DG's Takaways from O&W Game

DiderotsGhost

There's only so much you can glean from the Orange & White Game but I always enjoy watching it. That said, here were my thoughts on the game and the future.

The QBs

JG. Started out a bit rough, but once he got in a groove, his passes were on the money. Continues to show great poise and leadership. He also very rarely makes big mistakes. This is what differentiates him IMO. No brainer as the #1 QB.

Shrout. Shrout has a rocket of an arm as we saw from the throw on his 1st play from scrimmage. Felt like he struggled a bit with managing the offense at times, but the O-line was also a mess. Overall, felt like I didn't get a great sense of Shrout from this game; but fun to see him throw deep.

Maurer. Maurer looked like the best QB on the field at times. He also looked like the worst QB at other times. You could see both his great potential and his inexperience. He made some poor decisions, 2 INTs, and a bobbled snap. Yet, he looked poised and totally in control of the offense. That's rare for a true Freshman. Most of his passes were right on the money, even though at least one of the INTs was very bad. He also clearly has the best "wheels" out of our QBs. He's got some work to do and he needs to adjust to the SEC level of play, but in another year or two, he could be competing for the starting job.

Less worried about depth. If JG were to get injured this season, I'd be worried, but less worried than I was before the O&W game. Shrout and Maurer both look further along than expected; albeit, I do think their lack of experience would show if either were to need to start against a major SEC power.

Our QB corp could be very good next season. With JG back for his final season, Shrout and Maurer with another year of experience under their belt, and a potential stud QB in Harrison Bailey coming in, our QBs could be very good next year. If we can hold onto all 4 guys, we arguably will have one of the deepest pools of QBs in the SEC in 2020.

The RBs

Not much learned. Didn't really gain much knowledge that I didn't already have watching our RBs.

Ty Chandler most underrated RB in the SEC. I firmly believe that Chandler is a top 5 RB in the SEC right now. Statistically, we had the worst run-blocking O-line in the SEC (indeed, the worst out of all P5 teams) last year and Chandler still averaged 5.5 ypc. If Chandler had Bama's O-line, he is putting up numbers similar at least close to Najee Harris. He's also a threat receiving. He's a step below Keshawn Vaughn (Vanderbilt) and D'Andre Swift (Georgia), but he's very good.

Jeremy Banks. Banks was good last season aside from the fumbles. If he fixes that, he'll be good. Thought he was impressive in O&W, but the O&W game also doesn't really test his biggest weakness, so we'll see when the season begins.

The O-line

Still a work in progress. I was not impressed by the O-line. Perhaps our Front 7 on D has gotten a lot better, but my impression is that the O-line still has a long way to go. This is easily our biggest problem on offense and something that needs to get figured out if we want to go to a bowl game.

Other Offense

DWA. He's very good.

Tyler Byrd. Something about him feels different this year. I'm hoping he finally shows that promise he did his Freshman season, as we haven't seen it the past two years. But he has a very different energy about him right now.

Jennings. He came on strong at the end of last season and he played well in this game. He's looking like the guy that beat Georgia in 2016 again.

Jim Chaney. Thought Chaney did a good job calling plays that got rid of the ball quickly. With the O-line troubles, that's important.

Defense

Improved. I'll repeat it again, "it's difficult to tell", but the D looked very good out there.

Depth still an issue. While I thought the D looked great, our biggest issue last year was depth more than quality. We could play like world-beaters for awhile, but eventually, the good teams just wore down our Front 7. The D-line, in particular, is an issue area after losing our top 4 D-linemen from last season. So we might look good for the 1st and 2nd Quarter, but the real question is how will our D-line look in the 2nd Half.

Shannon Reid and Will Ignont. An interesting battle for the 1st string at ILB as both of these guys look very good.

DBs looked good. A few mistakes and I didn't see who got burned by Callaway, but I thought the DBs performed reasonably well overall.

Darrell Taylor underrated. Another underrated player. As one of the announcers said, he was one of the leaders in sacks last season in the SEC. He's become more of a leader this year. If he can improve his consistency, he can be one of the best defensive players in the SEC.

Overall

Summation. I learned the most about our backup QBs and some of the backup WRs. Maurer could very good in another year or two. Tyler Byrd should be a bigger contributor this season at WR than last season. And I'm still very worried about the O-line (if not more worried!). However, the D felt stronger and could be better than we think. Overall, it feels like the program is moving in the right direction. We need more depth and experience on the lines, but we're getting competitors who show great promise.

Your Thoughts

What were your all's impressions?

GBO!

Last edited:
There's only so much you can glean from the Orange & White Game but I always enjoy watching it. That said, here were my thoughts on the game and the future.

The QBs

JG. Started out a bit rough, but once he got in a groove, his passes were on the money. Continues to show great poise and leadership. He also very rarely makes big mistakes. This is what differentiates him IMO. No brainer as the #1 QB.

Shrout. Shrout has a rocket of an arm as we saw from the throw on his 1st play from scrimmage. Felt like he struggled a bit with managing the offense at times, but the O-line was also a mess. Overall, felt like I didn't get a great sense of Shrout from this game; but fun to see him throw deep.

Maurer. Maurer looked like the best QB on the field at times. He also looked like the worst QB at other times. You could see both his great potential and his inexperience. He made some poor decisions, 2 INTs, and a bobbled snap. Yet, he looked poised and totally in control of the offense. That's rare for a true Freshman. Most of his passes were right on the money, even though at least one of the INTs was very bad. He also clearly has the best "wheels" out of our QBs. He's got some work to do in gaining experience and getting better at decision-making, but 2 years from now, he could easily be the starter.

Less worried about depth. If JG were to get injured this season, I'd be worried, but less worried than I was before the O&W game. Shrout and Maurer both look further along than expected; albeit, I do think their lack of experience would show if either were to need to start against a major SEC power.

Our QB corp could be very good next season. With JG back for his final season, Shrout and Maurer with another year of experience under their belt, and a potential stud QB in Harrison Bailey coming in, our QBs could be very good next year. If we can hold onto all 4 guys, we arguably will have one of the deepest pools of QBs in the SEC in 2020.

The RBs

Not much learned. Didn't really gain much knowledge that I didn't already have watching our RBs.

Ty Chandler most underrated RB in the SEC. I firmly believe that Chandler is a top 5 RB in the SEC right now. Statistically, we had the worst run-blocking O-line in the SEC (indeed, the worst out of all P5 teams) last year and Chandler still averaged 5.5 ypc. If Chandler had Bama's O-line, he is putting up numbers similar at least close to Najee Harris. He's also a threat receiving. He's a step below Keshawn Vaughn (Vanderbilt) and D'Andre Swift (Georgia), but he's very good.

Jeremy Banks. Banks was good last season aside from the fumbles. If he fixes that, he'll be good. Thought he was impressive in O&W, but the O&W game also doesn't really test his biggest weakness, so we'll see when the season begins.

The O-line

Still a work in progress. I was not impressed by the O-line. Perhaps our Front 7 on D has gotten a lot better, but my impression is that the O-line still has a long way to go. This is easily our biggest problem on offense and something that needs to get figured out if we want to go to a bowl game.

Other Offense

DWA. He's very good.

Tyler Byrd. Something about him feels different this year. I'm hoping he finally shows that promise he did his Freshman season, as we haven't seen it the past two years. But he has a very different energy about him right now.

Jennings. He came on strong at the end of last season and he played well in this game. He's looking like the guy that beat Georgia in 2016 again.

Jim Chaney. Thought Chaney did a good job calling plays that got rid of the ball quickly. With the O-line troubles, that's important.

Defense

Improved. I'll repeat it again, "it's difficult to tell", but the D looked very good out there.

Depth still an issue. While I thought the D looked great, our biggest issue last year was depth more than quality. We could play like world-beaters for awhile, but eventually, the good teams just wore down our Front 7. The D-line, in particular, is an issue area after losing our top 4 D-linemen from last season. So we might look good for the 1st and 2nd Quarter, but the real question is how will our D-line look in the 2nd Half.

Shannon Reid and Will Ignont. An interesting battle for the 1st string at ILB as both of these guys look very good.

DBs looked good. A few mistakes and I didn't see who got burned by Callaway, but I thought the DBs performed reasonably well overall.

Darrell Taylor underrated. Another underrated player. As one of the announcers said, he lead the SEC in sacks last season. He's become more of a leader this year. If he can improve his consistency, he can be one of the best defensive players int eh SEC.

Overall

I learned the most about our backup QBs and some of the backup WRs. I'm more worried about the O-line than I was before (and I was already worried about that) and less worried about the D. Overall, though, it feels like the program is moving in the right direction. We need more depth and experience on the lines, but we're getting competitors who show great promise.

Your Thoughts

What were your all's impressions?

GBO!
Very well done, very fairly written and I thought your observations were on the money. Although, the announcers were badly mistaken about Taylor leading the SEC in sacks last year. He had 8 and was tied for 6th....Josh Allen at Kentucky led the conference with 17.5.

Very well done, very fairly written and I thought your observations were on the money. Although, the announcers were badly mistaken about Taylor leading the SEC in sacks last year. He had 8 and was tied for 6th....Josh Allen at Kentucky led the conference with 17.5.

Admittedly, I thought that didn't sound right, but I didn't bother to fact-check it because I assumed the announcer knew what was he talking about. :)

Per usual, the OL is the Achilles heel. JG and RBs can be good if JG is not running for his life. Every play. DL will be serviceable with the depth we have if the O isn't 3 and out every possession. I am hoping for some improvements but our season rests on how much better the Online is this year. I hope Chaney can make it happen between now and then with what we have.

My thoughts: We are going to have to outscore everybody, A lot!!
I like our secondary with Bryce, Alontae, Flowers and McCullough....concerned about Warrior. We also have some other talented, young DBs like Burrell who can contribute. I think our LBs can be better, even a strength if Bituli continues to get better and our young talent can make an impact....Ignont and Reid are limited but with good coaching and scheming, I think they can be serviceable. Henry T is a wildcard....can he be really good or even great as a true freshman?

Obviously, the DTs and DEs and OLBs are the concern. Hopeful that Solomon can get eligible and that Gooden can consistently play all season long like he flashes st times last year. And then there are others that just have to step up. Taylor has to be much more consistent and Deandre Johnson has to be good. Whole lot to ask for, but I think the defense can be decent.

Nice report. I will add the OL is still a mess and JG still needs to throw a better ball to the sidelines. His other throws are improving. I do think Maurer is going to pass Strout. I thought Banks looks really good. Tim Jordan needs to catch the ball and he will be much better. Like Chaney's offense.

On defense, Crouch is big. You can tell he is figuring out how to play at this level. He looks good wearing that 27 jersey. Can't wait till he can back it up! Taylor is going do to well this year. Hope he can stay healthy and fresh. I think teams will have to consider doubling him. Everyone saw the potential last year. Now do it every game.

Special teams looked bad, but I will wait till fall to see what I think. Overall it was fun to get out to Neyland and it certainly was great weather.

I thought the start of the game Strout was going to come out guns blazing and JG was just making the rounds. You could tell as time went on Strout lost focus a bit. Maurer has a cannon and the position is in good hands.

I think Tennessee should go RB by comiitted until someone decides to separate themselves

Jennings and everyone else: Jennings seems to want it more than last season and is finally past all the issues. He had a huge game and I believe he’ll have a Hunter esque year. There’s plenty of speed to go around at the position this year hopefully the line allows us to utilize them

Buffet busters: I really wasn’t impressed with them as a whole. It didn’t seem like they progressed marginally if at all. The help can’t get here fast enough.

Defense:

Upfront they showed a lot of fire coming off the ball and an attitude to fight off blocks. Solomon will be a force upfront. The LBs have improved and play sideline to sideline this is the group that will define the D. You can tell Pruitt and Ansley are working in the secondary. They read and react a lot faster and I’m not seeing them getting flat with their hips. Things are definitely more fluid.

It’s great to see progress and once they fix the short comings of the last staff Tennessee will be a force.

O line is the O line, but there were some holes for the RB's And JG had time for some throws, like he did at the Auburn game. So that's a plus..

He's one of the top returning sack leaders in the SEC

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
It was Romello Edwards, #7, getting burned by Callaway. Tough matchup. I really do feel good about pretty much every position group’s progression but the O-line. I really do think it that can be fixed, 2020-21 can be a hugely successful year (10-11 wins), and this next year could be a good year of progress, 7-8 wins.

All QB's looked good when taken into consideration experience and age.

O-line..well..JG might need a few more burgers for breakfast to absorb the hits he will take.

Defense looked alright but it went against the 121 worst..I mean best...offense in the country from last year.

One thing I took away from the game is the fact that Chaney makes a vested effort to get the TE's the ball. JG showed some poise. Shrout was kinda what I expected, but Maurer was a bit of a surprise. He looked like a Fr with the 2 picks, but other than that he seemed in control of the offense most of the time. The throw he had to Lowe was impressive. Go Vols!!!

Quick hits:
- Mauer has good footwork and quick release, could see PT this year
- Crouch is a hitter, will be a force at LB
- Byrd needs a look at punt returner, looks more involved this year
- OL has enough bodies now to create competition, will be improved over last year, hard to jell in the spring
- All of a sudden we're deep at DB's-- McCullough and the transfer from UGA look good
- Cheney is going to use the TE's a lot, good oppty for DWA
- Tackling looked better in general
- Looked like S&C paying off, bigger and better cut bodies out there

Quick hits:
- Mauer has good footwork and quick release, little bit of Heath Shuler in him, could see PT this year
- Crouch is a hitter, will be a force at LB
- Byrd needs a look at punt returner, looks more involved this year
- OL has enough bodies now to create competition, will be improved over last year, hard to jell in the spring
- All of a sudden we're deep at DB's-- McCullough and the transfer from UGA look good
- Cheney is going to use the TE's a lot, good oppty for DWA
- Tackling looked better in general
- Looked like S&C paying off, bigger and better cut bodies out there

VN Store

Back