than JG. Liked the use of TE's by Chaney. DWA and Lowe are going to make an impact. Lowe learned a valuable lesson in ball security which will serve him well. McCullough looked like a game changer. How do we get him on the field? Where was Cimiglia? Brooks did not look good. Kickoffs were not good.
You can't take much out of a spring scrimmage

Imo d will be ok if offense can move the ball. We cant stand very many 3 and outs

Yes, this is the key to our D not melting down in the 4th Qtr. They should be able to win the winnable games as long as the O can slow the game down enough for them to keep up. I think Chaney will be able to better adjust here with the running game to compliment the D that we have.

OL still the key to how many this team wins. JG slow thinking QB likes to hold it in his hand. He is still the experienced guy and will play. Maurer quick thinker sometimes to quick like the interception to McCullough. The second was just a great play by McCullough and a poor one by the WR. Maurer will run quickly after a read that looks covered. Being this good as a freshman really looks great for the future. He needs to redshirt and eat the JG breakfast. He needs to get to at least 215 form the 192 he is now without losing any of that quickness. I was impressed with his running ability.

There's only so much you can glean from the Orange & White Game but I always enjoy watching it. That said, here were my thoughts on the game and the future.

The QBs

JG. Started out a bit rough, but once he got in a groove, his passes were on the money. Continues to show great poise and leadership. He also very rarely makes big mistakes. This is what differentiates him IMO. No brainer as the #1 QB.

Shrout. Shrout has a rocket of an arm as we saw from the throw on his 1st play from scrimmage. Felt like he struggled a bit with managing the offense at times, but the O-line was also a mess. Overall, felt like I didn't get a great sense of Shrout from this game; but fun to see him throw deep.

Maurer. Maurer looked like the best QB on the field at times. He also looked like the worst QB at other times. You could see both his great potential and his inexperience. He made some poor decisions, 2 INTs, and a bobbled snap. Yet, he looked poised and totally in control of the offense. That's rare for a true Freshman. Most of his passes were right on the money, even though at least one of the INTs was very bad. He also clearly has the best "wheels" out of our QBs. He's got some work to do and he needs to adjust to the SEC level of play, but in another year or two, he could be competing for the starting job.

Less worried about depth. If JG were to get injured this season, I'd be worried, but less worried than I was before the O&W game. Shrout and Maurer both look further along than expected; albeit, I do think their lack of experience would show if either were to need to start against a major SEC power.

Our QB corp could be very good next season. With JG back for his final season, Shrout and Maurer with another year of experience under their belt, and a potential stud QB in Harrison Bailey coming in, our QBs could be very good next year. If we can hold onto all 4 guys, we arguably will have one of the deepest pools of QBs in the SEC in 2020.

The RBs

Not much learned. Didn't really gain much knowledge that I didn't already have watching our RBs.

Ty Chandler most underrated RB in the SEC. I firmly believe that Chandler is a top 5 RB in the SEC right now. Statistically, we had the worst run-blocking O-line in the SEC (indeed, the worst out of all P5 teams) last year and Chandler still averaged 5.5 ypc. If Chandler had Bama's O-line, he is putting up numbers similar at least close to Najee Harris. He's also a threat receiving. He's a step below Keshawn Vaughn (Vanderbilt) and D'Andre Swift (Georgia), but he's very good.

Jeremy Banks. Banks was good last season aside from the fumbles. If he fixes that, he'll be good. Thought he was impressive in O&W, but the O&W game also doesn't really test his biggest weakness, so we'll see when the season begins.

The O-line

Still a work in progress. I was not impressed by the O-line. Perhaps our Front 7 on D has gotten a lot better, but my impression is that the O-line still has a long way to go. This is easily our biggest problem on offense and something that needs to get figured out if we want to go to a bowl game.

Other Offense

DWA. He's very good.

Tyler Byrd. Something about him feels different this year. I'm hoping he finally shows that promise he did his Freshman season, as we haven't seen it the past two years. But he has a very different energy about him right now.

Jennings. He came on strong at the end of last season and he played well in this game. He's looking like the guy that beat Georgia in 2016 again.

Jim Chaney. Thought Chaney did a good job calling plays that got rid of the ball quickly. With the O-line troubles, that's important.

Defense

Improved. I'll repeat it again, "it's difficult to tell", but the D looked very good out there.

Depth still an issue. While I thought the D looked great, our biggest issue last year was depth more than quality. We could play like world-beaters for awhile, but eventually, the good teams just wore down our Front 7. The D-line, in particular, is an issue area after losing our top 4 D-linemen from last season. So we might look good for the 1st and 2nd Quarter, but the real question is how will our D-line look in the 2nd Half.

DBs looked good. A few mistakes and I didn't see who got burned by Callaway, but I thought the DBs performed reasonably well overall.

Darrell Taylor underrated. Another underrated player. As one of the announcers said, he was one of the leaders in sacks last season in the SEC. He's become more of a leader this year. If he can improve his consistency, he can be one of the best defensive players in the SEC.

Overall

Summation. I learned the most about our backup QBs and some of the backup WRs. Maurer could very good in another year or two. Tyler Byrd should be a bigger contributor this season at WR than last season. And I'm still very worried about the O-line (if not more worried!). However, the D felt stronger and could be better than we think. Overall, it feels like the program is moving in the right direction. We need more depth and experience on the lines, but we're getting competitors who show great promise.

Your Thoughts

What were your all's impressions?

GBO!
Depth still an issue. While I thought the D looked great, our biggest issue last year was depth more than quality. We could play like world-beaters for awhile, but eventually, the good teams just wore down our Front 7.

Take into account that our defense was typically on the field for 75% of the game because our offense couldn't get first downs. I don't care who you play, you are going to get tired on defense when that happens.

Crouch looks like someone you would create if you had a cheat code. He just jumped off the screen !

Most impressive recruit I've watched on film in forever. When we recruited him early at RB I had the insane thought that this kid looks like Herschel Walker in capability. Can't wait to see him pick up this D!

CJP said early in his tenure the defense runs trough the DBs and I think he is getting those positions where he wants them. With that, and the apparent improvements here, he will be able to dictate more on defense. LBs have more than one name to talk about so there seems to be improvement there also. DL is a question, eligibility and all. Overall, if the offense doesn't hang them out to dry, they will likely get off the field more, which is a good thing.

OL ..... good grief. Continues to be the Achilles heel, and the one position group that is a few recruiting classes behind. Getting Kennedy back and hopefully Trey, will help a lot. RBs are fine, receivers are fine - just catch the ball .... it's gonna be critical. I say that as none of the QBs can carry the team on their backs and JG is inconsistent, even during a game. Highly encouraged that they threw more passes to the middle of the field .... more in this game than half of last season. But QBs gotta complete much more of those than they miss and receivers gotta hang onto the ball. The passing game is a key to the offense staying on the field and preventing opposing defense's from stacking the box.

We will not have any consistent success until we are consistently good up front on both sides of the ball. Looks like OL still has a long way to go, which is alarming and disappointing at the same time.

If we get to play Gibbs and Solomon this season, that will really help strengthen our defense!

Don't read too much into the OL woes. I think we are just trying a few players out to see how they perform. I expect to see Tatum, Jamir Johnson, Kennedy, Niehaus and Morris as starters. With Wright, Ryan Johnson, Carvin and Akporoghene providing immediate depth.
No Tatum. Maybe Johnson at Center.

VN Store

Back