Destiny Slocum

The point about DeShields is not that easy to establish...All you have to do is look at the WNBA. Who is making an impact in that league and who is not? It is pretty obvious DeShields had all the necessary requirements to play the game...The Coaching, not so much.

You notice the question of what their record would have been without DeShields was conveniently ignored.

The 2014-15 season was really the last one you could argue Tennessee was still among the elite. Not coincidentally, the transition to the following season was also the most salient point where the team went from the roster Holly inherited to the roster Holly built. They've been a middling SEC program ever since. That decline may have been surprising to some fans, not all...

I think it's hard to come from a mid major and then try to quickly build relationships for 2021 and 2022 prospects that other coaches have spent years nurturing.

That's why you hire proven, experienced recruiters on your staff. Even Holly understood this...

I think it's hard to come from a mid major and then try to quickly build relationships for 2021 and 2022 prospects that other coaches have spent years nurturing.

Exactly. Recruiting is all about relationships. It's what made Pat such a great recruiter in getting her type of player. Her success certainly helped, but she really cultivated great relationships with the players and their families. She was the type of person you just wanted to sit and talk to. I wish I had that chance.

And yes, Geno does the same thing. So does C.Viv although she isn't quite the recruiting force as she used to be.

Probably the only relationships Harper had were MId-major prospects as that is where she was and that is where she was spending her time. I though Goldwire would have some relationships with some players that might benefit us thus far not as expected from her. Same with Sullivan and her years at Ohio State might be of value for some players that she was recruiting there. I see several players on the board from those areas thus far no commits.

Holly benefited from continuity with the program. She was the same person who was recruiting these players before she became HC.

That's true, but she also recognized when to cut ties and upgrade the staff when recruiting began to stagnate, as painful as that probably was. The Lady Vols didn't really breakthrough under Pat until the mid-80's when she realized she needed to upgrade recruiting and hired DeMoss. Kellie's staff has... recruited a couple of pretty good players at Iowa.

That's true, but she also recognized when to cut ties and upgrade the staff when recruiting began to stagnate, as painful as that probably was. The Lady Vols didn't really breakthrough under Pat until the mid-80's when she realized she needed to upgrade recruiting and hired DeMoss. Kellie's staff has... recruited a couple of pretty good players at Iowa.
I agree that she needs to keep a close eye on what her assistant coaches are doing on the recruitment trail, and not be afraid to pull the trigger if she needs to upgrade one of them to get the job done.

You notice the question of what their record would have been without DeShields was conveniently ignored.

The 2014-15 season was really the last one you could argue Tennessee was still among the elite. Not coincidentally, the transition to the following season was also the most salient point where the team went from the roster Holly inherited to the roster Holly built. They've been a middling SEC program ever since. That decline may have been surprising to some fans, not all...

It wasn't ignored. The records the years immediately preceding and immediately following her two years were posted.

What would their record have been without her? I dunno, not being omniscient. Maybe a lot worse. Maybe better. Maybe the same.

And that's the point. Some people were speculating about national championships with her team. Seems a little silly in hindsight, but that's the problem with speculation. Maybe they would have gotten a committed team player who went elsewhere because she didn't want to play behind Diamond for what looked to be three years. Maybe team chemistry would have been better. Maybe Cooper wouldn't have gotten kicked off the team. Maybe Warlick wouldn't have counted on relying so heavily on a superstar and would have concentrated more on developing the available talent. Maybe a coherent team offense would have magically materialized.

Maybe...maybe....

I don't see the value in speculating about "what if's." Maybe someone can make a hobby out of tracking every transfer pickup by SEC teams this year and chart their contributions to make a case for how each improved her new team.

That is, unless the only point of harping on them before they've even suited up is to criticize Harper...again.

I don't see the value in speculating about "what if's."

LOL are you new to sports forums? "What ifs" are the backbone of discussion, especially now where there are literally no sports going on. Most of the sports buzz today coming after the documentary last night is about whether Jordan in his prime could beat LeBron. But it could never happen so why even discuss it? Or looking ahead to next season is a waste of time and speculating about particular games is pointless, I guess. Suffice it to say the team might be better. Unless they're worse. Or the same.

That's true. No one is denying the talent or even some of the individual stats put up.

The challenge is to the statement that the teams SEC adding talent are necessarily getting better as a team. I'm assuming that the poster is talking about actual team results as reflected by wins and not just on paper or determined by stats of single players.

One can reasonably say that a lot of other SEC teams have been adding talented players during the off-season. It remains to be seen whether those additions translate into better team results and whether those additions will complement the team, be a detriment, or simply have no discernable effect.

We had back-to-back Top Five recruiting classes, but that did not result in a "better" team in the long run due to defections, internal strife, dismissals, coaching deficiciences, bad chemistry, etc.

The proof is in the pudding...not the recipe.
Believe me when I say this...Everyone in the SEC wanted Tennessee's Talent. Just look at who was there with DeShields. They were without a Coach!

this thread certainly has been around the world on a bunch of issues.....

someone mentioned DeShields and more or less said that thank goodness she came to Knoxville, made us a lot better.... I always have disagreed with that.... she was quite the diva.... was not held accountable as the rest of team was similarly not held accountable..... of course she was destined to get better in the pros.... because she certainly did not have that at college level.....

i also read that someone was advocating Jordan to be our point guard....really? .... i think that is a problematic choice....

Ultimately, our program is in the position it is in now because the AD allowed Holly for 8 years.... extended period of time .... to run the program into a ditch.... She would recruit top players.... then welcome them to Camp Holly, where they were not required to hustle.... not required to listen to her.... it is no wonder why, to me at least, why a Rhyne H or a Keke from Knoxville can go to a Kentucky and flourish.....

Hopefully CKH can turn things around.... average players will do!!! Look at what Alabama and Arkansas have done to us with our roster.... as they say hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.... I see the highlights of Pat's teams 20 years ago..... unbelievable.... and then to hear Holly say she could not ask any more effort from them and she was so proud of them...

etc etc

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN

VN Store

Back