Devonta Gaines brought in for Defense and did his job

The all NCAA FT% has just crept over 70% in the last couple years. That’s all “D1 Scholarship” players. D1 scholarship basketball players miss free throws. Let alone ones who come in off the bench at the end of a game with the outcome on the line. It sucks it happens but it does

My gawd. Gaines "did his job?" Are u friggin kidding me. I suppose we should make him player of the year for not missing the hoop entirely. Blowing into his hands frantically like he was playing outdoors in the Arctic. Then looking absolutely silly the way he lined himself up for the two bricks. He looked like a guy they just randomly grabbed from the stands. You guys have to stop making excuses for the gross incompetence of these players and coaches. Hold them to a higher standard. If what Gaines did is acceptable and "doing his job" it's no wonder we keep choking away games and not win anything.

I will trust the coach on this one. He has certainly been a liability on offense this year.

As I said in another thread, he needs to gain some good weight, and he needs to figure out his offense. I believe he has all the physical ability in the world, but he does have some obstacles to overcome. It just doesn't work to play 4 on 5 when you are on offense.
How can you be a liability when you haven’t logged any minutes to speak of?

I was dumbfounded watching the charge calls in the second half. I'm still trying to figure out where the player was that they charged into. And I will say in addition, as good as Keon is, he had some bad turnovers at a critical time of the game. Maybe he was trying too hard to make something happen instead of drawing the defense to him then dish to an open player.

He did the job Barnes asked of him.

Barnes was on a “heater” for the most part with the minutes Uros gave him outta the blue but he rolled craps when Gaines got fouled.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
My gawd. Gaines "did his job?" Are u friggin kidding me. I suppose we should make him player of the year for not missing the hoop entirely. Blowing into his hands frantically like he was playing outdoors in the Arctic. Then looking absolutely silly the way he lined himself up for the two bricks. He looked like a guy they just randomly grabbed from the stands. You guys have to stop making excuses for the gross incompetence of these players and coaches. Hold them to a higher standard. If what Gaines did is acceptable and "doing his job" it's no wonder we keep choking away games and not win anything.
He played for 1 minute, registered two blocks and secured one rebound. 1 minute. There’s a lot in the 199 other minutes that lost us this game.

He did the job Barnes asked of him.

Barnes was on a “heater” for the most part with the minutes Uros gave him outta the blue but he rolled craps when Gaines got fouled.
I get bringing Gaines in for defensive purposes. But some of the use of our subs is mysterious to me.

Reactions: 1985Vols

Have you ever played team sports?

10 turnovers by two great players hurt just as much.......probably more than 2 missed ft’s by Gaines.

He was asked to go in and play D. He did. He just had the most pressure of his life put on him and that pressure is why he missed the shots. He wasn’t used to it by any means......heck he hadn’t even played in quite a while.

The “team” had a chance to win.....probably should have.....and the “team” lost. Each player who played could have done something differently at some point and changed the outcome.

Tournament basketball is different that reg season. You can’t let a team go on a 14-0 run in the second half w/o calling a TO. You lose now you’re out. No game next Wednesday.

How can you be a liability when you haven’t logged any minutes to speak of?
Don’t get me wrong. I’ve been a big advocate for him, but he shot .333 last year, and .222 this year. He has had opportunities, but hasn’t had a breakout game. His 3 point shooting has been atrocious. I will say that he is still getting steals at a high rate, and has become much more reliable about avoiding turnovers.
I think he may be where Fulky was 2 years ago. He needs to get his mojo back. I don’t fault him for missing the free throws today, but an SEC player has to play with more confidence than he has shown.

Reactions: vols 30
My heart hurts for that young man, visibly upset about not making those free throws. Loved how his teammates tried to pick him up.
I can tell that he is dedicated to the team despite not playing much. Every opportunity he gets he plays at 100%. Hate it for him he couldn’t take advantage. I hope he gets his shot at redemption.

I hate it for Gaines. Seems like a good kid who works hard and always gives it everything he's got on game day. That was a tough situation to be put in. Sucks that he missed them both, but hopefully it will serve as a good learning experience for him.

Reactions: A.J.
I really hated it for him. I was glad to see the other guys on the team be there for him after. I can’t imagine how much pressure that had to be coming in cold with little to no playing time most of the season. I hope he sticks with it and gets a chance to make the big play next time. If he can develop his offensive game a little, I think he can get some more PT. He does great on D like on the play he was in on today, and makes lots of hustle plays when he gets in the game.

Don’t get me wrong. I’ve been a big advocate for him, but he shot .333 last year, and .222 this year. He has had opportunities, but hasn’t had a breakout game. His 3 point shooting has been atrocious. I will say that he is still getting steals at a high rate, and has become much more reliable about avoiding turnovers.
I think he may be where Fulky was 2 years ago. He needs to get his mojo back. I don’t fault him for missing the free throws today, but an SEC player has to play with more confidence than he has shown.
What’s the total number of minutes he’s played this season - doesn’t seem like more than 30?

Let's put it this way, Barnes brought in a kid that might average 4 minutes a game for UT, this year to guard the SEC player of the year and he shut him down, got a rebound or a turnover and got fouled doing it. If Gaines had hit both FTs and UT won, he would be a UT basketball folk legend

If he can develop his offensive game a little, I think he can get some more PT. He does great on D like on the play he was in on today, and makes lots of hustle plays when he gets in the game.
I hope Davonte can develop some offensive game, but he is three years removed from high school, so he should have some semblance of an offensive game by now.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

VN Store

Back